Saddam speaks through Thomas Friedman

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 12:34 pm
I hope everyone can access this site.

Thomas Friedman's op ed essay is exceptional.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/27/opinion/27FRIE.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 914 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 12:34 pm
My opinion is that this is proper in the Politics category, but if the powers that be determines it should be in General or International -- I'll change it.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 12:50 pm
That's cute that he's spiritually channeling Saddam, a veiled opinion, nothing more.

This is a tired opinion and theory, so why do you find it exceptional? I'm surprised you think his thinking is such a revelation, is it because you didn't think to write about it from Saddam's perspective that you're so enamored?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 01:28 pm
Brand X
Brand X, Frank and many others on A2K are thinkers about such things. I think Frank is smart and right. Tom Friedman may be too conservative for many A2Kers, but you have to admit he knows a lot about mid-east history, culture and how it's people think. I respect his opinions---and most of Frank's---well, many of them, at least.

BBB
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 01:32 pm
Brand X wrote:
That's cute that he's spiritually channeling Saddam, a veiled opinion, nothing more.

This is a tired opinion and theory, so why do you find it exceptional? I'm surprised you think his thinking is such a revelation, is it because you didn't think to write about it from Saddam's perspective that you're so enamored?

1) Of course it is opinion -- and only someone who does not understand subtlety would consider it "veiled." It was not veiled at all - in fact, it was "in your face."

2) This "theory and opinion" are not all that "tired" except to people who want the essence of what Friedman wrote not to be true.

3) I think it's an exceptional essay because of the way he wrote the piece. It was very clever. And because I think it will make some people's asses get into an uproar.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 01:38 pm
Frank

It's a good article and I particularly like his jab at the Turkish Parliament although I don't necessarily agree that had we come down from the north that we would have been able to kill Saddams "boys" by the hundreds.
I think they would have still "melted" into the populace.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 01:45 pm
Quote:
2) This "theory and opinion" are not all that "tired" except to people who want the essence of what Friedman wrote not to be true.

It's tired on A2K, furthermore, whether one wants to believe he's right or not, doesn't make it in fact correct or incorrect.

Quote:
3) I think it's an exceptional essay because of the way he wrote the piece. It was very clever. And because I think it will make some people's asses get into an uproar.

Shock jocks do this every day on TV and radio, real clever, he has an opinion for sale, very subtle indeed
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 02:04 pm
I think his perspective is right on the mark. Arabs are humiliated by there own short sightedness and this blindness has caused so many sorrows and will continue to do so regardless/or in spite of western retaliation.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 02:40 pm
Brand X wrote:
Quote:

It's tired on A2K, furthermore, whether one wants to believe he's right or not, doesn't make it in fact correct or incorrect.

It is not tired on A2K -- or anywhere else, except to people who want the essence of what Friedman wrote not to be true.

At no point have I inferred that what anyone "believes" about whether he is right or not -- has any effect on whether or not he is in fact correct or incorrect. I'm not sure of why you mentioned that -- unless you were using it as a diversion.

Quote:
Quote:

Shock jocks do this every day on TV and radio, real clever, he has an opinion for sale, very subtle indeed

I appreciate cleverness whenever and wherever I see it. Not really sure of your point here.

I note you did not comment on my other reason for enjoying the essay -- namely, that it will get some people's asses into an uproar.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 03:52 pm
Quote:
I think it's an exceptional essay because of the way he wrote the piece.

I'm not sure of your point either, except you thought the article was cleverly written as if you had critiqued and approved the article for A2K consumption. Shouldn't you have submitted it in a writing forum if you wanted to critique writing and have others respond?

And who's asses are suppose to get in an uproar over the article?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 04:32 pm
Brand X wrote:
Quote:
I think it's an exceptional essay because of the way he wrote the piece.

I'm not sure of your point either, except you thought the article was cleverly written as if you had critiqued and approved the article for A2K consumption. Shouldn't you have submitted it in a writing forum if you wanted to critique writing and have others respond?

Way too much typing for me to do -- and for some reason, the article could not be cut and pasted.

Quote:
And who's asses are suppose to get in an uproar over the article?

People like you who allow their asses to get into an uproar!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 04:40 pm
Okay.
0 Replies