absent more than half the time ?

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 05:24 pm
absent more than half the time = was absent in more than 50% of the surgical sites in low-income regions?

Context:
The results showed that all high-income regions had at least 14 surgical sites per 100,000 people. In contrast, those in low-income regions had less than 2 surgical sites per 100,000 despite having a higher burden of surgical disease. In addition, pulse oximetry was unavailable in nearly 20 percent of the surgical sites worldwide and absent more than half the time in low-income regions. The researchers estimated that around 32 million surgeries are performed each year without pulse oximetry, a basic standard of care that is available in more than 99 percent of operations done in high-income regions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,244 • Replies: 4
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 05:29 pm
@oristarA,
correct
0 Replies

fobvius

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 08:50 pm
@oristarA,
The reporter has almost certainly inadvertently introduced another variable viz. 'time' when the intent was to convey 'unavailability' in more than 50% of hospitals (cf. they had the equipment but it was broken or on loan to others more often than not).
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 08:09 am
Yes, as has been pointed out by fobvius above, the author (or team, since this is obviously a medical journal type paper) had been slightly careless with the style. I would have read it as:

. . . and absent in more than half of the in low-income regions

However, I will also have to leave some margin for error since I cannot precisely explain what makes for 'pulse oximetry ,' and there may be a chance that it involves a time element too; as in being at a certain local hospital at a certain time of need.

As always, I would consistently hold that we would all be better off to be as careful with our language usage as possible...alas, the world doesn't spin quite that way.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 08:45 am
Ori - if you diagram this pharase out, it would show:

oximetry was unavailable . . . and . . . absent (not available)
0 Replies