Who destroyed philosophy?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 07:32 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

No I would not, but I have consciously separated myself from the mainstream, though. I didn't know that this was what I was doing when I set out, but that is what happened. Remember the 60's? I was part of the 'counter-culture'. We felt that Western thinking generally had become too materialistic, too driven by science, and had lost all sense of the human relationship to nature. That is why we got interested in Eastern philosophy. Now I have mentioned this before, but you generally seem to have a very negative, or possibly stereotyped, view of Eastern philosophy. But Eastern philosophy is created around the teaching, or the state, of spiritual enlightenment, which I don't think is comprehended or represented in current Western philosophy. (I always get a lot of criticism for saying this.)

I am making an effort to understand current Western philosophy - in fact, speaking of Brian Greene, I am labouring through 'Fabric of the Cosmos' even as we speak. But I still stand by many of my criticisms. Also I think that some Eastern perspectives are becoming part of the mainstream now, mainly by way of the developments in Physics and Philosophy that we have discussed many times previously. I can say without fear of contradiction that quantum theory discredits the perspective of naive realism, or absolute objectivity, or the idea of a mind-independent reality (however you want to put it). This is a very difficult thing for Western philosophy to accept. (Remember the argument about whether the Moon exists if nobody is looking at it? I have learned that Einstein - Einstein! - said exactly the same. In fact I think Western philosophy, in the broadest sense, is literally in a state of crisis at this time.)

'Philosophical knowledge' is no longer something that I believe can be held at arm's length. It can't be formulated and summarized and written down in a series of verbal propositions. Hence my interest in Buddhism, which is not concerned with verbal formulae but with 'realization'. Traditional philosophy had something in common with this, even if the terminology was different: it was a spiritual disicpline and a way of life, aimed at emancipation from the thousands of trivial concerns of worldlings.

Anyway I know all these are very big statements. I really don't want to force them on anyone. This is just my understanding of the matter. Others will have a different view.

Apparently, y0u agree that Plato was a philosopher. It was Plato who proposed that knowledge was justified true belief. In 1960, Edmund Gettier gave strong reasons that although justified true belief did constitute necessary conditions of knowledge, they did not constitute sufficient conditions of knowledge. Isn't what Gettier said in 1960 continuous with what Plato said nearly three centuries before? In the 17th century, Descartes argued that we could (and should) doubt whatever is dubitable. In the later 19th and early 20th century, C. S. Peirce (the founder of American pragmatism) argued that Descartes's conception of doubting was flawed, partly because it allowed doubting to occur although there were no practical consequences of doubting so that one (according to Descartes) could doubt that there was a vase and a table while, at the same time, placing the vase firmly on the table. Are you suggesting that there is no continuity between Descartes and Peirce on the notion of doubt? I think that your feelings of some kind of discontinuity between recent and past philosophy are not justified. What do you think? It is not so much that you don't want to force your views on others, since that suggests that although your views have merit, you can understand why others might not accept them. It is rather that your views (in my opinion) have no merit, or if they do, you have not shown that they do. It seems to me that the view that somehow recent philosophy is completely different from traditional philosophy, and, that somehow, recent philosophy is only a parodic take on traditional philosophy is plainly false, and that there is no good evidence for it. Moreover (and I will speak harshly but candidly here) that view is almost completely fueled by ignorance.
jeeprs

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 07:57 pm
@kennethamy,
Oh well, having recovered my composure from the body blow of your harsh criticism, my argument is with the condition of being modern, with modernity itself. Modern philosophy, so called, is a symptom of that lamentable condition, not a way of ameliorating it. The many crises of modernity aren't just showing up in the philosophy department, but also in environmental and economic stresses which may yet turn into catastrophes. Although you will probably consider that out-of-scope.

While we are at it, and as you never have any compunction in handing out condemnatory judgements, my judgement of you is that philosophy is to you as a carapace is to a turtle. You withdraw inside it, and feel very secure from the harsh world of uncertainty and perplexing views which appear to bump up against your very circumscribed view of the world from time to time. This kind of thinking is the reason I abandoned philosophy for more fruitful fields of study. But never mind, I am sure we will find some areas of concourse in the future. I have no wish to persuade you of anything, but there might be some who find my perspective useful
kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 08:04 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

Oh well, having recovered my composure from the body blow of your harsh criticism, my argument is with the condition of being modern, with modernity itself. Modern philosophy, so called, is a symptom of that lamentable condition, not a way of ameliorating it. The many crises of modernity aren't just showing up in the philosophy department, but also in environmental and economic stresses which may yet turn into catastrophes. Although you will probably consider that out-of-scope.

While we are at it, and as you never have any compunction in handing out condemnatory judgements, my judgement of you is that philosophy is to you as a carapace is to a turtle. You withdraw inside it, and feel very secure from the harsh world of uncertainty and perplexing views which appear to bump up against your very circumscribed view of the world from time to time. This kind of thinking is the reason I abandoned philosophy for more fruitful fields of study. But never mind, I am sure we will find some areas of concourse in the future. I have no wish to persuade you of anything, but there might be some who find my perspective useful

You have a perfect right not to like philosophy, nor philosophers. What you don't have is the right to attack philosophy because it is not something you want it to be when it is not that thing, and you think it should be that thing. You are interested in humanistic studies coupled with religion and a touch of the occult. Fine. Philosophy is not that. It has never been that. If you think it should be that, and you are disappointed that it isn't that, whose fault is that? Philosophy's? Be reasonable.
jeeprs

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 08:08 pm
@kennethamy,
I am not attacking philosophy, I am giving a personal perspective as to why I had to seek further afield. And there are many 'historical periods' of philosphy that I do find quite amenable, from what I know. So I don't want to get into a flame war. I have said enough already.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 08:13 pm
Examples include: Neoplatonism; the Renaissance humanists; The Cambridge Platonists; some of the German idealists and religiously-inclined philosophers, especially Schlieirmacher and Schopenhauer; the New England transcendentalists.
0 Replies

ABYA

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 08:39 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

You are interested in humanistic studies coupled with religion and a touch of the occult. Fine. Philosophy is not that. It has never been that. If you think it should be that, and you are disappointed that it isn't that, whose fault is that? Philosophy's? Be reasonable.

You may not be correct here Ken.

Johannes Reuchlin (1455-1522)
He was a German humanist, political councelor to the chancellor, a classics scholar and an expert in ancient languages and traditions (Latin, Greek and Hebrew) was affiliated with the heads of Platonic Arcademia (Della, Mirandola and others.

Wrote.
My teacher Pythagoras, who is the father of philosophy, did nevertheless not receive those teachings from the Greeks, but rather he received them from the Jews. Therefore he must be called Kabbalist and he himself was the first to convert the name Kabbala, unknown to the Greeks, in the Greek name philosophy.

Pythagoras' philosophy eminated from the infinate sea of Kabbalah.

This is the Kabbalah that does not let us spend our lives on the ground, but rather raises our intellect to the highest goal of understanding.
Reuchlin, De Arte Cabbalistica
jeeprs

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 09:49 pm
@ABYA,
Aha! I have found a kindred spirit. Thankyou Abya.

Also, reading Kennethamy's statement again, 'philosophy has never been that', I completely disagree. And also I have never mentioned the word 'occult' and am not interested in anything of an occult nature.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 09:59 pm
@ABYA,
ABYA wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

You are interested in humanistic studies coupled with religion and a touch of the occult. Fine. Philosophy is not that. It has never been that. If you think it should be that, and you are disappointed that it isn't that, whose fault is that? Philosophy's? Be reasonable.

You may not be correct here Ken.

Johannes Reuchlin (1455-1522)
He was a German humanist, political councelor to the chancellor, a classics scholar and an expert in ancient languages and traditions (Latin, Greek and Hebrew) was affiliated with the heads of Platonic Arcademia (Della, Mirandola and others.

Wrote.
My teacher Pythagoras, who is the father of philosophy, did nevertheless not receive those teachings from the Greeks, but rather he received them from the Jews. Therefore he must be called Kabbalist and he himself was the first to convert the name Kabbala, unknown to the Greeks, in the Greek name philosophy.

Pythagoras' philosophy eminated from the infinate sea of Kabbalah.

This is the Kabbalah that does not let us spend our lives on the ground, but rather raises our intellect to the highest goal of understanding.
Reuchlin, De Arte Cabbalistica

Sorry. I have read this post twice, and I haven't any idea what ou are saying, nor what point you are trying to make. It certainly has nothing whatever to do with my post.What is a mystery (and somewhat annoying) is that you apparently think you are saying anything that has anything to do with my post, and that you think you are making a point. Perhaps Jeeprs comment is the saddest of all. I cannot even imagine what it is he thinks you are saying any more that I can even imagine what you are saying. Which is why I say that Jeeprs's comment is so sad.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 10:10 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

Aha! I have found a kindred spirit. Thankyou Abya.

Also, reading Kennethamy's statement again, 'philosophy has never been that', I completely disagree. And also I have never mentioned the word 'occult' and am not interested in anything of an occult nature.

You may, of course, disagree all you like, but supporting your disagreement is a different matter. The mainstream of Western philosophy has never been different form the stream of Plato, Descartes, and Dennett and Davidson. There have always been occult meanderings which have tried to attach themselves to the main steam, but they are peripheral excrescences, and it would be a wholesale distortion of the his history of Western philosophy to make such figures anything but peripheral (if that) . The very idea that it is the peripheral that is mainstream is outrageous, and the kindest characterization of it would be that it is wishful thinking with absolutely no merit.
jeeprs

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 10:19 pm
@kennethamy,
Plato, Pythagoras and Plotinus were all mystics and religious visionaries. The fact that modern materialism has eviscerated the spiritual meaning from the Western tradition doesn't mean it isn't there. This is why you get involved in these interminable conversations that never, ever finish, about truth, knoweldge, certainty, and the capital of Ecuador. It is just talking about talking. Nothing that I say will ever change that idea, because it is what you think the subject is. Which is why I agree that philosophy, in the original sense of the term, has been destroyed, and replaced with word games. Philosophy is meant to transform your reality, not turn you into a broken record. So put that in your pipe and smoke it. Very Happy
kennethamy

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 10:50 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs wrote:

Plato, Pythagoras and Plotinus were all mystics and religious visionaries. The fact that modern materialism has eviscerated the spiritual meaning from the Western tradition doesn't mean it isn't there. This is why you get involved in these interminable conversations that never, ever finish, about truth, knoweldge, certainty, and the capital of Ecuador. It is just talking about talking. Nothing that I say will ever change that idea, because it is what you think the subject is. Which is why I agree that philosophy, in the original sense of the term, has been destroyed, and replaced with word games. Philosophy is meant to transform your reality, not turn you into a broken record. So put that in your pipe and smoke it. Very Happy

But I just pointed out a few posts before, that it was exactly Plato who, in the Theatesus proposed the theory that knowledge was justified true belief. The very same theory that we are now discussing. Plato's mystic streak was there, but it was not the main feature of his philosophy. And it is sheer distortion to make it so. And Pythagoras and Plotinus are hardly names that would come immediately to mind when citing the central figures of Western philosophy. They stand out as peripheral figures. To try to make out that what they did is mainstream, and what Descartes, or Locke, or Hume did is not, is simply special pleading, and has no basis in fact nor in commonsense. Which survey of Western Philosophy spends anywhere near the time on Plotinus or Pythagoras, it spends on Descartes, or Locke, or Hume or Russell? Don't the facts matter at all?
fresco

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 11:03 pm
@jeeprs,
Seconded !.... at the least to the extent that it makes you reconsider "reality". Kennethamy's frequent brandishing of his...
Quote:
I haven't any idea what you are saying

...is taken by him to some sort of mental cleansing tool, when in fact it is a display of ignorance.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 11:13 pm
@kennethamy,
To put it rhetorically 'the facts are of no consequence when the fate of your immortal soul is at stake'. You might say that Plato's 'mystic streak' was not the main feature of his philosophy, but he was first and foremost a religious philosopher, whose main concern was with 'anamnesis' - recovering your real identity. This was at the absolute centre of his teaching, and I happen to think it is true.

What has happened through the process of secularization is that we have become so thoroughly identified with the natural world that we have completely forgotten our true nature and are beset by problems which in the end will be seen as having no real existence.

Now I just made that paragraph up, but I bet you will find it in the Platonic dialogs. It is the common message of all ancient philosophy, is not alien to much in pre-modern philosophy either. But it has been lost to philosophy since Neitszche (not that he caused the loss, it is just that this is when the headlong plunge into materialism really began.)

The form of religion with which we are familiar in the modern world is also degenerate, so when I say Plato was a religious philosopher, he was nothing like what we understand religious people to be like in modern society. He was nothing like an evangelical or a 'person of faith'. He was much nearer what we would regard as a gnostic (not that we would know one if we fell over one.)

I could pull out all of the quotes in support of this from Plato, but no doubt they would be dismissed.

Descartes was a Rosicrucian, and just prior to undertaking his main works, his life was changed for ever by a series of prophetic dreams. Scholars are divided as to whether he was really 'a good Catholic', and personally, I don't think he was, but I have no doubt he was religious in the sense that I intend the word. But his understanding of metaphysics was pretty bad, in my view, which is why he came up with his dualist scheme, which really doesn't stack up too well. Anyway, must go back to work now, all this chat is distracting me from what I actually get paid to do....back later.
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 12:26 am
@jeeprs,
Dualism as rabidly practiced veiled the self by discrediting the intuitive at the same time as it illuminated world. Through it I can now speak to you over the internet, but at what cost?
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 12:30 am
@GoshisDead,
Dualism provoked depersonalization of our communities
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 12:33 am
So where in the world is the nouminous hiding?

Quote:
Schleiermacher and Hegel [both] thought that Kant had missed something important—namely, that the self which experiences the world is also a part of the world it is experiencing. Rather than there being this sharp divide between the experiencing subject and things-in-themselves, with phenomena emerging at the point of interface, the experiencing subject is a thing-in-itself. It is one of the noumena—or, put another way, the self that experiences the world is part of the ultimate reality that lies behind experience.

So: the self that has experiences is a noumenal reality. Both Schleiermacher and Hegel believed that this fact could be made use of, so that somehow the self could serve as a wedge to pry open a doorway through the wall of mystery, into an understanding of reality as it is in itself.

But this understanding couldn’t be achieved by simply turning our attention on ourselves. As soon as we do that we’ve made ourselves into an object of experience, and this object is just as likely to be the product of our own cognitive reconstructions as any other object. In other words, what we are presented with when we investigate ourselves introspectively is the phenomenal self, not the noumenal self. The self as it appears to itself may be radically unlike the self as it is in itself.
My emphasis. Source

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 12:36 am
@jeeprs,
Hence the mystics of so many traditions from Kabbalah to Sufi to Zen .... only by losing the self do we find it.
jeeprs

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 12:38 am
@GoshisDead,
Quote:
Through it I can now speak to you over the internet, but at what cost?

Good question. The fact that you and I can be having this conversation is truly remarkable. And actually I want to qualify my earlier criticism of modernity. 'These are the best of times, these are the worst of times'. I would never sacrifice the freedoms that secular modernism has created. But I also recognise it as an opportunity to realize the inner freedom that philosophy has always pointed towards, rather than as an excuse to pursue pleasure, comfort, luxury, and so on. It is simply a means to an end, but now we mistake means for ends, or have forgotten the true ends.
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 12:50 am
@jeeprs,
It is very difficult to 'credibly study' the metaphysical, as it is a study of the self and can only be superimposed on the other in a slipshod manner. The intuition of reality I have is just that an intuition, the simple expression of which or even the simple reflective recognition of which changed the gestalt experience into an object as you have already stated. I feel this is why sages throughout history secular and religious have taught method and not theory thereby allowing the self to discover the self without objectifying it. This is the ultimate downfall of the Hegelian model if we can call it that. Is it possible to express a gestalt experience?
jeeprs

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 02:07 am
@GoshisDead,
Very nicely put. My general theory is that in the West, most of the 'wisdom teachings' either got suppressed, or absorbed in the corpus of catholicism, and 'locked into the crypt', as it were. You were only allowed to access it if you 'signed the contract'. (In fact, I am of the view that the most consistent and rigorous exponents of traditional metaphysics tend to be the Catholic philosophers and neo-Thomists but it is a big subject to study.) But then there was the Enlightenment and the rejection of traditional metaphysics.

But the other wildcard is the West's discovery of Eastern philosophy. The point about Indian culture is that is doesn't have this tremendous rupture between its classical and modern era and the whole gap between 'secular' and 'spiritual' and 'religion' and 'science' and all the other dichotomies that we are in the horns of.
0 Replies