Who destroyed philosophy?

jeeprs

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 06:46 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:
Apparently, then, you believe that as long as someone says that a religious belief is true, it is true? And if there are conflicting religious beliefs, and long as both are believed, both are true?

No. You have to find out what you think is true, and declare it. You need to make a stand, and say 'this is what I believe to be true'. In such questions, what someone else believes to be true is valuable only if it is meaningful to you, if you can validate it and verify it in your own experience.

In the case of Philosophy, there are key values which are held in esteem, for example sobriety, detachment, self-discipline, wisdom and reason. I think what has happened in Western religious and philosophical thinking is that many of these traditional virtues have been neglected due to dogmatic religion, which absorbs everything into 'believe and be saved'. The kind of philosophical spirituality which was typical of the Greek tradition has been absorbed into religious dogma and we are conditioned to think of it a certain way. If you can imaginatively go back to an earlier time and understand the tradition in the spirit in which it was intended, it is quite a different attitude to that which we now associate with 'religious views'. So when I say that Plato was a religious philosopher, he was religious in quite a different way, or spirit, to how the word is commonly interpreted in popular culture today.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 12:45 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

Quote:
Apparently, then, you believe that as long as someone says that a religious belief is true, it is true? And if there are conflicting religious beliefs, and long as both are believed, both are true?

No. You have to find out what you think is true, and declare it. You need to make a stand, and say 'this is what I believe to be true'. In such questions, what someone else believes to be true is valuable only if it is meaningful to you, if you can validate it and verify it in your own experience.

In the case of Philosophy, there are key values which are held in esteem, for example sobriety, detachment, self-discipline, wisdom and reason. I think what has happened in Western religious and philosophical thinking is that many of these traditional virtues have been neglected due to dogmatic religion, which absorbs everything into 'believe and be saved'. The kind of philosophical spirituality which was typical of the Greek tradition has been absorbed into religious dogma and we are conditioned to think of it a certain way. If you can imaginatively go back to an earlier time and understand the tradition in the spirit in which it was intended, it is quite a different attitude to that which we now associate with 'religious views'. So when I say that Plato was a religious philosopher, he was religious in quite a different way, or spirit, to how the word is commonly interpreted in popular culture today.

I wonder what it means for some statement to me true if in order for it to be true it is necessary only to declare that it is true. In that case, whatever you think is true is, ipso facto true simply in virtue of the fact that you think it is true, so there is, in effect, no distinction between thinking some statement is true and its being true. Such a view leads to contradictions (in any ordinary meaning of the term, "true") since it implies that statements that contradict each other may both be true if only both are thought (and declared) to be true. So that, for example, it may be true both that God exists and God doss not exist if only a theist and and atheist think what they think. Whatever "truth" means under such a description, its only connection with truth as it is ordinarily understood, is simply the coincidence that the two kinds of truth are designated by a word that is spelled and pronounced the same way. Otherwise, there is nothing the same. They might just as well be two different words, and it is deceptive to pretend that we mean the same thing by both, although it may comfort someone to think that he is speaking about truth in such a way that contradiction can both be true, and still means truth as he understands it, such a person is deceiving himself. The kind of thing he designates as " truth", and what is ordinarily designated as "truth" have no more in common than cheese and chalk.

Even if you were right, and Plato was a "religious philosopher" (whatever that meant at the time) why should Plato become the standard for all philosophy? Is it possible that among all of creation, only philosophy does not evolve (or not to beg questions) change?
fresco

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 01:08 am
@kennethamy,
Quote:
ordinarily designated as "truth"

If you rely on that, and all your posts suggest that you do, you fail as a "philosopher".
kennethamy

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 01:29 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:
ordinarily designated as "truth"

If you rely on that, and all your posts suggest that you do, you fail as a "philosopher".

It is wrong to say I rely on that. But I do start with that as the default position. Have you a better idea? But, of course, to say that is my default position, is not to say that I consider I will end up with that position. If considerations are brought up which make it reasonable to change my mind, I will (I hope) do so. At any rate, you would be mistaken to think that I believe that the default position is the the correct position. But I see no reason to think that two beliefs that contradict one another can both be true in any sense of that word that makes any sense. Do you? If, as Aristotle said, to say what is true is to say that what is, is, then how could two beliefs that contradict each other, both say that what is, is? I wonder whether you have a reply to that.

I am not saying that "the conventional wisdom" need be true. After all, we know of many cases when that is not the case. But you appear to be saying that the conventional wisdom is never true, and that it is (somehow) unphilosophical to think that it is ever true, and I see no good reason to believe that. Do you?
0 Replies

SammDickens

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 01:42 am
@someone2010,
someone2010 wrote:

Was it kant, wittgenstein, heidegger, or nietzsche?

Nope. It was Col. Mustard in the Library with the Rope.
jeeprs

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 02:29 am
@kennethamy,
Quote:
I wonder what it means for some statement to me true if in order for it to be true it is necessary only to declare that it is true. In that case, whatever you think is true is, ipso facto true simply in virtue of the fact that you think it is true, so there is, in effect, no distinction between thinking some statement is true and its being true

Pascal's wager: there are some types of issues for which there is no adjudication possible, no 'court of appeal'. With a scientific hypothesis, we can try and find something which falsifies the hypothesis. But for many questions which philosophy poses, however, no such method might be available. We have to make a judgement about it, and I would hope that if we weigh up all the evidence we are aware of, seek to educate ourselves about the issue, then the decision we make is at least the best one we can make, even recognising that it might never be possible to know all there is to know about the matter. Many of the questions of philosophy are like that. There are very cogent arguments made by persons with similar levels of education and background which draw opposite conclusions. As by their nature many of them are really beyond empirical demonsration, there is no judge we can go to and say 'settle this matter for us'. The only judge is our own conscience. We basically have to decide an attitude.

In some sense, in regards to the ultimate questions of life, there is an unavoidable sense of uncertainty, of really not being able to say what the case is. Many are unable to tolerate this sense of not really knowing. We are impatient about it. 'Let's not deal with all of this kind of business. We're sensible people.' But the fact is, the unknown is at the centre of existence. 'Things we cannot know' don't just concern the ultimate nature of the universe. They impinge on us day to day. Generally the modern person will actually repress this sense, but like anything repressed, it turns up in other ways. According to philosopher David Loy, it turns up as a sense of lack which we are constantly trying to fill. I am sure this is the case for many people.

Why should Plato be the standard for all philosophy? Well, you could do worse...of course, we know much more now, much of his thinking is archaic, he should not be worshipped, but at least he should be remembered correctly, and I think appreciating the spiritual aspect of Plato's thought is very important for Western culture. And I agree that philosophy must change, but there are some questions that need to be re-discovered by each generation also. Some would say that this sense of the massive disjunction between the modern world and classical civilization is not a matter of progress but degeneration

As to the general question of the nature of the reality of an Absolute, this is indeed something beyond the scope of thought and the laws of the excluded middle. This is because of the limits of human thought and logic itself. It has a certain range, but some things are beyond it. Perhaps the best we can do is to see where the limits lie.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 06:21 am
@SammDickens,
Like the slavemaster he used to be, the Colonel put his militia soldiers to work. Sgt. DaviD took his Springfield riffle and shot Lizz SignOff !

This Library was enormeous; every book ... Bart S. the "Colonel" threw his torch inside. Soon there would be no more Library; everything would be at his Fingertips ! So he thought >O<
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 06:51 am
Good discussion guys, allow me to chime in here on a few points.

Truth tends to be such a sticky concept; not because it needs to be, but because our use of this semantic causes it to be.

- Truth only exists in relation to a specific context (e.g., "It is true that the sun came up this morning")

- "Truth" as a generalized concept has no meaning, no substance (such as "Ultimate Truth" - which cutsie and flowery as it sounds, has no reference for another mind on which to grab - and therefore has no worth, value or reference on its own).

- Then we do the old Self-Declaring trick (It is true that what is true is true); again, not worth a damn since its a circular, self-declaring reference. Its a snake that eats its own tail; the mind expects it'll POOF out of existence, yet it can't.

- What one believes to be true (within a specific context) and what IS true are two separate notions. They may or may not be in agreement. But while truth exists in the mind of the perceiver (as a concept), with regard to any assertion, there IS "The Truth". I think it extremely important we make a differentiation between "What is" and "What we think there is".

My Opinion: No one destroyed philosophy and no single philosopher ought to be the "standard" for anything. Celebrity Philosophers are fine as a reference point when discussing this or that idea, but I've found even the very best to each to be woefully flawed in one way or another. Hero worship is understandable, but NO philosopher has it ALL right nor should any of us forget that each celebrity was a victim of his or her own timeframe, condition and existential context.

Anyone (anywhere, from any time) can be called "spiritual" since the term has no real definition that's generally accepted by its acolytes. Anyone (anywhere, from any time) can be called "materialist" since we all refer to - and generally live in - the material world. These keep cropping up, as ostensive attempts to praise or vilify - bad form I say. Anyone could be labeled thusly, therefore, no one ought to be - its far to limiting and baseless.

Thanks
kennethamy

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 07:17 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

Quote:
I wonder what it means for some statement to me true if in order for it to be true it is necessary only to declare that it is true. In that case, whatever you think is true is, ipso facto true simply in virtue of the fact that you think it is true, so there is, in effect, no distinction between thinking some statement is true and its being true

Pascal's wager: there are some types of issues for which there is no adjudication possible, no 'court of appeal'. With a scientific hypothesis, we can try and find something which falsifies the hypothesis. But for many questions which philosophy poses, however, no such method might be available. We have to make a judgement about it, and I would hope that if we weigh up all the evidence we are aware of, seek to educate ourselves about the issue, then the decision we make is at least the best one we can make, even recognising that it might never be possible to know all there is to know about the matter. Many of the questions of philosophy are like that. There are very cogent arguments made by persons with similar levels of education and background which draw opposite conclusions. As by their nature many of them are really beyond empirical demonsration, there is no judge we can go to and say 'settle this matter for us'. The only judge is our own conscience. We basically have to decide an attitude.

In some sense, in regards to the ultimate questions of life, there is an unavoidable sense of uncertainty, of really not being able to say what the case is. Many are unable to tolerate this sense of not really knowing. We are impatient about it. 'Let's not deal with all of this kind of business. We're sensible people.' But the fact is, the unknown is at the centre of existence. 'Things we cannot know' don't just concern the ultimate nature of the universe. They impinge on us day to day. Generally the modern person will actually repress this sense, but like anything repressed, it turns up in other ways. According to philosopher David Loy, it turns up as a sense of lack which we are constantly trying to fill. I am sure this is the case for many people.

Why should Plato be the standard for all philosophy? Well, you could do worse...of course, we know much more now, much of his thinking is archaic, he should not be worshipped, but at least he should be remembered correctly, and I think appreciating the spiritual aspect of Plato's thought is very important for Western culture. And I agree that philosophy must change, but there are some questions that need to be re-discovered by each generation also. Some would say that this sense of the massive disjunction between the modern world and classical civilization is not a matter of progress but degeneration

As to the general question of the nature of the reality of an Absolute, this is indeed something beyond the scope of thought and the laws of the excluded middle. This is because of the limits of human thought and logic itself. It has a certain range, but some things are beyond it. Perhaps the best we can do is to see where the limits lie.

But Pascal's wager does not tell us that we can make the proposition "God exists" true simply by believing it is true. His isn't a kind of proof of God at all. It is merely at attempt to argue that if a person believes in God, he is better off that a person who does not. It has nothing whatever to do with truth. It has to do with the pragmatic virtues of belief. To think it has anything to do with truth is a woeful misunderstanding. Even William James who, in his Will to Believe took Pascal's ball and ran into a wall with it, did not go so far as to argue that mere belief in God somehow created the truth of theism.

I did not say that Plato was not a great philosopher. I merely pointed out that he is not a standard for the nature of philosophy. And the reply, we could do worse is no reply at all. We could do worse than Descartes, and certainly, Hume too. But none of them should be held up as standards. And none of them would want to be, for all of them prized reason above all else. That is why they were such great philosophers. The truly depressing thing for me is the title of this thread with its foolish assumption that because philosophy is not as the op conceived it to be, or as he thinks it ought to be, that it is philosophy's fault. It is just idiotic to think that because some cuisine is not what you would like it to be, that the cuisine is faulty. And, it is really, the height of arrogant dogmatism.

Actually, I think we all of us, deep in our hearts, know the answer to the ultimate questions of life. But we fear acknowledging that we know them. As Houseman wrote, "We live alone and afraid in a world we never made".
Khethil

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 07:24 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
But Pascal's wager does not tell us that we can make the proposition "God exists" true simply by believing it is true. His isn't a kind of proof of God at all. It is merely at attempt to argue that if a person believes in God, he is better off that a person who does not. It has nothing whatever to do with truth. It has to do with the pragmatic virtues of belief. To think it has anything to do with truth is a woeful misunderstanding. Even William James who, in his Will to Believe took Pascal's ball and ran into a wall with it, did not go so far as to argue that mere belief in God somehow created the truth of theism.

Thank you! I read this thread earlier and hit the same "What has that got to do with anything"-reaction. I; however, was too lazy to respond as well as you did. Kudos
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 10:13 am
@Khethil,
Khet: no one aside from Ken even Implied that belief makes something true. Ken erroneously, as usual, extrapolated something way out of context. I was expressing that there are areas within philosophy in which materialism does not play a part, and he said 'apparently you think that believing in God makes it so.' Some of us were speaking about the inability to not see one's self as an object during introspection. At which point Ken jumped the rails. Thus the pascal's wager post by jeeprs was trying politely to reign someone into the actual conversation.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 11:43 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

Khet: no one aside from Ken even Implied that belief makes something true. Ken erroneously, as usual, extrapolated something way out of context. I was expressing that there are areas within philosophy in which materialism does not play a part, and he said 'apparently you think that believing in God makes it so.' Some of us were speaking about the inability to not see one's self as an object during introspection. At which point Ken jumped the rails. Thus the pascal's wager post by jeeprs was trying politely to reign someone into the actual conversation.

What has Pascal's wager (which Jeeprs was citing as an attempt to justify his view) to do with "the inability to not (sic) see oneself as an object during introspection" (whatever that might mean)? By the way, I think the word you might want is "rein" not "reign" (nor, for that matter, "rain", All homonyms, but meaning different things. But even if you meant rein, and not reign, why do you think whatever you think (if that is the word) about why jeeprs began by talking about Pascal. Even trying to follow you is exhausting. Following you is impossible. You really have to try English. Who knows, you might come to like it.
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 01:37 pm
@kennethamy,
So its down to spelling and whining now. When you can up your reading comprehension game, I'll take the time to up my spelling game. You can't follow 1) because you cannot accept certain premises from which I argue as valid, which is fine, and 2) you seem not to be able to respond to a thread/conversation as a whole, maybe if you could respond to a conversation concerning many posts instead of sentence by sentence in one post as seperate and isolated arguments you might find more success. Feel free not to follow me at your leisure. And since we are being petty, please feel free to read my signature as referring to you.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 02:05 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

So its down to spelling and whining now. When you can up your reading comprehension game, I'll take the time to up my spelling game. You can't follow 1) because you cannot accept certain premises from which I argue as valid, which is fine, and 2) you seem not to be able to respond to a thread/conversation as a whole, maybe if you could respond to a conversation concerning many posts instead of sentence by sentence in one post as seperate and isolated arguments you might find more success. Feel free not to follow me at your leisure. And since we are being petty, please feel free to read my signature as referring to you.

Premises are not valid nor invalid. Arguments are valid or invalid. Premises are true or false.
What premises are you alleging are true? I am surprised to learn there are premises, since if there are premises, there must be an argument, and I was unaware that you had made an argument. If there is an argument (about what?) please do let me in on it. It would be a refreshing change. But, could you couch the argument into plain English rather than academese? Of course, I am ready to accept anything from you, but a sound argument (A valid argument with true premises) would be much appreciated, although hardly to be hoped for.
fresco

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 04:33 pm
@kennethamy,
Aristotelian logic is to philosophy as Newton's laws are to quantum electro dynamics.

0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 04:35 pm
@kennethamy,
My reference to Pascal's Wager was not an attempt to 'prove the existence of God' or even justify a viewpoint. It was a comment about the kinds of questions for which there are no logical or empirical proofs. We can't say 'OK, let's go and see Professor Blogs, he knows the answer'. Nobody knows the answer. And yet you have to decide. This decision is your basic stance, and it is generally pre-rational. It comes from your heart, not your conscious mind.

Quote:
Actually, I think we all of us, deep in our hearts, know the answer to the ultimate questions of life. But we fear acknowledging that we know them. As Houseman wrote, "We live alone and afraid in a world we never made".

Very poignant quote. But that is exactly the predicament from which the pilgrim seeks escape via the Divine Union; which is, of course, out-of-scope for philosophy, as such. All the various faiths, and all that is spiritual in the traditional philosophies, start at this point; it is that from which we are to be delivered. And that is why questions of this nature are existential rather than propositional. You have to really give yourself to the question and have a stake in the answer, as I said previously. This is not the way philosophy is done any more, which is why (in my view) it is no longer a very meaningful discipline. But it is the original impulse behind philosophy.

jeeprs

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 04:58 pm
@Khethil,
Quote:
- "Truth" as a generalized concept has no meaning, no substance (such as "Ultimate Truth" - which cutsie and flowery as it sounds, has no reference for another mind on which to grab - and therefore has no worth, value or reference on its own).

See previous answer Wink
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 05:44 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

My reference to Pascal's Wager was not an attempt to 'prove the existence of God' or even justify a viewpoint. It was a comment about the kinds of questions for which there are no logical or empirical proofs. We can't say 'OK, let's go and see Professor Blogs, he knows the answer'. Nobody knows the answer. And yet you have to decide. This decision is your basic stance, and it is generally pre-rational. It comes from your heart, not your conscious mind.

Quote:

Very poignant quote. But that is exactly the predicament from which the pilgrim seeks escape via the Divine Union; which is, of course, out-of-scope for philosophy, as such. All the various faiths, and all that is spiritual in the traditional philosophies, start at this point; it is that from which we are to be delivered. And that is why questions of this nature are existential rather than propositional. You have to really give yourself to the question and have a stake in the answer, as I said previously. This is not the way philosophy is done any more, which is why (in my view) it is no longer a very meaningful discipline. But it is the original impulse behind philosophy.

So here is another quote, this time from Aristotle:

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. Aristotle.

Agnostics do not think that a decision as to whether God exists or not is what William James called, "a forced option", as do you (and apparently Pascal). Agnostics entertain both the thought that God exists, and the thought that God does not exist, while not accepting either thought.

But it is not true that the question of the existence of God is not one subject to logical or empirical proofs. For one thing, there are arguments for God, and arguments against the existence of God. That Pascal and James happen to think that neither kind of argument is decisive is no proof either that there are no such arguments, nor that the one kind or the other kind is not cogent. Both Pascal and James simply assert there is no way to decide whether or not God exists. That is not an argument, it is only an assertion. Lots of people do not think that is true, and it never follows from the premise that many people are undecided about the issue that the issue is undecidable. There are other explanations for the believe by some that it is undecidable than that it is undecidable. Maybe the existence of God is one of those undecidable issues, but that there is still disagreement is no proof (or even much of an argument) that it is.
jeeprs

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 06:14 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:
Maybe the existence of God is one of those undecidable issues, but that there is still disagreement is no proof (or even much of an argument) that it is.

OK then, which is it? Does God exist, or not?

[splendid quote by Aristotle, by the way. And I think my outlook on the question is still one of agnosticism.)
talk72000

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 08:27 pm
@jeeprs,
I wrote this long ago

o/o is defined as indefinite in mathematics but it is true as Julie Andrews sings 'Nothing comes from nothing'
1/0 is infinite and we know something cannot come from nothing or probability is infinite.

God appearing out of nothing is improbable.