worker’s occupational knowledge

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 02:12 am
please look at this English...

The amount of time it takes for most of a worker’s occupational knowledge and skills to become obsolete has been declining because of the introduction of advanced manufacturing technology (AMT). Given the rate at which AMT is currently being introduced in manufacturing, the average worker’s old skills become obsolete and new skills are required within as little as five years.

I don't understand the red part.

is it saying , old employees should learn new skill very fast and learning time is at most 5 years ?

or

with 5 years company should adopt new skill ?

Its confusing to understand.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,273 • Replies: 4
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 08:31 am
It means that all the knowledge (training, education) that a worker has becomes obsolete (no longer useable) because of the increase in automation used for that job. So every 5 years, workers need to update their skills and education and learn how to use recent technology.

BUT . . .your quoted paragraph is not well written. The first sentence does not make sense. I think is should be:

The amount of time it takes for a worker’s occupational knowledge and skills to become obsolete has been ACCELERATED (speeded up) because of the introduction . . .

0 Replies

tintin-and-calculus

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 09:41 am
Still confused.

let me break it down ...

>>The amount of time it takes for most of a worker’s occupational knowledge and skills to become obsolete has been declining.

so, For example, if earlier it takes 5 years to obsolate, now it takes say 3 years ....its declining.

>>>because of the introduction of advanced manufacturing technology (AMT)

Why ? how the automation can reduce the skill obsolate time ? if automation is used we learn new skills . we forget the old skills.
So, "a worker’s occupational knowledge and skills to become obsolete has been declining".....is not meaningful because we reject the old skills .

declining is a bad word ,I think .

Am I missing something here ?
engineer

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 12:06 pm
@tintin-and-calculus,
Maybe you are over analyzing it. It is saying that technology is rapidly advancing, so instead of running the same equipment for many years, companies are continuously investing in new equipment or controls. That is the AMT part. Since this equipment is changing so quickly, workers must learn how to use the new equipment. It is not that the old skills are forgotten, just that they are no longer pertinent because that equipment has been removed. The time is dropping because businesses are updating their equipment more often as the rate of technological advancement increases.
JPB

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 12:10 pm
@engineer,
and a worker who doesn't keep up his knowledge by learning the new skills finds himself out of a job sooner than before.
0 Replies