reduce the number of items damaged

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 12:11 pm
Please look at this English text ....

Quote:
In order to reduce the number of items damaged while in transit to customers, packaging consultants recommended that the TrueSave mail-order company increase the amount of packing material so as to fi ll any empty spaces in its cartons. Accordingly, TrueSave offi cials instructed the company’s packers to use more packing material than before, and the packers zealously acted on these instructions and used as much as they could. Nevertheless, customer reports of damaged items rose somewhat.

>>>>TrueSave mail-order company .

mail-order company ? is it just letter delivery company then ?

>>so as to fi ll any empty spaces in its cartons ...this part is beyond understanding,

what is empty space and cartoon here ?could you please elaborate this line ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 10,364 • Replies: 13
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 02:00 pm
@tintin-and-calculus,
tintin-and-calculus wrote:

>>>>TrueSave mail-order company .

mail-order company ? is it just letter delivery company then ?

No. It is a retailer that advertises by mail or internet, and ships merchandise by mail, or other delivery service.

>>so as to fi ll any empty spaces in its cartons ...this part is beyond understanding,

No, it isn't. A carton is a box. Anything in a box that is breakable will probably be damaged is there is enough empty space for it to rattle around in. Packing material is used to keep the merchandise from moving inside the box.

what is empty space and cartoon here ?could you please elaborate this line ?
0 Replies

tintin-and-calculus

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:58 am
>>packers zealously ..

could you guess why the author could write this word zealously ? I don't think there has to be any zealously at all...its a plaim simple work upon company instruction.
Crandor

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 03:40 am
@tintin-and-calculus,
tintin-and-calculus wrote:
>>packers zealously ..

could you guess why the author could write this word zealously ? I don't think there has to be any zealously at all...its a plaim simple work upon company instruction.

The author may mean that the employees, eager to adjust to the new instructions, put too much padding into the packages.
0 Replies

tintin-and-calculus

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 09:37 am
Thanks . I am comfortable.

but I don't understand the use of the word zealously

>>packers zealously ..

There is nothing to be zealous here. This looks to me weired usage.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 01:42 am
@tintin-and-calculus,

They're packing things into a box, here called a "carton"

The box is not full, so they have to put extra packing material in, to fill up the empty space, and so protect the contents from damage during transit.

Be careful of the difference in meaning between "carton" and "cartoon".
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 01:45 am
@tintin-and-calculus,

Quote:

It's okay to use that word here....it means they fully and enthusiastically complied with their packing instructions, (but despite that, goods still got damage in transit.)
0 Replies

J Lord

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 10:19 pm
@tintin-and-calculus,
A "mail order" company ships merchandise bought and paid for over distances. Amazon.com, Ebay, sell things this way. They do NOT do the 'delivery' part and so are not 'letter delivery' companies such as DHL or UPS. The mail order company takes the order for the merchandise, packs it up, and then hands it off to a company like UPS or DHL or a postal service to deliver it - after the mail order company has first packaged it. The mail order company is not responsible for delivering it and the delivery company is not responsible for how the item was packaged. In this way, if the item arrives damaged, they can both blame each other, unless you paid extra for shipping insurance.

Filling all the spaces:
Example: a fragile piece of glassware, perhaps a vase about 3 inches in diameter, and 8 inches tall, shipped in a carton (which is a cardboard box), where the carton might be rectilinear (all sides rectangles or square) which might measure 8" by 8 " by 12". If you simply put the vase in the box and ship it, the vase will be tumbled around in the box during shipping and get broken against the insides of the box. If the vase is wrapped in bubble wrap in such a way that it has at least 2 inches or more of padding on any side and packed so that it can NOT shift around inside the carton (box), then it should arrive undamaged, unless the box got seriously squashed into dimensions smaller than the vase. In most cases, if you don't pack something well enough to survive a 5 foot drop onto concrete, it stands a good chance of arriving with damage. "Filling all empty space" must be done with padding materials and provide sufficient distance between the object and the side of the box. A relative once shipped me a large carton of glass dinner dishes, bowls and heavy glasses and all the empty space was filled - with the glassware. He had added NO padding, not even crumpled newspapers or paper towels between the plates in the stack. He shipped about 40 pieces of glassware. About 500-1000 pieces were found in the carton when it was opened. One bowl and two of the heavier glasses somehow survived - probably using the crushed remains of the other glassware as 'padding' - LOL! Oh well, we didn't have kitchen space for all the other plates anyway.
0 Replies

nothingtodo

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:32 am
@tintin-and-calculus,
RE: Zealously,

Yes I concur, it is inappropriate, though it is an extravagant technique at padding ones language for the purposes of more intricate and ... What some would term 'wonderful' conversation.

We imagine them hopping to it, enthusiastically, when in the workplace itself it feels nothing like that.
Which to myself prompts thoughts of machines doing more and more of it. Sooner rather than later.
parados

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:38 am
@nothingtodo,
Zealously is very appropriate. It signifies that the packers acted in a zealous fashion. They were overly eager in how they responded to the directive.

The following sentences clearly show a difference that is defined by the word zealously.

The packers used too much fill.
vs
The packers zealously used too much fill.
JTT

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 12:28 pm
@parados,
I must commend you on your use of facts to make your point, Parados.

What in heaven's name came over you?
parados

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 02:18 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

I must commend you on your use of facts to make your point, Parados.

What in heaven's name came over you?

For some reason I felt like not committing a war crime at that particular moment. It won't happen again as I now feel like going out and being a real USA citizen.
JTT

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 06:29 pm
@parados,
Immediately back to your paradosian ways.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 07:53 pm
@parados,
A very appropriate reply.
0 Replies