crude oil = cocaine

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 07:48 pm
I am trying to find some difference between oil profiteers and Escobar's Cali Cartel and so far all I can come up with is that oil is legal.

the base products are cheap.

control of the base products grants more power than the elected government of the country it comes from.

any loss in percieved profit/territory results in war with no care for collateral damage.

murder as a means to remain in control of the base product.

after refinement product is readily availiable to every consumer who has no idea of the true cost/purity of the product, i.e. gas stations = crack dealers.

this is just a thumbnail sketch of the big picture as I see it, our government trying desperatlely to project it's power into the area where the biggest profits are to be made.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,458 • Replies: 37
No top replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2008 09:06 pm
@hatukazi,
I find the story of Pablo Escobar very fascinating.

If you think about it, pablo lived the American dream. He started from nothing only to become an entrepeneur and later become rich and own his own army.
Reagaknight

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 09:49 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Hitler and Ghandi both espoused radical new ideas.

Hitler and Ghandi both had huge support from their people.

Hitler and Ghandi both helped fight against poverty in their countries.

Hitler and Ghandi both refused to follow rules set down by foreigners.

Hitler and Ghandi both fought against the British.

Hitler and Ghandi are both dead.

THEREFORE

Hitler=Ghandi
hatukazi

Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2008 10:53 am
@Reagaknight,
sure, but the point is oil profiteers share the same careless, contemptuous, ignorant. imperialistic attitudes with drug dealers...

...and Hitler.

guess that takes Ghandi out of the picture huh?
Reagaknight

Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2008 08:01 pm
@hatukazi,
Ah, so now oil companies are Hitler. And probably Stalin too, right? No, I forgot, he was one of the good guys.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 06:58 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;50981 wrote:
Hitler and Ghandi both espoused radical new ideas.

Hitler and Ghandi both had huge support from their people.

Hitler and Ghandi both helped fight against poverty in their countries.

Hitler and Ghandi both refused to follow rules set down by foreigners.

Hitler and Ghandi both fought against the British.

Hitler and Ghandi are both dead.

THEREFORE

Hitler=Ghandi

You forgot one -

Hitler - 6 letters
Ghandi - 6 letters
The nexus is now complete.
Drakej

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 08:48 pm
@hatukazi,
I think the parallel you are trying to draw is a run of the mill business model... As much as a surprise as it is smart drug dealers act just like Bill Gates, Trump, Oil Barron's etc.

I do feel that Oil companies bend the little man over and give it to them and even throw some sand in from time to time to mix things up. But to say they are as "Evil" as Senor Pablo is kind of a stretch. They just happen to run a business the same way with a few differences oh like the whole murdering people.
socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 11:38 am
@Drakej,
Drakej;51542 wrote:
I think the parallel you are trying to draw is a run of the mill business model... As much as a surprise as it is smart drug dealers act just like Bill Gates, Trump, Oil Barron's etc.

I do feel that Oil companies bend the little man over and give it to them and even throw some sand in from time to time to mix things up. But to say they are as "Evil" as Senor Pablo is kind of a stretch. They just happen to run a business the same way with a few differences oh like the whole murdering people.

I gotta kick out of your post. Thanks.
0 Replies

hatukazi

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 01:57 pm
@Drakej,
Drakej;51542 wrote:

the parallel was easy since people keep stating we are addicted to foreign oil. I wasn't sure at first why that irritated me so much, until I thought it out a little further, a lot of Americans use addiction like an excuse, like they've already given up on helping themselves.
0 Replies

Drakej

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 03:07 pm
@hatukazi,
A lot of people do use there addiction as an excuse. But I do not think it is the American people are addicted. Do you know of any other options that me being a middle class citizen can afford? It is not so much an addiction as it is being force fed.
hatukazi

Reply Sat 26 Jan, 2008 03:29 pm
@Drakej,
Drakej;51613 wrote:
A lot of people do use there addiction as an excuse. But I do not think it is the American people are addicted. Do you know of any other options that me being a middle class citizen can afford? It is not so much an addiction as it is being force fed.

at the moment I dont believe there is a way to quit cold turkey unless there are electric trains where you live (since most people commute quite a ways to work I'm guessing you do too), but everyone CAN cut their consumption by a great deal, we've all seen suburbans during rush hour with one person in it.

if we want to stop being force fed, we keep ourselves to a very strict limit of only what we need, is it warm out? ride a bike or walk. commuting by yourself? motorcycles or scooters are very efficient, and fun. (when it's warm, I'm not sure how efficient snowmobiles are but people ride them to work around here in the winter)

do we really need a hemi charger or V8 impala to haul our families? not when there are 4 cyl. accords and fusions for sale right down the street.

my car doesnt work too good for my family, I have a crx, when we get one with a backseat it will be a manual 4cyl. simple and efficient. would like a TDI but not in our budget.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 04:40 pm
@Drakej,
Drakej;51542 wrote:

Coming From an Oilman I say this... Its not the Oil Companies that Are bending the man over, its Saudi Arabia. The Sads are to Oil as Debeers is to diamonds. They have the most, thus can destroy the market if they so wish (and both threaten to do so on a regular basis, when we try and regulate them.)
Reagaknight

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2008 08:15 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;52178 wrote:
Coming From an Oilman I say this... Its not the Oil Companies that Are bending the man over, its Saudi Arabia. The Sads are to Oil as Debeers is to diamonds. They have the most, thus can destroy the market if they so wish (and both threaten to do so on a regular basis, when we try and regulate them.)

Are you actively involved in this?
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 10:42 am
@hatukazi,
In saudi Oil NO, In Domestic OIl yes, I run the Texas Division of an Interntaional company Based out of London called United energy

United Energy Group - keeps you moving
socalgolfguy

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 06:33 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;52252 wrote:
In saudi Oil NO, In Domestic OIl yes, I run the Texas Division of an Interntaional company Based out of London called United energy

United Energy Group - keeps you moving

($50 million by age 40...)
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 07:41 pm
@hatukazi,
You really want to see him make 50 mil by age 40, don't you?
socalgolfguy

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 08:17 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;52310 wrote:
You really want to see him make 50 mil by age 40, don't you?

I know he's capable of financial success. Maybe 50 mil is an overstatement but he will enjoy great prosperity. Of that, I am certain. If he is as irreverant on the job as he is here, he will go far. The characters he has to deal with all have tremendous egos. They need a young jester to keep them in check. If he earns their trust, he will go very far.
Reagaknight

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 08:38 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;52315 wrote:
I know he's capable of financial success. Maybe 50 mil is an overstatement but he will enjoy great prosperity. Of that, I am certain. If he is as irreverant on the job as he is here, he will go far. The characters he has to deal with all have tremendous egos. They need a young jester to keep them in check. If he earns their trust, he will go very far.

On the other hand, they could just fire him.

But I can't say much on the matter seeing as how I am not him.
rugonnacry

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 10:31 am
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;52318 wrote:

Just signed a very Iron clad 4 year contract with UEG, unless i intentionally **** up the finances (or make the same mistake over and over) or I sell secrets to other companies, MY career is solidified for the time being. (4 years is when my final stock options are received, effectively making me a millionaire.)
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 01:19 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;52318 wrote:

LOL - sooner or later they could tire of his highjinks and blow him out. Now that I think of it, that's what generally happens. Substance ultimately wins out. Without it, no matter how cute you are, you're through.
0 Replies