Three past normal ?

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 09:47 pm

"When the rats were gently nudged to stay awake three or six hours past their normal sleep times"?

I cannot get the meaning of "three or six hours past their normal sleep times" clearly. Supposed the rats' normal sleep time is 8 hours, what is 3 or 6 hours past the 8 hours? Gosh, I am so confused. Very Happy

Context:

The authors measured levels of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the energy currency of cells, in rats. They found that ATP levels in four key brain regions normally active during wakefulness increased when the rats were in non-REM sleep, but were accompanied by an overall decrease in brain activity. When the animals were awake, ATP levels were steady. When the rats were gently nudged to stay awake three or six hours past their normal sleep times, there was no increase in ATP.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100629170924.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 605 • Replies: 4
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 06:22 am
means= when they were kept awake three hours after they normally would be asleep.

oristarA

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 06:40 am
@PUNKEY,
Thank you.
But I still didn't get it very clearly.

Sopposed their sleep time is 9 PM. At this point (9:00PM), the researchers began to (gently) nudge the rats to keep them awake for 3 or 6 hours?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 06:59 am
exactly.

If they normally went to sleep at 9pm, the researchers would keep them awake until midnight or 1am.

They wanted the rats to be over tired.
oristarA

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 07:15 am
@chai2,
Thank you.
0 Replies