Ex- U.S. General: Iraq a 'Nightmare'

Freeman15

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 09:40 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;41473 wrote:
the only voice on the matter I pay any head to is Gen Patreyas, a man who even had the Democrats support. Right up until his efforts highlighted the fact that the war is still winnable

The libertarians of this board site unverifiable civilan body counts and consepracy theory. My ear is well placed with a man who currently spends his days on the gournd there

come to think of it, while you yourself were on the ground there, you haven't been their youself since the surge. Am I right?

Gen Petraeus "on the ground"? Ha. He's a ******* 4-star, it's not like he carries a rifle and patrols the area making notes of the number of times he is fired upon. He gets reports from lesser generals all over the country, who get reports from colonels and majors in their commands, who get reports from captains and lieutenants in their commands. The chain of control of information is so long, nobody really knows what doesn't get reported.

I want us out of Iraq because it is bad foreign policy and is bankrupting our country. I could give a **** about Iraqi deaths, **** em, our country comes first, and this war is HURTING us.
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 12:19 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;41473 wrote:
the only voice on the matter I pay any head to is Gen Patreyas, a man who even had the Democrats support. Right up until his efforts highlighted the fact that the war is still winnable

The libertarians of this board site unverifiable civilan body counts and consepracy theory. My ear is well placed with a man who currently spends his days on the gournd there

come to think of it, while you yourself were on the ground there, you haven't been their youself since the surge. Am I right?
mlurp

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 04:08 pm
@92b16vx,
FEDUPAMERICAN, QUOTE: I thought that you put your life on the line to give those "diaper heads" democracy.
You mean to tell me that Americas efforts are in vain? end quote.
I don't think i was saying what those who have given their all or the ones wounded or then ones who have or are now serving have done so in vain. Most news casters say the same thing," the bottom line for these troops is that they are fighting for the trooper in front or behind them."
And I am saying we need to wrap this Iraq thing up very soon and get back to the war on terror that is really in Afghanistan. I would never say our troops are wasting their time.
In the Nam we were fighting for one another and the policy didn't mean a thing by 1967-68 to me or the ones I served with. yes a few believed we were serving for a good reason. I did to in the beginning of my tour. But the fog of war just makes staying alive and keeping your Biro's that way the only sensible thing. Once in enough firefights the cause becomes second or third or nothing at all. I saw the Souths Army as a total waste. They went home at night and we took over their weakly defended positions many times. And it was at night most things happened.
You have to remember we didn't have night fighting gear, just brass ____, and each other. Support wasn't worth the radio call most of the times as the only thing we had at night was the artillery and then they might be involved in other battles.. And it is the same many times, over in Iraq. Not always but just the same when one dies or is wounded when help would have prevented it.
mlurp

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 04:13 pm
@mlurp,
And if I could yes I would wear the uniform again. But to serve those that are in my company first. A soldier doesn't see the big picture only the mission.
And only because todays soldiers have some great boy toys. And I think we need to waste as many of the jihad diaper heads as we can! I don't like war but to serve with soldiers is a honor I relate with. And I think America should require all citizens to serve some time reguardless what others think.
If one has ever been in combat I think for the most part they would agree with me on some of this.
mlurp

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 09:21 pm
@mlurp,
WOW some response, Thanks to all who posted their thoughts. Now this newest report might get more. Read this.

FOXNEWS.COM HOME > POLITICS

Sanchez: Media's Reporting of Iraq War Endangered Soldiers' Lives
Sunday, October 14, 2007

E-Mail Print Respond Digg This! del.icio.us
WASHINGTON — The former top commander of coalition forces in Iraq may have called U.S. efforts there catastrophically flawed and unrealistically optimistic, but much of the criticism of the media by Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez has been left unreported.

In his speech to the Military Reporters and Editors Association in Washington, D.C., on Friday, Sanchez accused reporters of "unscrupulous reporting, solely focused on supporting an agenda and preconceived notions of the U.S. military."

Without naming a specific company, Sanchez said "parent media organizations" have political agendas that direct the news coverage of the war and in some cases put U.S. service members in deadly situations.

"What is clear to me is that you are perpetuating the corrosive partisan politics that is destroying our country and killing our service members who are at war. My assessment is that your profession, to some, has strayed from these ethical standards and allowed external agendas to manipulate what the American public sees on TV, reads in newspapers and what they see on the Web," Sanchez said.

In his speech Friday, Sanchez took aim at nearly everyone in Washington — from Congress to the State Department, the National Security Council to the Pentagon — for the conduct of the war, which he said had become "a nightmare with no end in sight." He also saved no criticism for the current surge policy proposed by current Multinational Forces in Iraq commander Gen. David Petraeus and seen largely as a success.

RelatedStories
Ex- U.S. General: Iraq a 'Nightmare' Video
The Other Sanchez Complaint "The latest 'revised strategy' is a desperate attempt by an administration that has not accepted the political and economic realities of this war and they have definitely not communicated that reality to the American people," he said.

Regardless of his pessimism, Sanchez said that a full-scale withdrawal is not currently an option.

"The American military finds itself in an intractable situation ... America has no choice but to continue our efforts in Iraq," said Sanchez, who works as a consultant training U.S. generals.

The White House offered only a polite response to the remarks, which are not Sanchez's first criticisms to be aired publicly.

"We appreciate his service to the country. As General Petraeus and Ambassador Crocker said, there's more work to be done but progress is being made in Iraq. And that's what we're focused on now," said White House Deputy Press Secretary Tony Fratto.

Many military experts have said they worry that the latest attacks could jeopardize efforts to do right in Iraq. Some note that Sanchez was part of the old strategy, and had a chance to make the operation work while he was in command.

"He has clearly said some things that are correct. But I think the negatives are coming more out and he was one of the key persons responsible for the strategy," said retired Gen. Tom McInerney, a FOX News analyst.

Sanchez told the gathering that he thought he had made mistakes and said he didn't always fully appreciate the secondary affects of actions the military took. He denied reports that he and then-Iraqi administrator L. Paul Bremer were not on speaking terms, saying they spoke daily.

Sanchez also took issue with the press over their indictments of his service. Sanchez retired in 2006 after being replaced in Iraq following the Abu Ghraib prison abuse scandal. He was cleared of wrongdoing but became a symbol in some media accounts of flawed leadership.

He acknowledged that much of his career will now be seen through the lens of the Abu Ghraib scandal, and blamed that in part on what he called biased coverage of the scandal in the Stars and Stripes newspaper.

"Over the course of this war, tactically insignificant events have become strategic defeats for America because of the tremendous power and impact of the media and by extension, you the journalist," Sanchez said.

Responding to the comments by Sanchez, Robb Grindstaff, executive editor of Stars and Stripes said Sunday, "We have an organizational policy not to talk to other media about our stories. We don't comment."

Sanchez, on the other hand, isn't done talking. He has reportedly considering writing a book and promises to name names in his blunt talk about the handling of the Iraq war by government officials and the media.

FOX News' Julie Kirtz and Mike Emanuel and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
FOXNews.com - Sanchez: Media's Reporting of Iraq War Endangered Soldiers' Lives - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 12:57 am
@mlurp,
mlurp;41549 wrote:
And I think we need to waste as many of the jihad diaper heads as we can!

Just a little food for thought, everytime we kill one of those "diaperheads", they get new recruits. Everytime we kill innocent people there, someones mother, father, child, we recruit another "diaperhead".

Quote:
And I think America should require all citizens to serve some time reguardless what others think.
If one has ever been in combat I think for the most part they would agree with me on some of this.

No, that's where we get our power as a military from, volunteers. There's too many people that do not belong in the military. Besides, there's nothing "honorable" in being forced to serve.
wvpeach

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 05:39 am
@92b16vx,
92B a voice of reason you are in a ever crazier world.

good post.
0 Replies