Is It Retarded.........

djjd62

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 06:06 am
that Lady GaGa apologizes for using the word retarded, but has no problem with insulting religious folks by releasing her song Judas during Passover/Easter

Lady Gaga Apologizes for 'Retarded' Remark

By Luchina Fisher and Ryan Creed
April 21, 2011
Late Wednesday Lady Gaga apologized for calling the comparisons between her hit song "Born This Way" and Madonna's "Express Yourself" "retarded."

In an interview with NMA, Gaga lashed out at those who accused her of ripping off the pop icon.

"That's retarded," she told NME. "If you put the songs next to each other, side by side, the only similarities are the chord progression. It's the same one that's been in disco music for the last 50 years. Just because I'm the first f***ing artist in 25 years to think of putting it on Top 40 radio, it doesn't mean I'm a plagiarist, it means I'm f***ing smart. Sorry."

Gaga did a quick about-face and released a statement on Wednesday to PerezHilton.com.

"I consider it part of my life's work and music to push the boundaries of love and acceptance. My apologies for not speaking thoughtfully. To anyone that was hurt, please know that it was furiously unintentional. An honest mistake, requires honesty to make," she said.

"Whether life's disabilities, left you outcast bullied or teased, rejoice and love yourself today."

now personally, i don't have a problem with words, you use them at your own risk, not at the risk of hurting others feelings, but it seems hypocritical to apologize to one group you offend and not another
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,741 • Replies: 10
No top replies

mismi

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 06:58 am
@djjd62,
Hi there Didge Very Happy

Do you really think she was sorry for saying retarded?

I don't - it was a PR move. She is not being honest - she is being savvy. I hate using that word for things that don't make sense. It is thoughtless - but who isn't thoughtless at some point in their life?

So many folks use the term "retarded". It seems to have made a come back and I notice it especially in the music business. The Black Eyed Peas - Let's Get Retarded - came out a while back. They eventually changed it to be politically correct because of the backlash I guess? It is now Let's Get It Started. They are not using the word as a slur - they don't even use that word in relation to the mentally retarded. It has become a term that means "wrong". Which is why it is so offensive to those who have been diagnosed as mentally retarded. But Lady GaGa was not meaning to be offensive to those with the diagnosis. That is true enough.

Apologizing for the retarded remark serves a purpose - apologizing for releasing her song during the Passover season does not. Religious folk are passe'. She doesn't give a rats petoot is what it boils down to. I am not offended - that is absolutely her perogative.

I found a study conducted to determine whether the term "mentally retarded" needs to be changed. Probably stems from how the term is used now. I have to agree. Changing it is probably best. But that's a whole other debate.
http://www.ssa.gov/disability/MentalRetardationReport.pdf
djjd62

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 07:50 am
@mismi,
everything she does is a publicity stunt, wether offending or pandering
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 08:13 am
@djjd62,
The true nature of Judas is as old as Christianity.....what if Judas had been a good guy and didnt dob in Jesus ? God needed evil....
djjd62

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 08:19 am
@Ionus,
i get that, he's the hero in the story in reality, without him it's a non starter
Ionus

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 08:32 am
@djjd62,
I think she is saying she likes the bad guy...something common to female sexuality in a lot of cases .
Mame

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 10:27 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

that Lady GaGa apologizes for using the word retarded, but has no problem with insulting religious folks by releasing her song Judas during Passover/Easter

now personally, i don't have a problem with words, you use them at your own risk, not at the risk of hurting others feelings, but it seems hypocritical to apologize to one group you offend and not another

I don't see why she can't say whatever the hell she wants, period, or release whatever song she wants during any holiday. What's the big deal? Are we supposed to try to please everyone? So someone gets offended - so what? Are people really not going to buy her songs because she used 'retarded'?

What's wrong with 'retarded'? They don't even use that term here - it's mentally challenged or disabled. Personally, I like the word 'cripple'. They keep changing the 'acceptable' terminology - physically handicapped, physically disabled - what the hell is it? It's the same as native people - what do we call them now? First Nations? Aborigines? I can't keep up!

The question is Why does anyone get offended in the first place? It's the intent more than the word that's hurtful.
djjd62

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2011 10:38 am
@Mame,
i agree

the radio guys from new york i listen to are always making fun of the "insert relevant letter here" word of the day, the newest is the "R" word for retard, i mean your still saying it, when the news is saying "N" word, it's not a mystery what their saying, how does it really make it better
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 07:46 am
@djjd62,
Love me some Ga Ga, finally got to see her last weekend in Tampa, she's fabulous honey Wink
djjd62

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 07:53 am
@jcboy,
i think she's quite talented in every aspect (musically, self promotion) of her career, but she's not my style
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 07:58 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

I think she is saying she likes the bad guy...something common to female sexuality in a lot of cases .

thank goodness
0 Replies