scores of

fansy

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 11:38 pm
Quote:
Lettuce, tomatoes and grapes went unpicked in fields in California and Arizona, which contribute more than half the nation’s produce, as scores of growers let workers take the day off. Truckers who move 70 percent of the goods in ports in Los Angeles and Long Beach, Calif., did not work.

What does "scores of" mean? 40, or 60 or more?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 649 • Replies: 3
No top replies

KaseiJin

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 11:57 pm
@fansy,
fansy wrote:

Quote:
Lettuce, tomatoes and grapes went unpicked in fields in California and Arizona, which contribute more than half the nation’s produce, as scores of growers let workers take the day off. Truckers who move 70 percent of the goods in ports in Los Angeles and Long Beach, Calif., did not work.

What does "scores of" mean? 40, or 60 or more?

As you have demonstrated knowledge of, it does mean, in general, a lot. As to around how many that would be, in colloquial usage, I would tend to think that it would depend on the context of the particular field being talked about--in this case, 'growers' (famers/producers). In a field context, I'll argue, where number intensity is high, the word would surely be higher quantity-wise, than when talking about a field where the intrinsic number in the whole set is orginally low. I hope this helps some.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 12:05 am
@fansy,
A score is equal to 20. Scores is just used to indicate many, but should be something over two score.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 04:31 pm
@fansy,
Though these idioms often come from words, like 'score' or 'dozen' which have specific meanings they are indeterminate amounts that hold meanings that can't really be determined from their origins.

As KaiseiJin noted, the context has to be taken into account. For this situation, I would take 'scores' to mean 'a lot.'

If someone were to ask me to put a number on 'a lot', I couldn't really because I don't know the situation well enough. But either of the indeterminates, 'scores' or 'a lot' would satisfy me in my reading of that article.
0 Replies