Little girls give away free lemonade. Conservative columnist is outraged.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:27 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Well, the mother of the other girl had the right to tell her daughter that selling the flowers was wrong.
I will not impugn the mother 's freedom of speech.

Any other citizen has an equal right to speak freely,
including daughter.

Plain, what woud u have said on this point,
if the mother (instead of discussing flowers)
had told her daughter anything of which u strongly disapprove; something that u hold to be anathema ?

plainoldme wrote:
When two rights are in conflict, one is not a right is something I was taught.
I recognize that from Ayn Rand.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:29 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:
Yes, and I believe in that, but not everyone else does.
Yes; I was in conversation with someone who disbelieves in incarnate existence. He deems it illusionary.

David
wayne

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:37 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I felt my purpose as a parent was to help my child to see all the evidence and teach her to make her own decisions. It is readily apparent that many others can't ,or won't , understand this. The proof is in the pudding, my grown daughter is definitly incarnate.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:44 pm
@wayne,
Quote:
I felt my purpose as a parent was to help my child to see all the evidence and teach her to make her own decisions. It is readily apparent that many others can't ,or won't , understand this. The proof is in the pudding, my grown daughter is definitly incarnate.

Here Here! my brother....I think there are about 6 of us left who remember what the primary mission of parenting is. Everyone else is trying to keep their kids safe from all harm real and imagined, and/or are living their kids lives for them.

We should form a club, maybe we could convince others that the old ways were better than the modern ways.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:51 pm
@realjohnboy,
G'night, John
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 10:06 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:
I felt my purpose as a parent was to help my child to see all the evidence and teach her to make her own decisions.
KUDOS!!! I agree with u with enthusiasm.

David
wayne

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:09 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Glad to know there are at lest three of us left.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:37 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Dunno---this column sounds like satire to me. Are you sure this isn't just an incompatibility between your sense of humor and the columnist's?

Well, it's on the frontpage of the Money-section in Monday's issue ...

http://i49.tinypic.com/2yxomkm.jpg

Quote:
Terry Savage is a nationally known expert on personal finance, the markets and the economy. She writes a nationally syndicated financial column for the Chicago Sun-Times. She is also a regular contributor to TheStreet.com and Moneyshow.com. Terry is also co-host of a daily 2-hour morning television show in Chicago on CBS-TV, featuring talk about money, the markets, business, and sports.

Source: http://blogs.suntimes.com/savage/
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:53 am

That does not necessarily prevent her from kidding around.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 03:59 am
US conservatives seem to enjoy getting outraged. In fact I sometimes think that outrage is their default state. What does that say?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:42 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:
US conservatives seem to enjoy getting outraged.
In fact I sometimes think that outrage is their default state. What does that say?
It says we don 't want things to be done rong.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:51 am
@nimh,
I 'm a Barry Goldwater & Ludwig von Mises conservative.

I 'm also a hedonist.

I 'd have been tempted to give the girls a counter-gift, like maybe a $50 bill.

I 've done that b4, for fun: e.g., buy an ice cream pop from
an outdoor vendor in the summer with a $50 bill and leave
without any change, or drop dimes n quarters into the grass
from a passing hot air balloon, like an Easter Egg Hunt.

" The quality of mercy is not strain'd,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes."
The Merchant of Venice Act 4 Scene 1

David
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 07:23 am
Quote:
If we can't teach our kids the basics of running a lemonade stand, how can we ever teach Congress the basics of economics?

Or maybe it's the other way around: The kids are learning from the society around them. No one has ever taught them there's no free lunch -- and all they see is "free," not the result of hard work, and saving, and scrimping.

This article is quite bizarre.
Does everything have to be about teaching kids about the value money?

(Assuming this story is true... & who know? It's possible .. ) these little girls are the subject of criticism for not being earnest little bean counters. How about they be applauded instead, for their selfless spirit of generosity? Do you always have to get something back for your "investment"? What about the value of learning about the sheer pleasure of giving, with absolutely no strings attached? Me, I think they have far more community spirit in their little fingers than the mean-spirited author of this ridiculous article.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 10:32 am
@OmSigDAVID,
You lost me trough most of this.

You recognize Ayn Rand said when two rights are in conflict? Rand had a hierarchy of rights.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:24 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Dunno---this column sounds like satire to me. Are you sure this isn't just an incompatibility between your sense of humor and the columnist's?

Nope to you and the people who thumbed up your post. Read up about Terry Savage. She's serious.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 10:33 pm
I watched a television program recently that made the statement that the Mall of America is the symbol of America, and they were serious. There seems to be something wrong with that, imo.
failures art

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 11:10 pm
If Mrs Savage had delivered her dissertation on lemonade economics from anywhere other than her car running on fossil fuels, I'd perhaps take a moment to hear her out on the "real cost of things." She has decided that because people often charge for lemonade, that people must charge for lemonade.

If in her daughter's teenage years, she happens to catch one of them fooling around with a boy, it is not hard to imagine Mrs Savage scolding them, and demanding to know "Well, how much did you charge!?"

If lemonade is an old trade worth investigation, the world's oldest profession might hold some clues as to Mrs Savage's views on economics. It seems that prostitutes are simply abiding by sound economics, and the real whores are little girls with free refreshments.

A
R
T
roger

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 11:22 pm
@wayne,
Since I suppose they were serious, that is kind of disturbing.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 01:18 am

Everyone has the right to express an opinion; no big deal.
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 01:42 am
@failures art,
Or these choir-boys seducing Old priests for nothing !
0 Replies