whats the reason of her popularity?

failures art

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:02 am
@aidan,
There isn't anything wrong with you if you don't care for her music.

A
R
T
aidan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:06 am
@failures art,
Thank you. But does my daughter have to choose to be either her or Taylor Swift?

Laughing Laughing - kidding - that's a joke. My daughter's already chosen to be herself - thank GOD!
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:15 am
@aidan,
Quote:
I sincerely hope it doesn't. I wish her nothing but good health and success in her life. And I give her credit for having already kicked a drug problem (I've read that she says that she has).
I think that is mostly hype to make her seem both edgy and rehabilitated, which is in now. She says she did a lot of coke...there was a time when just about everyone in Hollywood did a lot of coke, but they have the good sense not to make a big deal about it, because it was not. If you are young and healthy the chance of coke killing you, or even doing any serious damage, is about zero. If she had been doing meth or heroin I would buy her claim of a really bad drug problem, undefined sized bags of coke...not so much.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:31 am
@aidan,
So what type of role model did your daughter gravitate to?

A
R
T
aidan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 01:49 am
@failures art,
That's a good question. My daughter is and always has been a very strong person - not personality- but person , as in she's not loud and aggressive or particularly forceful seeming in any way, in fact if you met her, you'd think she was shy and retiring. But she's not.
She's always, from the time she was a baby, been very centered. She has always been able to spend hours by herself (she's very artistic and creative and likes to draw), loves music, but at the same time, although she has this ability to satisfy her own needs within herself, she's equally socially adept- she has a lot of friends.

She just has this quiet strength about her, and has always had it. Her friends can have a party and she might go or she might not - it depends on how she feels. Working with teenagers, I find her a rare breed. If my son's friends are having a party - he WILL be there. She's someone who will say, 'Not tonight- not in the mood - I'd rather draw- maybe next week'.
It's really kind of amazing (or rare).

She herself, and I'm not just saying this because she's my daughter, has a beautiful singing voice. So in terms of singers, she likes anyone who can sing.
She doesn't like either Lady Gaga or Taylor Swift (she just said when I asked her, 'Eww neither - they both annoy me!).
Her favorite singers are Al Green, Bill Withers and Nat King Cole. Her favorite song of all time is 'Nature Boy' as sung by Nat King Cole.
She just went to Glastonbury and she liked Jackson Brown as much as she liked Muse.
But she's listenened to it all since she was born.

I just asked her who her female role models were (she was on her way out the door on the way to school). She said, 'Lot's of people - you - teachers- grandma- but you know what - and I told her this - she's always been a source of quiet peace in my life-little did I know when I named her Olivia which means bringer of peace how she'd end up living up to that name, because she has - honestly since she was a baby - she's been my role model in that way too. I admire her a lot.
stevecook172001

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 02:08 pm
@KellyWhore,
KellyWhore wrote:

Lady Gaga has become the first living person to have more than 10 million fans on Facebook.
whats the reason of her popularity?

1- Singing Style
2- Dress
3- Voice

Apart from shaking her ass and tits and getting the young lads all worked up, I have no idea.

But, then, I am now officially a grumpy middle aged git, so what do I know?
plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 03:01 pm
@aidan,
I was doing volunteer work one night at Club Passim (old famous room where Dylan, Baez, Rush and jug bands played along with many others) with another woman who was surprised by who I liked and didn't.

She asked who my favorite female singer was. Jeez louise! I just don't think in those terms.
djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:11 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
She asked who my favorite female singer was.

right now i'd say it's that Justine Beiber chick, she's really good

wait, what Shocked
Victor Eremita

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:15 pm
I might get attacked for this, but I think it's because Lady Gaga, once you take away the makeup, is just an ordinary looking girl, not supermodelish pretty. But because of that, and coupled with her provocative music, dress styles, and outlandish attitude, shows that anyone regardless of looks can be successful.
djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:24 pm
@stevecook172001,
i'm guessing your avatar is really you, but every time i see your avatar picture it reminds me of Joe Strummer
stevecook172001

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:32 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i'm guessing your avatar is really you, but every time i see your avatar picture it reminds me of Joe Strummer

Laughing
Yep, that's me mate.... Very Happy
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:56 pm
@djjd62,
She takes good care of her hair!
aidan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:58 pm
@plainoldme,
It's bleached - she's a natural brunette.
djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:03 pm
@aidan,
check out the post of mine that Plain was responding to

http://able2know.org/topic/158067-4#post-4273393

Razz
aidan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:08 pm
@djjd62,
Laughing Laughing Laughing
poor Justin...
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 06:28 am
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita wrote:

I might get attacked for this, but I think it's because Lady Gaga, once you take away the makeup, is just an ordinary looking girl, not supermodelish pretty.

That's my general take as well. Rather than fight the "Dance: Ten; Looks: Three" stereotype, she went another direction.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 12:35 pm
@engineer,
In my opinion she was better than average looking pre-Gaga...and she certainly had a spark about her when performing...

http://www.focusonstyle.com/Blog/http-www.focusonstyle.com-Blog-Lady-Gaga-undone-was-Stephanie-Germanotta-and-very-brunette
Intrepid

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 12:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
Looks more like a dude than some dudes
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 12:40 pm
@Intrepid,
I am thinking that it is how she even back then carried herself with loads of self confidence that throws you off....you must prefer your women to be shy and retiring. I put no such restrictions on women.
Intrepid

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 12:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
No, I like them to be feminine but confident and self assured.