whats the reason of her popularity?

failures art

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 03:16 pm
@aidan,
aidan - I think that Lady Gaga in a veil has far less to hide than those without who are trying to disguise themselves by clandestine means. This is perhaps where we disagree: I don't see Gaga hiding anything.

A
R
T
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 03:21 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
aidan - I think that Lady Gaga in a veil has far less to hide than those without who are trying to disguise themselves by clandestine means. This is perhaps where we disagree: I don't see Gaga hiding anything.

You must have noticed that she does really fast cuts on her video's, often just bearly enough time for the eye and the mind to see the frame and then it cuts to some other picture. She is doing the peekaboo at a frenzy. I also recall her saying in a interview that everyone wants to see her **** but that she does not need to show it and will not. The veils are part of this. She very much controls what she allows to be seen and how. Partly to build interest, and partly to keep reminding us that she is not a whore (media or sexual)...she is in control.
ebrown p

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 03:33 pm
I have always been skeptical of "feminism" as a concept. Part of the problem is that the word "feminism" is a Rorschach test... it can mean pretty much whatever someone wants it to mean. Feminism has been "sex is rape" (something I don't support). Feminism has been women in positions of power (something I do support). Mae West was a sex kitten, an object of desire for men (not that there is anything wrong with that). If you want to think this makes her a feminist, I guess I can't stop you.

If Lady Gaga qualifies as a feminist, I would be interested to know which famous females aren't feminists?

aidan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 03:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I also recall her saying in a interview that everyone wants to see her ****

I'll pass - without any regrets at all. She can keep that to herself as far as I'm concerned.
I guess I don't know enough about her to get the allure - but on the basis of Pokerface - I can pass on her music too.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 03:48 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I like lady gaga too Joe.

chai(what's wrong with expressing yourself?)tea

Not a thing, but ..
Joe(it's very unsetting to the Puritans)Nation
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thank you Edgar for posting that. Now I kinda get it. In spite of the ridiculous getups, she's a musician who sings, writes and plays a mean piano. I still wouldn't pay to see her but the girl is talented, no doubt.

Never could really say that about Madonna, I'm afraid. But Gaga has certainly torn a page or two out of her PR game book, that's for sure.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:12 pm
@aidan,
I don't think it's sad at all -- I like to see that kind of envelope-pushing. I think it's that attitude that's sexy, that kind of confidence and yeah-what-the-hell-this-is-what-I-want-to-wear, not the clothes per se. It's good to see that kind of originality.
aidan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:27 pm
@sozobe,
Like I said - to each his or her own. I don't happen to enjoy her voice, her lyrics or her style. But I've never really gotten into that repetitive, electronic stuff. I like a little more soul.
But I'm glad you do. I'm sure she is too.
There's plenty of music to go around - we can all like or dislike what we want to like or dislike - can't we?

And I don't find her all that original. She sounds like a million other people I hear. And in terms of her costuming - it's all been done before.

What is this - the official Lady Gaga fan club or something?
She's fine but I like this woman better - now THIS is a voice (no sex appeal though - in my opinion): I just hope she doesn't kill herself with her bad habits (that would be a REALLY sad waste of pure talent):

Intrepid

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:38 pm
@aidan,
Is Lady GaGa a Boy George wannabe? Did I say that?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:39 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
I just hope she doesn't kill herself with her bad habits (that would be a REALLY sad waste of pure talent):
So far as I can see Winehouse is not currently working, her talent is already being wasted. This will not happen to Stefani Germanotta, she is driven by a vision and is a workaholic.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:09 pm
She's the Madonna of her generation.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:12 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

A
R
T

She's just having fun with it, that's all.

A lot of fun.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 06:23 pm
I like the space shot motif of some of her costumes. Why not?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 08:38 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
I also recall her saying in a interview that everyone wants to see her ****

I seem to recall seeing Madonna's **** (as an 18 year old).

I also distinctly remember feeling at the time it was $6 completely wasted.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 10:09 pm
the hula hoop was a craze once. And yo yo's.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 10:15 pm
although she is worth squillions of dollars, is twenty something, and is an international sensation....
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 10:26 pm
@jeeprs,
Quote:
although she is worth squillions of dollars, is twenty something, and is an international sensation....
the recording industry has collapsed, and she does not tour...Where does all this money come from?

She has sold just north of 15 million albums so far, but historically that is good not great. Britney has sold about 90 million, and she makes most of her money now from touring , perfume and merchandising...not trying to sell music that most young people refuse to pay for.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 11:34 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I don't think it's sad at all -- I like to see that kind of envelope-pushing. I think it's that attitude that's sexy, that kind of confidence and yeah-what-the-hell-this-is-what-I-want-to-wear, not the clothes per se. It's good to see that kind of originality.

And the disdain of the older generations is, of course, critical to the success of any teen idol.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:01 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

I have always been skeptical of "feminism" as a concept.

I assure you , it is real.

ebrown p wrote:

Part of the problem is that the word "feminism" is a Rorschach test... it can mean pretty much whatever someone wants it to mean. Feminism has been "sex is rape" (something I don't support). Feminism has been women in positions of power (something I do support). Mae West was a sex kitten, an object of desire for men (not that there is anything wrong with that).

This is like being skeptical about "economics" being real because there is no consensus as to what is best.

ebrown p wrote:

If you want to think this makes her a feminist, I guess I can't stop you.

You're correct.

ebrown p wrote:

If Lady Gaga qualifies as a feminist, I would be interested to know which famous females aren't feminists?

Again, what disqualifies her from this status you're so skeptical of?

Who do you want your daughter to look up to? Perhaps, the wholesome Taylor Swift? With her traditional sensibilities and lyrics that show no interest beyond boys, your daughter could grow up defining herself by the men in her life. That and refined understanding that other women are her adversaries.

A
R
T
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 12:51 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
So far as I can see Winehouse is not currently working, her talent is already being wasted.

I know, sad isn't it? That's why I said what I said about me being afraid that her bad habits will end up being the death of her and the squandering of a real talent. It's happened too many times before- I'm afraid I can see it coming with her. And that'd be a loss for music. She's an amazing interpreter - and in my opinion - one of a kind as far as her generation goes.

Quote:
This will not happen to Stefani Germanotta, she is driven by a vision and is a workaholic.

I sincerely hope it doesn't. I wish her nothing but good health and success in her life. And I give her credit for having already kicked a drug problem (I've read that she says that she has).

But I don't have to like her particular type of music or voice or style for that to happen apparently - she's got legions of other fans.

But why does it have to mean that there's something wrong with me if I don't care for her music?
I've never particularly cottoned onto Jimmy Buffet either. Like his melodies sometimes, and I can't really say why - but I don't like his delivery. But then I do like Alan Jackson and Snoop Dogg...and I'm really starting to like Gorillaz...you know it's all personal taste. It has nothing to do with being old or not liking freedom of expression or having fun. It has to do with each person's individual ear.
And I do always give something a listen before I make up my mind.
I couldn't get through two videos by her - her musical sensibilities don't appeal to me and her movements seem robotic, mechanical and contrived.
But it's fine for other people to like her.

I wouldn't buy or download a lady gaga cd but I also wouldn't buy a taylor swift cd. It's like someone's saying, 'Oh, if you don't like this electronic, overtly sexual stuff that means you must like this teen-age puppy love angst-ridden wholesome virgin teen queen sort of stuff'.
'And if you don't like seeing sex on display - you must not like sex and you must be a puritan.'
Are those the only two options for young girls to choose from?
And now you get labeled just on your likes and dislikes? This is the new freedom of expression that Lady Gaga is ushering in ?

And as far as her pushing envelopes - oh please- she's slotting herself quite nicely into all the envelopes that have been pushed open by all the other women in music who've come before her.
Good for her - she's done the best with opportunity she's had. I would never take that away from her.
But would I enjoy spending time with her - probably not- I like looking at peoples' eyes and faces when I talk to them or when they're communicating with me, through music especially.
I thought the same thing about Jakob Dylan when I saw his interview the other day...I do love his voice - not the writer his father was/is (as far as I know Bob's still writing) but oh lord, does he have the better voice of the two. But he stood there in this lit studio talking to this guy wearing sunglasses. I wondered why about him too.