Change

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 09:16 pm
In a relationship, the presence of two people and their daily/etc interactions, attempts to compromise a little or a lot...etc etc...end up changing a person to some extent. This flexibility or lack thereof, can make or break a relationship.

How much has your relationship changed you and to what extent are you willing to change to make things work ? How concious are you about these changes in you ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 980 • Replies: 8
No top replies

eoe

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 12:10 am
I used to be Ms. Nightlife until I settled down with my husband, a true homebody.
I got married relatively late and willingly accepted the changes that married life brings because I'd already experienced all of the partying, all of the men, all of the joys of the single life for a long, long time and missed out on nothing after settling down.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 01:17 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 02:29 pm
What about the other side of the coin? I wonder if I'll be able to change if ever I get myself into a settle-down style relationship.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 03:08 pm
Depends on how much you want to settle down and be with the other person. We're quite adaptable if in return we get much love and happiness.
0 Replies

crashlanded vr2

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 08:24 am
Eoe: looks like you have the change part worked out just right. But did you ever resent having to change, I mean going from Ms. Nightlife to what might work better with your husband.

littlek: I suppose, thinking of change is easier when one is in a relationship.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 09:49 am
Yeah, there have been moments of resentment but he's worth it. That's why you'd better be real sure. Besides, I figure he must have a few moments of resentment of his own, aspects of his bachelor life that he gave up to be with me. It's a two-way street. At least, it ought to be.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 11:20 am
I just saw this one, interesting question.

I've changed enormously since I first met my husband, but I met him when I was 21, so changes would have happened, period. It's really hard to separate what changes would have happened if I had been single from changes that are a result of being with him.

One thing, I don't think that change can ever be a goal. I don't think that you can start a relationship saying, "well, he's gonna have to make some big changes, but I think it could work after that." It's a two-way street, I agree, but I think part of the idea is to find someone who allows you to be yourself to the greatest degree possible, whomever yourself may be.
0 Replies

firemanbud

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2004 02:47 pm
I have changed more in the last year, than in my whole life. There was a time years ago that if I wanted to do something I would do it. I was very selfish in a lot of ways. I have learned to ask myself who I am benifiting through my actions. If the actions do not have a greater benifit to my family than myself, I look a little harder. I am finally growing up after many years.
0 Replies