What is the correct spelling of the cooking term 'shitrein'? Does it even exist?

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 01:18 pm
Help! The meaning is something like 'an amount determined according to the cook's sense of rightness,' as opposed to a fixed quantity such as a cup or tablespoon. I could not find the term anywhere.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,682 • Replies: 5
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 06:25 pm
Can't find it in my 1940 edition of Encyclopedia of Cooking or my Food Lover's Companion (2009)

From where is the origin of the term?

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 05:02 am
@Chef Henry,
'Schitt' is in German the colloquial form of the vulgar "Scheiße"; 'rein' means "clean".

I could imagine that this term was used with e.g. some poultry recipes or similar, centuries ago.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 07:47 am
I was thinking it was a German or Yiddish idiom.

This is very interesting to me and I would really like to find this term myself.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 09:36 am
@PUNKEY,
It might be the Yiddish "**** a rein" (in German: 'schütt' es rein'), which just means that you can take a [little] bit more, (translation: pour it in), don't look at the quantity ...
0 Replies

TomBrooklyn

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 07:11 pm
The root of shitrein, ****, is a perjorative for feces. It is commonly used as a curse word and is considered vulgar.

It would therefore not be appropriate to use this word when referring to food in polite company.
0 Replies