Sarah Palin is the Paris Hilton of politics

engineer

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 07:32 am
I think the title of this thread really underestimates Paris Hilton. She has really played a weak hand into international celebrity. When I come across her press statements, they are often imdued with sarcasm and tongue in cheek self mocking. Her response to McCain when he tried to inject her into the presidential campaign was excellent. I think that if Palin was the Hilton of politics, we'd be in real trouble.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 09:33 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
Palin was a lazy college student and doesn't like to work that hard

This has been true of Palin throughout her life. She appears to like excitement and being the focus of attention, but does not like the nitty gritty of day to day work routines. It may not be laziness, but more of a lack of self discipline and a developed work ethic. She really has a hard time following through on things once her initial interest fades.

She did change colleges five times before she finally managed to graduate. As mayor of tiny Wasilla, she hired a city administrator to actually do the "hard stuff" of management. She chaired the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission from 2003 until she resigned in 2004--just one year. And she quit as governor of Alaska after just half a term.

Where does anyone get the idea that Palin is interested in pursuing anything resembling a "job", including running for high office? She is wisely capitalizing on her instant celebrity and parlaying it into millions, while milking the spotlight for as long as possible. And daughter Bristol appears to be doing the same.

Can anyone state Palin's positions on major issues, beyond her one-liner's? Does she have any policy positions that she can coherently articulate? What is there for people to support?

She looks good, delivers her ghost written speeches with energy, sass, and a folksy manner, and revs up crowds with sarcastic jabs at the current administration. After all this time in the spotlight, has she bothered to acquaint herself with any facts, by actually spending some time doing reading and research and homework? No, that would bore her and take too much effort. That's not Palin's style. Far easier to toss out lies and distortions, because they appeal to her base and get her lots of media attention, making her probably one of the biggest, and most unabashed, liars on the current political scene.

Palin has never expressed interest in wanting to be President. She just won't issue a flat denial because her current money making ability would take a nosedive if she did that. And she has another book due out in November (wonder who wrote this one for her), and sure as hell doesn't want to hurt those sales.

Within a very short span of time she has managed to become a very wealthy woman. Will she continue to ride the gravy train of her celebrity for as long as possible? You betcha. And that won't include a detour to try to run for office--that would involve too much of a pay cut, and the renewed scrutiny might damage her luster.

Paris Hilton has similarly managed to cash in on her name and celebrity with stints in movies and modeling, as well as a slew of successful business ventures and endorsements. She is testament to the fact that a lack of brains, and an antipathy to hard work, is not an obstacle to gaining media attention and big bucks. I suspect Paris is Palin's role model.

dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 09:39 am
@firefly,
Quote:
I'd been my guess that 90+% of all college students are lazy, Palin did graduate which is a greater accomplishment than the majority of college students.
snood

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 09:45 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Quote:
I'd been my guess that 90+% of all college students are lazy, Palin did graduate which is a greater accomplishment than the majority of college students.

I think the joke's on the US public, because she is exceptionally stupid.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 10:16 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Paris Hilton has similarly managed to cash in on her name and celebrity with stints in movies and modeling, as well as a slew of successful business ventures and endorsements. She is testament to the fact that a lack of brains, and an antipathy to hard work, is not an obstacle to gaining media attention and big bucks.

I disagree that Hilton suffers a lack of brains and I don't know about the antipathy to hard work. Seems like Hilton has enough money to do no work at all if she were so inclined. Like in the Lady Gaga thread, the fluff image sometimes disguishes the more substantial underlying reality. I think Palin is the opposite, where the attempt at a serious image disguishes the fluffy reality.
firefly

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 11:05 am
@engineer,
Quote:
Seems like Hilton has enough money to do no work at all if she were so inclined

Paris first came to public attention as a socialite heiress known for somewhat outrageous antics. The Hilton name, and her potential net worth were factors in gaining her media coverage and celebrity. Initially it was believed that Paris would eventually inherit about $100 million from her grandfather. But, granddad pulled the plug on that, deciding to leave his billions to charity.

Quote:
In December 2007, Hilton's grandfather Barron Hilton pledged 97 percent of his estate to a charitable organization founded by his father, the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation. An immediate pledge of $1.2 billion was made, with a further $1.1 billion due after his death. He cited his father's actions as the motivation for his pledge. According to reports, the potential inheritance of his grandchildren is sharply diminished.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Hilton

It's currently estimated that Paris stands to inherit about $2--5 million after taxes. That's hardly enough for her to maintain the sort of lifestyle she enjoys. She does need to make money, and she is able to earn at least several million a year by trading off her name, endorsements, and promotional appearances, and she has been quite successful at supporting herself this way, likely with the substantial help of good business advisers and managers. But I don't know that anyone has really unearthed the "substantial reality" of Paris, or discovered any formidable hidden talents or depths. She's still best known for being a party girl with a knack for grabbing tabloid headlines.

Actually, I think that Paris Hilton might be a much more interesting person than Sarah Palin.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:17 pm
PAris is the Zsa Zsa of her generation . . . but is sarah either. I did recently say sarah was the Zsa Zsa of politics.

I might suggest that Paris works harder than sarah.
0 Replies