Only in BOULDER, Colo.

mlurp

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 12:42 am
Wow taking the whole thing into their own hands. these might be our future leaders. I hope not! Link at bottom of post. What are your thoughts on this outlandish we rule and we rule our way....

BOULDER, Colo. — About 50 Boulder High School students walked out of class Thursday to protest the daily reading of the Pledge of Allegiance and recited their own version, omitting "one nation, under God."

The students say the phrase violates the constitutional separation of church and state.

They also say the daily reading of the pledge over the school public address system at the start of the second class takes away from education time and is ignored or mocked by some students.

A state law passed in 2004 requires schools to offer the opportunity to recite the pledge each day but does not require students to participate.

The protesting students, members of the Student Worker Club, want administrators to hold the pledge reading in the auditorium during each of the school's two lunch periods for any students who want to participate.

Otherwise, they said, they plan to walk out each Thursday when the pledge is read and recite their version, which omits the reference to God and adds allegiance to constitutional rights, diversity and freedom, among other things.

"Boulder High has a highly diverse population, not all of whom believe in God, or one God," said Emma Martens, a senior and president of the club, which has about a dozen members.

"We didn't think it was fair for the whole school to have to listen to it. It's almost religious oppression," she said.

Principal Bud Jenkins told the Camera newspaper on its Web site Thursday the pledge will not be moved, but added he was proud of the students for standing up for their beliefs.

It was not immediately clear what discipline, if any, the protesting students would face.

FOXNews.com - Colorado Students Walk Out During Pledge, Recite Own Version - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,587 • Replies: 73
No top replies

92b16vx

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 12:49 am
@mlurp,
mlurp;39491 wrote:
Wow taking the whole thing into their own hands. these might be our future leaders. I hope not!

Otherwise, they said, they plan to walk out each Thursday when the pledge is read and recite their version, which omits the reference to God and adds allegiance to constitutional rights, diversity and freedom, among other things.

I hope they are. It's good to see younger people actualy actively expressing the values our country is based on.
mlurp

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 05:51 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;39494 wrote:
I hope they are. It's good to see younger people actualy actively expressing the values our country is based on.

Gosh I must of mis read the story as I come away thinking they were not into the same values their parents and grand parent were into. Silly me....
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 06:14 pm
@mlurp,
umm if you don't want to pledge your allegience to your country then I guess it isn't your country. I mean how can it be yours if you don't accept it

so then, I guess they should leave shouldn't they?

The pledge is optional, the fact it is being mocked is the fault of the teachers and the educators should be disciplined for not maintaining their classroom.
mlurp

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 10:08 pm
@Silverchild79,
Good Point. Also about 6 months ago this same school and principal was in the news.
watching the O'Rielly factor tonight and he had a segment on this subject. I like the point made there. Well now the students might apply the same walk out if not into the subject matter. Like maybe Math, Science, History World Events etc., etc. Yes why not if we don't like it walk away. Hummm how many of you don't like your job or this or that responsibility.
I don't like my mortgage. Hey don't pay it anymore. Yes teaching young minds that think they know best to be very liberal is real cool.

His homepage and the story plus more. Bill's Official Home On The Web

Videos on several topics. Bill O’Reilly | The O’Reilly Factor - FOXNews.com
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 10:27 pm
@mlurp,
you know even if I don't agree with O'Riely on everything I have to admit he's well read on the issues and his debate points are day and night better then Sean Hannity who sometimes makes me grown.
mlurp

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 10:29 pm
@Silverchild79,
hey you know your alive growning or laughing. lol
0 Replies

xj0hnx

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 10:00 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;39641 wrote:
umm if you don't want to pledge your allegience to your country then I guess it isn't your country. I mean how can it be yours if you don't accept it

so then, I guess they should leave shouldn't they?

The pledge is optional, the fact it is being mocked is the fault of the teachers and the educators should be disciplined for not maintaining their classroom.

They aren't "mocking" anything. They are taking out a part they do not believe in, and replacing it with a truely patriotic statement. In case reading comprehnsion is the problem, I'll highlight the meat of their intentions...

"Otherwise, they said, they plan to walk out each Thursday when the pledge is read and recite their version, which omits the reference to God and adds allegiance to constitutional rights, diversity and freedom, among other things.

So, are you against Constitutional rights, diversity, and freedom?

They shouldn't be forced to be subjagated(sic) to a religious indoctrination if they do not believe in it, welcome to America.
mlurp

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 12:29 am
@xj0hnx,
Guess you need to read more of my post and answer that yourself.
Hummmm children who for the most part can't balance a check book or have any idea what is required when they leave home and off to the work world. Lets see them get a job and then change company rules or what else they don't care for!
During the Ike admin. this portion was put in to differ us from the the non believing communist. In God we Trust, isn't this our belief and part of our foundation. So they believe in a paper document more than God.
And yes I believe in the same paper document but because it was formed under the concept that God, was the factor that allowed us the freedom, liberty and foundation to form a new United States.
So what about the sex scandle that these same students were involved in about 6 months ago. That alright with you to? And will you support the next act these student start no matter what. They don't vote and I bet half of them can't pick Iran on a world map. But the fact that these things I mention are signs of failures is ok with you too.
When I was a child I didn't have any more rights than what my parents decided. And that should be the same today. But children have 1-800 child abuse and people like you supporting their ideas so they think they can do as they like. And the results mean nothing. I wouldn't want one of these children ever in a position to write this countrys law or enforce them in any way!!!!!!!!!!!! Supend them and put them in their place. Have their parents explain why they have raised rebles.
Sabz5150

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 11:40 am
@mlurp,
mlurp;39774 wrote:
And yes I believe in the same paper document but because it was formed under the concept that God, was the factor that allowed us the freedom, liberty and foundation to form a new United States.

I beg your pardon? The Constitution says "Creator", not "God". That Creator could be God, Allah, Brahma, Zeus, etc.

Treaty of Tripoli:

"As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion" - November 4, 1796

You were saying?
mlurp

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 11:41 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;39938 wrote:
I beg your pardon? The Constitution says "Creator", not "God". That Creator could be God, Allah, Brahma, Zeus, etc.

Treaty of Tripoli:

"As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion" - November 4, 1796

You were saying?

You pick your creator I pick mine. Any more ideas to waste my time?
Sabz5150

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 11:44 am
@mlurp,
mlurp;39939 wrote:
You pick your creator I pick mine. Any more ideas to waste my time?

With all the laws pushing your creator over mine, naah... you have plenty of ideas.
mlurp

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 12:00 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;39941 wrote:
With all the laws pushing your creator over mine, naah... you have plenty of ideas.

What laws? Say what you mean so I can understand you. I am trying to share not put you down! So knock the chip off your shoulder or I won't bother to share ideas with you.
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 12:25 pm
@mlurp,
Laws such as the whole gay marriage thing... which you CANNOT tell me isn't all about religion. Same goes with attempting to overturn RvW.

In this country, it is not required, nor should it be, to pledge allegiance to any one religious deity. "Under God" was NOT put there by our founding fathers, nor was it ever intended to be that way. Pledge your allegiance to your country, not to a deity.
mlurp

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 12:34 pm
@Sabz5150,
Opinions we all have them. Mine has been stated and clear to be understood.
End of my portion of this discussion, bye.
Freeman15

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 01:36 pm
@mlurp,
Woah, Woah, WOAH.

In America, we have a problem with rebellious teenagers?

Our country was founded through rebellion and angst on the part of intellectuals, aristocrats, and frontiersmen, who committed acts that I'm sure were considered in poor taste, including but not limited to:

Burning a king in effigy.
Refusing to pay taxes.
Throwing tea into a harbor by the crate.
Declaring Independence from a supposedly "ordained" king.
Shooting a lot of people.
Drafting a form of government
Overthrowing that government peacefully because it didn't work
Creating a new government.

THEN, the miscreants that weren't fit for this already rebellious society came to my home of Texas and settled. They decided they didn't like Mexico very much, and so they rebelled, declared independence, lived on their own for a while, and then came back to the US.

THEN, half of the states in our country gave America the proverbial bird and simply left the nation, which led to the bloodiest war in American history (in terms of dead Americans).

THEN millions of Americans walked out of classrooms and workplaces all over the country in support of universal civil rights during the 1950's and 60's.

THEN......the hippies.

This country was BUILT on rebellion and dissent, a fact of which I'm pretty damned proud. Let the kids walk out, it's their right, and an exercise in history. Real Americans embrace dissent.

God Bless this Mess.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 01:53 pm
@mlurp,
Kids walking out on the Pledge is dis-respectful. Period. Until the Pledge is changed to suit the secular progressives it's still the Pledge and should be respected.

I can't understand the people who want to trample over all of the things this country has stood for and change it because they think they have it all figured out. That's when this nation will topple.

When you go to the Olympics do you boo the other countries when their flags are being presented? Or do you stand in respect? Not because you believe that they are better than the US but because you have been taught to respect a flag, national song, etc.

I wonder if these same kids love spending the almighty dollar? Or do they not touch our currency because it has the word "God" on it?

Oh how I would love to have these children live in a country where they can't trample the freedoms they enjoy.
Freeman15

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 01:56 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;39972 wrote:
Kids walking out on the Pledge is dis-respectful. Period. Until the Pledge is changed to suit the secular progressives it's still the Pledge and should be respected.

I can't understand the people who want to trample over all of the things this country has stood for and change it because they think they have it all figured out. That's when this nation will topple.

When you go to the Olympics do you boo the other countries when their flags are being presented? Or do you stand in respect? Not because you believe that they are better than the US but because you have been taught to respect a flag, national song, etc.

I wonder if these same kids love spending the almighty dollar? Or do they not touch our currency because it has the word "God" on it?

Oh how I would love to have these children live in a country where they can't trample the freedoms they enjoy.

While their argument is trivial, the attitude of dissent and rebellion is an American tradition that we should cherish. Better they be dissenting pricks than respectful sheep.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 02:10 pm
@mlurp,
I agree that kids should be allowed disent. Heck, I got in trouble because I "rebelled" in high school - I wore a pair of sandals (this presented a health hazard because someone could step on my toes) and I wore a long "granny" dress (this created undo attention) all of this in southern California in the '60's!!! I also got into trouble because I stuck up for a kid who had been hassled for his Beatle-like hairdo so he shaved his head and got kicked out of school!!!

But, I was never disrespectful to those in authority or my butt would have been kicked at home!
Freeman15

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 02:19 pm
@westernmom,
westernmom;39976 wrote:
I agree that kids should be allowed disent. Heck, I got in trouble because I "rebelled" in high school - I wore a pair of sandals (this presented a health hazard because someone could step on my toes) and I wore a long "granny" dress (this created undo attention) all of this in southern California in the '60's!!! I also got into trouble because I stuck up for a kid who had been hassled for his Beatle-like hairdo so he shaved his head and got kicked out of school!!!

But, I was never disrespectful to those in authority or my butt would have been kicked at home!

Well I was taught to always question authority at the very least, and resist it if said authority was invalid. This from my father the 20 year police officer and my mother the state social worker. Different upbringings I suppose.

Just the same, the pledge of allegiance is a joke, as kids simply recite it like robots. They have no understanding of what it means, or what they're saying. I say let the kids do their thing, they're just being American.