EmperorNero

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 03:30 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
If I take your ideas, you can still use them. I've deprived you of nothing.

Night Ripper,
What you are saying is, that if you copy my intangible property, you physically left me with control of it, thus you didn't steal it. But it would be mistaken to apply a physical conception of 'stealing' to intangible property. When we are speaking about intangible property, as opposed to physical property, our conception of 'stealing' has to change too. If you copy my stuff, I still have it, physically, but you took the utility away from me, which, after all, is the point of having property.
If you copy someones intangible property, you deprive him of the use that he had intended for it, selling it for money, in the same way that taking someones car deprives him of the use he had for it, getting to work.

The difference between material and immaterial property is only how you deprive someone of the utility of his property. For physical property that process is a physical manipulation, like driving the car away or cutting all the wires in the engine, but for intangible property that process is not a physical manipulation.

Of course, the specifics have to be figured out by someone, you shouldn't be able to copyright too general concepts. But just designating all intangible structures to the realm of non-ownability wouldn't be very meaningful in a 21st century knowledge economy. The conflict resolution agencies would have to figure out the details. So intangible property rights would work fine within voluntarism.

Night Ripper wrote:
I also disagree with intangible property rights because they make claims of control on other people's property.

Not really. You couldn't write a Harry Potter novel on your own, the only way you would "have" that intangible property is if you got it from it's creator.

Night Ripper wrote:
There are two ways in which one my obtain property, by trading for it or by claiming unowned property.

Intangible property can be created out of nothing, because it in intangible. It is created by human labor.
Night Ripper

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 04:06 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
If you copy my stuff, I still have it, physically, but you took the utility away from me, which, after all, is the point of having property.

The point of having a car is to drive around in the car. The point of having a novel is to read it. How have I deprived you of that utility by copying it? I haven't.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 04:07 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
The point of having a car is to drive around in the car. The point of having a novel is to read it. How have I deprived you of that utility by copying it? I haven't.

To the author, and original owner, the point may be to sell it. And yes you have, and you don't get to pretend like it's "nothing" taken from him by deciding what the "point" of the novel is.
Night Ripper

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 04:21 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
To the author, and original owner, the point may be to sell it.

Which he can still do. Do you think his copy suddenly vanishes and he can no longer sell it just because I made a copy?
EmperorNero

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 04:30 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
EmperorNero wrote:
If you copy my stuff, I still have it, physically, but you took the utility away from me, which, after all, is the point of having property.

Now come on, Night Ripper. Childish hippies may utter that argument, but not you. The author does not write the novel because he wants to read it, his utility is selling it for money. Otherwise you could just say that since a car company does not want to drive it's cars, stealing a car from the lot of a car company does not take utility away from them.

If you would steal someones car at night, drive it around, fill the tank back up and park it where it was, you deprive him of no utility. So would that not deprive him of the property rights of his car?
Night Ripper

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 04:36 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
Childish hippies may utter that argument, but not you.

Immature douches may insult other people, but not you.

EmperorNero wrote:
The author does not write the novel because he wants to read it, his utility is selling it for money.

He can still sell it.
EmperorNero

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 04:40 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

EmperorNero wrote:
Childish hippies may utter that argument, but not you.

Immature douches may insult other people, but not you.

That wasn't meant as an insult. I like your posts. It was meant like "you are better than that", it was a compliment.

Night Ripper wrote:
EmperorNero wrote:
The author does not write the novel because he wants to read it, his utility is selling it for money.

He can still sell it.

Property rights is a right to control something, not the right to derive utility from something. Even if copying actually doesn't diminish it's value, which is unlikely since obviously you wanted it, that doesn't excuse taking it. If you would steal someones car at night, drive it around, fill the tank back up and park it where it was, you deprive him of no utility. So would that not deprive him of the property rights of his car?
Night Ripper

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 04:53 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
That wasn't meant as an insult. I like your posts. It was meant like "you are better than that", it was a compliment.

Well, if your "X may do Y, but not you" wasn't an insult then neither was mine.

EmperorNero wrote:
Property rights is a right to control something, not the right to derive utility from something. If you would steal someones car at night, drive it around, fill the tank back up and park it where it was, you deprive him of no utility. So would that not deprive him of the property rights of his car?

That's not analogous. You're also begging the question by starting with the presupposition that an artist owns not just his copy but all copies of some bit of artwork.

Let's say you have a lemonade stand selling lemonade for a dollar and then I open lemonade stand next to yours and start giving it away for free. According to your reasoning, I've deprived you of the utility of selling your lemonade.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 05:01 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
Which he can still do. Do you think his copy suddenly vanishes and he can no longer sell it just because I made a copy?

No, why would you make up such an absurd thing to argue against instead of what I've already said?

You make it less scarce by copying it and thusly diminish its value and the writer's ability to sell it (by establishing the right of anyone to just take it from him instead of buying it).
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 05:09 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
Let's say you have a lemonade stand selling lemonade for a dollar and then I open lemonade stand next to yours and start giving it away for free. According to your reasoning, I've deprived you of the utility of selling your lemonade.

And in many places predatory pricing is illegal under antitrust laws.
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 05:10 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
You're also begging the question by starting with the presupposition that an artist owns not just his copy but all copies of some bit of artwork.

I didn't say that. An artist does not own any copies of artwork, he owns the intangible structure, sort off like a spirit. If you buy a physical copy of the work, on a CD or a book, you own it, but the artist still owns the intangible spirit itself. If you copy the CD, you take away the authors right to control the spirit.

And why would that be begging the question?

Night Ripper wrote:
Let's say you have a lemonade stand selling lemonade for a dollar and then I open lemonade stand next to yours and start giving it away for free. According to your logic, I've deprived you of the utility of selling your lemonade.

Yes, you did. In a free market we constantly deprive each others of utility, every time you buy something you raise the price of that product for everybody else. If you change something in your yard, your neighbors house might lose in value. That's precisely why "depriving someone of the utility of his property" is not the yardstick which determines stealing, but "depriving someone of his right to control".
EmperorNero

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 05:12 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
You make it less scarce by copying it and thusly diminish its value and the writer's ability to sell it (by establishing the right of anyone to just take it from him instead of buying it).

Diminishing someones ability to sell something is not stealing. By that standard every company that competes in the market is stealing from all the other producers of that product.

"Making something scarce" isn't stealing either, you do that every time you buy groceries.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 05:13 pm
@EmperorNero,
Good thing I didn't say anything about stealing then, isn't it?
EmperorNero

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 05:17 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Good thing I didn't say anything about stealing then, isn't it?

That's semantics... what do you call 'depriving someone of his property rights'?
Night Ripper

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 06:30 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
I didn't say that. An artist does not own any copies of artwork, he owns the intangible structure, sort off like a spirit. If you buy a physical copy of the work, on a CD or a book, you own it, but the artist still owns the intangible spirit itself. If you copy the CD, you take away the authors right to control the spirit.

This is where we disagree and I don't see any way of you convincing me to agree with you since the only reason why I allow that physical property is legitimate is because it is scarce.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 06:40 pm
@EmperorNero,
But I didn't say that either, I'm not sure exactly what part of what I actually said you are disagreeing with.
EmperorNero

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 07:03 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

But I didn't say that either, I'm not sure exactly what part of what I actually said you are disagreeing with.

Well, you say copying intellectual property is a violation of property rights because it diminishes the value of of that intellectual property. But that is not why. You diminish the value of someone elses property every time you put a similar product on the market.
Copyright infringement is a violation of property rights because copying someones intellectual property is infringing on his right to exclusively control it.
EmperorNero

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 07:05 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:
This is where we disagree and I don't see any way of you convincing me to agree with you since the only reason why I allow that physical property is legitimate is because it is scarce.

Immaterial property is scarce as well. We pay for it, so it's per definition scarce.
Night Ripper

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 12:14 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:

Night Ripper wrote:

Immaterial property is scarce as well. We pay for it, so it's per definition scarce.

Uh, no. If I steal a CD from the store, there's one less CD for others. If I copy a song, there isn't one less copy of that song for others. That's what I mean by scarce.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 12:37 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
Well, you say copying intellectual property is a violation of property rights because it diminishes the value of of that intellectual property. But that is not why.

No, I didn't say that either. I was refuting a claim Night Ripper made to the effect that copying the idea takes "nothing" from the idea's author. I made no such claim about property rights in doing so.

This is now the third time I'm telling you that you are arguing against an argument I did not make. If you aren't willing to take my word for it why don't you just read what I did say for yourself and take note of how it doesn't contain the argument you are refuting.