Mame's Digression Thread

roger

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 02:54 am
@dlowan,
Finally starting to settle down, huh?
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 04:35 am
@dlowan,
Between leaving the village I was born and my present home I moved 7 Times.

Now I live 19 Years in my appartment which I remodelled 14 Months ago.

I love my place. It's close to what I dreamed of, apart from a Chateau on the Loire. It is designed in 1929 just before the Recession hit. Building started in 1938 just before the Nazi's invaded. The previous tenant was from Batavia (now Djakarta I think, capital of Indonesia.

Because of the War she lost contact with her Family and with Reality and lived by herself untill 1991 when I moved in 1/2 Year after she went to a nursing-home. She is my inspiration for Sophia Casteleijn and Magister Pepijn H. VandenBerg-Sweep, the Lodger in Hermes House

<adress in Amsterdam, map/lay-out> Dam 1 coop.Rabobank Mr. Green

40.000 Eur0'$

1 bed & braekfast 40
2 bed & braekfast 75
Very Happy Very Happy

How much is an advertisement at Able 2 Know ?

solipsister

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 04:40 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
I'd like to go Dutch.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 04:47 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
I have A Dilemma.

A Moral Dilemma.

The government has sent me $47 because I cancelled a request that they send me a copy of my birth certificate by registered mail (because I thought it would be too complicated to get it, since I would not be home to receive it, and they would not send it to work, and I had to receive it personally.)

I had already paid them when I cancelled, and they said they would send me the money by cheque.

Lo and behold, they DIDN'T cancel the request and they actually left the registered letter somewhere that I could pick it up. It went seamlessly.

However, they BELIEVE they cancelled the request, and have sent me the refund!

I now have $47 worth of money that does not belong to me.

I'm in receipt of hot money!!!

I feel like I robbed a really tiny store accidentally.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 04:54 am
@dlowan,
Come to Hermes House; we are merchants of Hot Money. $47 will get you a welcome at the nearby railwaystation, only one stop from Schiphol (family used to have a farm about where Her Majestic Plane is parked. My mother once took a wrong turn..is this digression by the way... and ended up on the run-ways.)

Railwaystation Cornelius Lelylaan 2 Cents Drunk

Oh, and of course: Bed & Break-Fast as-U-wishhh
dadpad

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 05:55 am
@dlowan,
I once got a letter (remember letters?) and the stamp (remember postal stamps?) thereon had not been franked. I cut the stamp off very carefully and re-used it to send another letter.
Cost saved 40 cents.

A win is a win is win.
Keep it handy if they catch up.

dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 06:12 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

I once got a letter (remember letters?) and the stamp (remember postal stamps?) thereon had not been franked. I cut the stamp off very carefully and re-used it to send another letter.
Cost saved 40 cents.

A win is a win is win.
Keep it handy if they catch up.

I can't stand it...I'm gonna have to send it back.

Which will cost me 55 cents and an envelope.
Roberta

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 06:42 am
@dlowan,
You're doing the right thing, bunny. I'm proud of you.

You could subtract the postage.
dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 06:44 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

How? Cut off a piece of the cheque?

I'd have to deposit to do that.

Come to think of it, maybe I could just ring them Ithough it takes ages) and tell them to cancel it.

Time vs 55 cents and an envelope....
Intrepid

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 06:48 am
@dlowan,
You could just keep it and not cash it. That way, your conscience will be clear and you will also have succeeded in causing an out of balance situation for the government. Smile
dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 06:51 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

You could just keep it and not cash it. That way, your conscience will be clear and you will also have succeeded in causing an out of balance situation for the government. Smile

It's the Attorney General's Office!!!

I was terrified when I saw the envelope!!

They'd likely send in the SWAT Police and all to wrest it from my cold, dead paws.

It's not like I'm a native species and thus protected. I am vermin and may be shot on sight! Or poisoned, or trapped, or have germs used against me.

You have no idea what it's like to live like this. No wonder I smoke. And drink gin and scotch. And really good vodka.
dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 06:57 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

I may have to leave...they're killing me with doubling the strata fees and these $5,500 special levies.
Roberta

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 08:06 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Roberta wrote:

I thought you were going to send them a check rather than return the one you got. If you do the latter, then you're out the postage.

Life is complicated.
dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 08:10 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

dlowan wrote:

Roberta wrote:

I thought you were going to send them a check rather than return the one you got. If you do the latter, then you're out the postage.

Life is complicated.

It's a bitch, and then you die.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 08:21 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

roger wrote:

I may have to leave...they're killing me with doubling the strata fees and these $5,500 special levies.

What the hell are doubling strata fees and $5,500 levies?

I mentioned earlier that I've been in my apt. for 35 years. The rent isn't high by Noo Yawk standards. You could move here, and we could be roomies. The apartment is clean and I have new slipcovers. I've never had a roomie. I'd probably kill you after a week or so, but we'd probably have fun the first few days. Then you'd be dead, and I'd be in jail. Neither of us would don't have to worry about rent or strata feels or levies.

Whadya think?

Izzie

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 08:23 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

dlowan wrote:

roger wrote:

What the hell are doubling strata fees and $5,500 levies?

I mentioned earlier that I've been in my apt. for 35 years. The rent isn't high by Noo Yawk standards. You could move here, and we could be roomies. The apartment is clean and I have new slipcovers. I've never had a roomie. I'd probably kill you after a week or so, but we'd probably have fun the first few days. Then you'd be dead, and I'd be in jail. Neither of us would don't have to worry about rent or strata feels or levies.

Whadya think?

sounds like a great idea... a wabbit and a cheetah... Wink

oh my!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 08:37 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

[Though to be fair, I'm impressed with your residential cred of 10 years in one spot! Cool ]

Glad you're impressed. I've been in my building since 1974 and in this apartment since 1977.

Rent stabilization[!] Aint it grand? Mr. Green

Lucky Cheetah!! Razz You're just rubbing it in now!! You feline braggart! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 08:41 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

I'd not be impressed.

Between when I left my father's house, and when I first bought my own, I/we moved 19 times.

Sorry... minor visual digression. Razz
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 02:49 pm
@dlowan,
Great. Your check went one way and your certificate was sent out by an unrelated department. Your request and approval went to a third department, which complied. Now, somebody's going to get fired for making a simple mistake.
Intrepid

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2010 04:12 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

It's the Attorney General's Office!!!

I was terrified when I saw the envelope!!

They'd likely send in the SWAT Police and all to wrest it from my cold, dead paws.

It's not like I'm a native species and thus protected. I am vermin and may be shot on sight! Or poisoned, or trapped, or have germs used against me.

You have no idea what it's like to live like this. No wonder I smoke. And drink gin and scotch. And really good vodka.

If the Australian Post Office is anything like the Canadian Post Office, you can claim that you never received the cheque. The AG's office would fully understand and maybe even issue you another cheque. Wink

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 08:58:22