Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 02:01 am
It is common that a word has multiple meanings, and how to use them properly is an important question for English learners. Here I take an example to try to discuss the best usage.

Although the word "erect" sometimes might mean "To construct by assembling", such as:

We will erect a skyscraper.

Alrighty, someone remarks:"So the skyscraper looks much like a vibrator? Just take a look at 101 building in Taiwan."

Darnit. The word is really sensitive. Do you think we should jilt this kind of sentence like " We will erect a skyscraper"? And use other word instead -- for dodging any possible sarcasm?

PS. Taiwan 101 Building

http://image2.sina.com.cn/dy/o/2003-11-25/1069747885_Y4aaWJ.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,151 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Monger

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 04:58 am
"We pray for MacArthur's erection."
- sign erected by Japanese citizens in Tokyo, when MacArthur was considering a run for President
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 05:19 am
Oristar, I don't think that the word "erect" is all that sensitive, especially when the edifice being erected doesn't look like a giant vibrator.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 06:10 am
Oristar- I think that people have been using the word "erect" to describe building construction, long before the word acquired a "different" meaning.

This is what my GuruNet says about "erect".

Quote:
e·rect (i-rekt')
adj.
Being in a vertical, upright position: an erect lily stalk; an erect posture.
Being in a stiff, rigid physiological condition.
Archaic. Wide-awake; alert.
tr.v., e·rect·ed, e·rect·ing, e·rects.
To construct by assembling: erect a skyscraper.
To raise to a rigid or upright condition.
To fix in an upright position.
To set up; establish: erect a dynasty.
Mathematics. To construct (a perpendicular, for example) from or on a given base.
[Middle English, from Latin erectus, past participle of erigere, to set up : e-, ex-, ex- + regere, to guide.]

If a person stands in an erect position, it does NOT mean that he is attempting to imitate a vibrator, or anything, er, else! Laughing
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 10:00 am
Monger, that is one of the best humors I've ever heard of! Very Happy
Roberta and Phoenix, thanks for comments. Environments might sometimes decide our existence, as well as the mode of our thinking, I think. Cool
0 Replies