Mame's Digression Thread

dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 04:45 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

dlowan wrote:

roger wrote:

Finally starting to settle down, huh?

I may have to leave...they're killing me with doubling the strata fees and these $5,500 special levies.

1. What the hell are doubling strata fees and $5,500 levies?

I mentioned earlier that I've been in my apt. for 35 years. The rent isn't high by Noo Yawk standards. You could move here, and we could be roomies. The apartment is clean and I have new slipcovers. I've never had a roomie. I'd probably kill you after a week or so, but we'd probably have fun the first few days. Then you'd be dead, and I'd be in jail. Neither of us would don't have to worry about rent or strata feels or levies.

Whadya think?

1. I don't rent, I own (well, I own two thirds and the bank owns the rest.) I think you guys call this a condominium? We call it a strata title building. We have to pay fees every quarter for building insurance, building maintenance, cleaning of public areas etc. Normally, bigger buildings hire a strata management company to manage the building...so we also pay towards their salaries. I was paying about $600 a quarter. A year ago, the building committee (elected from owners of units) and strata company flagged that we had some big jobs coming up, and a general meeting agreed to impose a levy to save towards these things ( a new roof and major lift work). This doubled my fees to over $1,200 a quarter.

Then, when the new roof suddenly stopped being something we could do in about a year, and became a job that had to be done asap, another meeting was held which decided NOT to use any of the money we had already saved towards the roof work (about half of the eventual cost) but to impose a special levy upon all owners for the full amount. In my case (all these things vary with the value of your apartment and mine is one of the more valuable ones) this amounted to a demand for $5,500 with no time to pay.

The doubling of the fees was already causing me quite big problems financially. Thing is, my instincts tell me that once anything goes up, it never goes down again. The doubling was meant to be a temporary thing until we had enough money saved, but I am already hearing stuff about a whole bunch of other things the committee want to do. I agree with keeping the building well maintained, it's my investment and where I live, but I suspect that our committee is now composed of wealthy people, who will not understand that many people do not have the money to pay for things fast. ( For instance, re the $5,500 one of the options presented at the meeting was that people be given six months to pay...that was voted down...and I can almost never get to these meetings because they begin too early for me to be able to get away from work in time...that option would have saved me a lot of grief.) This is, I discover, a common fate for such buildings.

It's getting hard for me to meet my mortgage plus the $200 per fortnight in strata fees plus these sudden demands for money. I would never have bought the ticket to go overseas if I had known I would suddenly have to find this five and a half grand.

2. Sure. I just need permanent residency in the US, and a job. If you die first, do I get the apartment?

dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 04:46 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Great. Your check went one way and your certificate was sent out by an unrelated department. Your request and approval went to a third department, which complied. Now, somebody's going to get fired for making a simple mistake.

Nah...one department, one teeny little mistake. No firing.

Why can't USians spell cheque?
dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 04:47 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

dlowan wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

You could just keep it and not cash it. That way, your conscience will be clear and you will also have succeeded in causing an out of balance situation for the government. Smile

It's the Attorney General's Office!!!

I was terrified when I saw the envelope!!

They'd likely send in the SWAT Police and all to wrest it from my cold, dead paws.

It's not like I'm a native species and thus protected. I am vermin and may be shot on sight! Or poisoned, or trapped, or have germs used against me.

You have no idea what it's like to live like this. No wonder I smoke. And drink gin and scotch. And really good vodka.

If the Australian Post Office is anything like the Canadian Post Office, you can claim that you never received the cheque. The AG's office would fully understand and maybe even issue you another cheque. Wink

Funny you should say that...I finally went to the Ombudsman's office re Australia Post just a couple of weeks ago!!!

I think your cunning plan would fail as soon as I tendered the cheque to my credit union.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 04:48 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
cheque

Is it like a financial "segue"?
dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 04:57 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Quote:
cheque

Is it like a financial "segue"?

When my pay was delayed last week, a cheque damn near segued me into a conniption fit and a big fine!
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 09:17 pm
Has anyone else had trouble with a bus schedule?

Joe (still waitin)Nation
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 09:17 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
segued

I take it that's pronounced like "segged"
dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 10:24 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Quote:
segued

I take it that's pronounced like "segged"

Nonsense. You know perfectly well it's pronounced segway.

You're a clown sometimes, you know.

(May your red nose stick and cause you to be laughed at by rude school children)
panzade

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 07:14 am
@dlowan,
Quote:

Yes, now list a few of my negative traits.

dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 07:38 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Quote:

Yes, now list a few of my negative traits.

Well, actually I find you extremely cute...witty, dry, big nose (we ALL know what that means), romantic (see flower).....
msolga

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 07:48 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
big nose (we ALL know what that means)

No we don't.

Confused
panzade

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:03 am
@msolga,
Quote:
No we don't.

I do have a big nose, don't know what it means wabbit
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:03 am
Oh ****!

I dropped my fried egg sandwich on my keyboard!
Sunny-side down!
dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:12 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
big nose (we ALL know what that means)

No we don't.

Confused

Ginormous schlong.

Huge apparatus.

Whacking big willy.

awe-inspiring wedding tackle.

Or just big feet...one or the other.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:13 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Oh ****!

I dropped my fried egg sandwich on my keyboard!
Sunny-side down!

If it was a sandwich it had bread on both sides.
panzade

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 11:22 am
@dlowan,
Quote:

What's a good word for a sandwich with just one piece of bread?

A smegwich?
sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 11:23 am
@panzade,
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

open face, i think.
panzade

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 11:26 am
@sozobe,
thanks soz
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 02:35 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Quote:

What's a good word for a sandwich with just one piece of bread?

A smegwich?

They're called an open faced sandwich.

Could you clean out the egg yolk before it set underneath the keys?
panzade

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 02:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Could you clean out the egg yolk before it set underneath the keys?

ttoooooooooooollllaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/24/2024 at 07:51:01