Who destroyed philosophy?

fresco

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 12:11 pm
@GoshisDead,
Maturana would not support "mind" per se, let alone "embodied mind", despite him operating from the bottom-up with respect to language. I'm probably best giving you one of his commentators rather than himself.

http://dissertations.ub.rug.nl/FILES/faculties/ppsw/1998/a.l.goudsmit/c2.pdf

My top-down approach has not to my knowledge been formalized, but you may get the flavour of it by looking at the thoughts on communication in a David Peat paper on " non-locality".

http://www.fdavidpeat.com/bibliography/essays/nat-cog.htm

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 12:51 pm
@fresco,
thx
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 01:45 pm
@GoshisDead,
EXTRACT
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 01:46 pm
long tym no c*
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2010 06:31 pm
A great thread folks
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 01:33 pm
@someone2010,
Enlightmen destroyed classical philosophy, back then we wondered and pondered upon simple things, how they were made, how they function ..etc, now that they'r explained, discovered and clarifyed it's just about getting on using various knowledge.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 03:00 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

Enlightmen destroyed classical philosophy, back then we wondered and pondered upon simple things, how they were made, how they function ..etc, now that they'r explained, discovered and clarifyed it's just about getting on using various knowledge.

Socrates was, I suppose, a "classical philosopher". But Socrates always explained, discovered, and certainly, clarified. As Aristotle wrote, Socrates' philosophy was about looking for definitions. So, what Socrates did is exactly what modern analytic philosophy does now. So how has classical philosophy been destroyed? It hasn't been. (The fact that there are some who do not philosophize like Socrates does not mean that philosophy has been destroyed, for there are many philosophers who emulate Socrates).
t
HexHammer

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 03:15 pm
@kennethamy,
Soc and Ari wasn't the only philosophers in history, sure some of their principles still stands, but that's only minescule.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 03:57 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

Soc and Ari wasn't the only philosophers in history, sure some of their principles still stands, but that's only minescule.

I thought that the point was the charge that philosophy had been destroyed. But if philosophers still do what Socrates and Aristotle did, then how can philosophy have been destroyed? Of course Socrates and Aristotle were not the only philosophers in history, but those who claim that philosophy has been destroyed ought to explain what they mean when they say that, if they do not mean that what Socrates, and Aristotle, (and Descartes or other philosophers) did has not been destroyed, but remains. What, then, has been destroyed?
Zetherin

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 04:24 pm
@someone2010,
someone2010 wrote:

Was it kant, wittgenstein, heidegger, or nietzsche?

Well, to be logical we must consider when these four were born, right? Because assuming that all of these men philosophized and that that wouldn't have been possible had philosophy been destroyed, then it doesn't seem as though we would have a strong case to say that a philosopher that died way before another who philosophized, destroyed philosophy.Example: How would we make the case that Kant destroyed philosophy, if we know that Wittgenstein philosophized 150 years later? And, since we know that there are modern day philosophers, even the man with the latest death in your bunch (Heideggar, 1976), doesn't seem to a suspect for the destroyer of philosophy.

So, in conclusion, I submit that none of these men destroyed philosophy.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 06:01 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

someone2010 wrote:

Well, to be logical we must consider when these four were born, right? Because assuming that all of these men philosophized and that that wouldn't have been possible had philosophy been destroyed, then it doesn't seem as though we would have a strong case to say that a philosopher that died way before another who philosophized, destroyed philosophy.Example: How would we make the case that Kant destroyed philosophy, if we know that Wittgenstein philosophized 150 years later? And, since we know that there are modern day philosophers, even the man with the latest death in your bunch (Heideggar, 1976), doesn't seem to a suspect for the destroyer of philosophy.

So, in conclusion, I submit that none of these men destroyed philosophy.

That is right, and the question remains, what is the philosophy which is supposed to have been destroyed?
Zetherin

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 06:09 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

That is right, and the question remains, what is the philosophy which is supposed to have been destroyed?

I suppose he meant that the activity that is philosophizing, or critical thinking, was in some way tainted or disturbed by the works of these particular philosophers. What that means exactly, I do not know.
kennethamy

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 09:33 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

I suppose he meant that the activity that is philosophizing, or critical thinking, was in some way tainted or disturbed by the works of these particular philosophers. What that means exactly, I do not know.

But who carried on the philosophizing that was tainted by these philosophers if not Socrates, or Plato, or Aristotle, or Descartes? For something to be tainted there has to be something that is tainted. But what is that something if it is not what Socrates etc. did? Does he mean Martian philosophy?
north

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:00 pm
@someone2010,
someone2010 wrote:

none

north

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:06 pm
@north,
north wrote:

someone2010 wrote:

Quote:
none

inotherwords to destroy philosophy means to destroy thought

hasn't happened

0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:21 pm
@kennethamy,
I don't think he meant a particular philosophy, or even specific works of a philosopher. I think he was speaking of philosophy in the abstract. X philosopher destroyed philosophy, is some way of saying that X philosopher abused the idea of philosophy in some way. It would be akin to someone saying, "Steroids are destroying baseball!". Some people have said such things, and they mean that steroids are unsportsmanlike, and that the unfair advantage is making the sport look bad. Maybe he meant that one of those philosophers was giving philosophy a bad image, or was misusing or convoluting the term "philosophy" in some way. I don't know what else it would mean.
north

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 10:31 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

I don't think he meant a particular philosophy, or even specific works of a philosopher. I think he was speaking of philosophy in the abstract. X philosopher destroyed philosophy, is some way of saying that X philosopher abused the idea of philosophy in some way. It would be akin to someone saying, "Steroids are destroying baseball!". Some people have said such things, and they mean that steroids are unsportsmanlike, and that the unfair advantage is making the sport look bad. Maybe he meant that one of those philosophers was giving philosophy a bad image, or was misusing or convoluting the term "philosophy" in some way. I don't know what else it would mean.

you could be right

but until " what is mean't " is defined then how can we go further in this thread ?

we can't
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 03:54 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

HexHammer wrote:

I thought that the point was the charge that philosophy had been destroyed. But if philosophers still do what Socrates and Aristotle did, then how can philosophy have been destroyed? Of course Socrates and Aristotle were not the only philosophers in history, but those who claim that philosophy has been destroyed ought to explain what they mean when they say that, if they do not mean that what Socrates, and Aristotle, (and Descartes or other philosophers) did has not been destroyed, but remains. What, then, has been destroyed?
Just because we use a few % of classical philosohy, doesn't mean it's alive. I don't see how "spontanious genesis" is valid, I don't see how ANY of Kirkegaard has any meaning, but delusional naive ramblings ..etc.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 06:35 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

HexHammer wrote:

Just because we use a few % of classical philosohy, doesn't mean it's alive. I don't see how "spontanious genesis" is valid, I don't see how ANY of Kirkegaard has any meaning, but delusional naive ramblings ..etc.

If philosophy is not alive, then what would it be for philosophy to be alive? What (according to you) is it not?
HexHammer

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 10:47 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
If philosophy is not alive, then what would it be for philosophy to be alive? What (according to you) is it not?
Only if most of human race and our technology gets whiped, we have had to reinvent and rethink everything.

Most of classical philosophy was like shaking wrapped packages guessing what it is, and how it excatly functions, it was filled with superstision and pure spekulation, as I said before sure some of the thinking holds true today, but most are obsolete.
..and the philosophy-sitting-and-ponder has been refined into sientific research, AND!!! ...most philosophy has been clarifyed.