whats the reason of her popularity?

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 12:53 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
No, I like them to be feminine but confident and self assured.

Oh, you mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM51qOpwcIM

I dont like how masculine the Gaga videos tend to be, but it is very clear that is the Gaga act, not the girl doing the act.
Intrepid

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 12:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
No, not like that!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 09:00 am
Sensationalism has become so much more important than true talent,
one reason the Lady Gagas, Heidi Montags, Paris Hiltons and many, many others have become famous.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 10:38 am
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
one reason the Lady Gagas, Heidi Montags, Paris Hiltons and many, many others have become famous.
Actually, I give Paris a lot of credit for being able to parley her love affair with the camera into big bank, but that not withstanding almost everyone agrees that GaGa has a lot of talent.
aidan

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 10:48 am
@hawkeye10,
I have to say that I've come around somewhat - she CAN play the piano and when she's not backed by that electronic/repetitive beat - her voice sounds less robotic.

But I DO NOT like her voice on Pokerface. As a matter of fact when that thread that asked, 'What song is stuck in your head?' was up I'd have answered 'Pokerface' and I was singing it to myself in this flat, robotic, monotone - exactly as Gaga does in her vide0- and I was praying for it to go away.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 11:01 am
@aidan,
Quote:
But I DO NOT like her voice on Pokerface. As a matter of fact when that thread that asked, 'What song is stuck in your head?' was up I'd have answered 'Pokerface' and I was singing it to myself in this flat, robotic, monotone - exactly as Gaga does in her vide0- and I was praying for it to go away.
She picks the tunes and designs the "look" of the videos, this is no Britney where the record company hires people to do all that and she simply shows up at the right time and does what she is told...

GaGa got you, and a lot of other people...she is good.
firefly

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 11:04 am
@aidan,
I don't regularly listen to any pop music, it's just not my cup of tea. I'd seen pictures of Lady Gaga in her various over-the-top outfits, but I'd never heard or seen her perform until this morning when she was on the Today show (where she attracted a record crowd for their Friday outdoor live performances).

I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. The Lady can sing, fairly well, and the music was more than tolerable. She does appear to have genuine talent, and a great sense of showmanship. I can understand her popularity.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 11:06 am
@hawkeye10,
Yeah - like I said - she CAN play the piano- I gotta give her credit for that (I always give credit where credit is due). Yeah - at least she can actually play an instrument - a lot of 'musicians' these days can't even do that much.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 12:05 pm
@aidan,
Liberace was quite the pianist too.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 12:13 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
Liberace was hugely loved as a showman and had great earnings from it....in other words a huge success.

Your Elitist snobbishness is showing..
aidan

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 12:23 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
Liberace was quite the pianist too

Yeah - I give him credit too. As someone who took piano lessons for nine years and can play but would never feel comfortable performing - I give credit to people who can do that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 12:26 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
Mae West was a sex kitten, an object of desire for men (not that there is anything wrong with that). If you want to think this makes her a feminist, I guess I can't stop you.

Mae West was a dang good businesswoman, with good control of her image. That alone makes her a good role model for young women interested in how their careers develop.
panzade

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 12:28 pm
@hawkeye10,

I can see Lady Gaga having a Vegas show in ...oh

say....30 years or so.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 12:30 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Mae West was a dang good businesswoman, with good control of her image. That alone makes her a good role model for young women interested in how their careers develop.
after the demise of the record companies this is hugely important. What is left of those companies have no interest in developing talent or in the long range potential of the artist, it is all about trying to make a fast buck to try to keep their stockholders happy. If the artist does not look out for their best interests then no one will.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 12:31 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
30 years or so

10, after she pops out a kid or two and wants to settle down for a spell.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 12:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Liberace was hugely loved as a showman and had great earnings from it....in other words a huge success.

Your Elitist snobbishness is showing..

Why thank you. I am surprised that you noticed from way down there.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 12:39 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
Why thank you. I am surprised that you noticed from way down there
there are more like me than are like you....in a political system where majorities matter you might want to take note.
aidan

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 01:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
oh jesus - look who's giving credence to the power of popularity now
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 02:24 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
oh jesus - look who's giving credence to the power of popularity now
I have always talked about majority building, how everyone should have the right and ability to state their views and try to persuade a majority to join them. I have also said that most of the opinions that I CHOOSE to voice here at a2k are minority views, but that what you see here is only a small part of who I am and what I believe.
Intrepid

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 02:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Why thank you. I am surprised that you noticed from way down there
there are more like me than are like you....in a political system where majorities matter you might want to take note.

Nobody said this forum was a democracy, bubba