Stasis on the way.

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 04:27 am
So this guy was thinking 1 day. The cause of his thinking? His daughter's death. What was he thinking? How to stop death so as to give doctors time to fix bodily damage.

Well he's not quite at the human level yet but he has figured out what's needed to make it work and has made it work at smaller scales. The trick? Death isn't caused by oxygen deprivation, oxygen is in fact a poison that, at too low of levels for the body to use, kills. Thus if 1 was to replace oxygen with something else, say hydrogen sulfide, the body would simply go into stasis until the necessary oxygen levels were restored.

I must say, I'm impressed! :thumbup:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 940 • Replies: 6
No top replies

xexon

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 01:57 pm
@David cv,
Good luck with that. I think I'd rather be encased in carbonite.

Hydrogen sulfide is VERY poisonous.

I used to work in the oil industry and it was a constant threat out in the field. We had to wear monitors as it would affect you before you ever knew anything was wrong. It displaces oxygen.

x
David cv

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 02:19 pm
@xexon,
xexon;68685 wrote:
Good luck with that. I think I'd rather be encased in carbonite.

Hydrogen sulfide is VERY poisonous.

I used to work in the oil industry and it was a constant threat out in the field. We had to wear monitors as it would affect you before you ever knew anything was wrong. It displaces oxygen.

x

That's the point. I take it you didn't understand the science?
xexon

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 10:40 pm
@David cv,
That wasn't my point actually.

Living things aren't like working on an automobile. Just because you can repair all the physical damage doesn't mean the person will ever wake back up and be normal again.

While this science presents some interesting possibilities, like long term space travel, we're still more at the Frankenstein level of technology than not.

Going to be a while.

x
David cv

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 03:03 am
@xexon,
xexon;68690 wrote:
That wasn't my point actually.

Living things aren't like working on an automobile. Just because you can repair all the physical damage doesn't mean the person will ever wake back up and be normal again.

While this science presents some interesting possibilities, like long term space travel, we're still more at the Frankenstein level of technology than not.

Going to be a while.

x

They put out a rat for 6 hours. Pumped some oxygen back into the gas chamber and the rat went right back to being a rat, there are no side affects, Now it's simply a matter of figuring out how to make it work on humans. If they used the gassing method, our size would require so much hydrogen sulfide that's we'd die.

So yes, it'll take time but it's not as if you'll die from this once they get it working.
Petey J

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 11:59 pm
@David cv,
If you stasified a live human, is there any guarantee of reviving them with no physical or psychological damage?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 02:51 pm
@Petey J,
Petey J.;68834 wrote:
If you stasified a live human, is there any guarantee of reviving them with no physical or psychological damage?

Yea for about 40 minutes.

Lets just say the technology has a long way to go. :p
0 Replies