Mlurp's Topic: Burma

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 12:12 pm
Sept. 26 (Bloomberg) -- The United Nations Security Council scheduled an emergency meeting today on Myanmar after the Southeast Asian nation's military junta imposed a curfew in the former capital, Yangon, and police used force on protesters. At least one person was killed.

France, which holds the rotating presidency of the Security Council this month, sought the meeting along with the U.S., Britain, Belgium, Italy and Slovakia, the UN press office announced. The meeting is scheduled for 3 p.m. in New York.

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is sending his envoy for Myanmar, Ibrahim Gambari, back to the country and asked the military rulers there to ``exercise utmost restraint toward the peaceful demonstrations.''

Bloomberg.com: Asia
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,966 • Replies: 26
No top replies

wvpeach

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 12:42 pm
@Freeman15,
Thanks for posting that freeman

I knew mlurp was concerned about something.

But the thread got locked down so fast I didn't get to ask any questions about it. Wonder Why?
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 01:38 pm
@Freeman15,
because I'm tired of everybody posting news articles with no news in them

here was his post

"hey something is going on somewhere in Asia and it reminds me of Nam"

it takes 5 seconds to google and make a worthwhile post people, if his post looked like this one it would have been left alone
mlurp

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 02:09 pm
@Silverchild79,
Gosh I don't recall not giving more detail and I thought I left a link.
Just maybe the board (which I have mentioned before) is at some fault here. And I might need some assistance or guidance in correcting this.

Sometimes while typing different windows pop up (and as I am from the old school were boys to shop and the females took typing) I keep typing (nothing) as I haven't yet raised my eyes to the window from the keyboard and then close it and try typing again. Some days it just happens to much and I log out. Maybe a skin change? :dunno:
Another thing that happens is the entire IE 7.0 freezes. I corrected that by shutting down e-mail notifications in the options ion Control Panel and just coming to the site looking for different topics. Whats is your opinion on this
Silverchild79?
And I agree with the last part. As I try to leave simple detail in what I post.........................................
Gosh you right I don't have much info there but do have enough for others to look for and post behind. gee you never gave it a chance nor did you do what you do best find the story and add the link.
But it is about me not you.
0 Replies

AMERICAFIRST cv

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 02:13 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;39218 wrote:
because I'm tired of everybody posting news articles with no news in them

here was his post

"hey something is going on somewhere in Asia and it reminds me of Nam"

it takes 5 seconds to google and make a worthwhile post people, if his post looked like this one it would have been left alone
Nobody is prefect!!
mlurp

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 02:21 pm
@AMERICAFIRST cv,
I sure fit that description. :thumbup:
AMERICAFIRST cv

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 02:24 pm
@mlurp,
mlurp;39234 wrote:
I sure fit that description. :thumbup:
we all fit that mold, just some of us will admit it..:thumbup:
mlurp

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 07:53 pm
@AMERICAFIRST cv,
darn it. The entire statement wiped clean. Sorry. This will have to do.

I have no problem with the truth. It is easy for me. It is part of my Honor I have embedded. The Code of Conduct, The Airborne Creed. Just another grunt who has walked the line in Indiana Country. Still a grunt.
Hate war but love the toys these guys have today and the new things coming. Wow.
I would pay the government to have a week in Iraq or Afghanistan, if it heats up. Todays Army has the toys that is a big part of the low body count for four years of constant battles, ambushes an encounters.
I think a week would kill me along but to get to use some of the tools of the trade of todays Military. Ya. In an instant.
AMERICAFIRST cv

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 06:33 am
@mlurp,
mlurp;39264 wrote:
darn it. The entire statement wiped clean. Sorry. This will have to do.

I have no problem with the truth. It is easy for me. It is part of my Honor I have embedded. The Code of Conduct, The Airborne Creed. Just another grunt who has walked the line in Indiana Country. Still a grunt.
Hate war but love the toys these guys have today and the new things coming. Wow.
I would pay the government to have a week in Iraq or Afghanistan, if it heats up. Todays Army has the toys that is a big part of the low body count for four years of constant battles, ambushes an encounters.
I think a week would kill me along but to get to use some of the tools of the trade of todays Military. Ya. In an instant.
As pissed as I am it would take way longer than a week..a couple years maybe..
mlurp

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 09:37 am
@AMERICAFIRST cv,
Ok got the dope correct. Link at botom of page.

Enlarge Photo AP9 killed in 2nd day of Myanmar crackdown
AP - 22 minutes ago YANGON, Myanmar - Security forces fired automatic weapons into thousands of pro-democracy protesters for a second day Thursday, and the military government said nine people were killed and 11 wounded.
There are other stories one might want to see there.
Gee and I wonder why I couldn't recall the names of the state and country. looooool

The top news headlines on current events from Yahoo! News
mlurp

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 07:49 pm
@mlurp,
Seems this topic made the news tonight. before the commercial the question of what and how soon will the World respond to offer Democracy. On CNN. I haven't checked the other news groups.
AMERICAFIRST cv

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 07:57 pm
@mlurp,
mlurp;39437 wrote:
Seems this topic made the news tonight. before the commercial the question of what and how soon will the World respond to offer Democracy. On CNN. I haven't checked the other news groups.
it don't matter, this will America fault sooner or later..
mlurp

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 12:16 am
@AMERICAFIRST cv,
AMERICAFIRST;39317 wrote:
As pissed as I am it would take way longer than a week..a couple years maybe..

I have learned in my 60 short years that it is better to be pissed than pissed on! One can't fight city hall. That is a basic rule of life.
0 Replies

mlurp

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 12:18 am
@AMERICAFIRST cv,
AMERICAFIRST;39443 wrote:
it don't matter, this will America fault sooner or later..

No I don't think so. Cheer up. Are them 5 children driving you up the wall? he, he, he........ life is to short to be so tight and being angry, but I to get wired sometimes.
AMERICAFIRST cv

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 08:07 am
@mlurp,
mlurp;39481 wrote:
No I don't think so. Cheer up. Are them 5 children driving you up the wall? he, he, he........ life is to short to be so tight and being angry, but I to get wired sometimes.
No they havn't drove me up the wall yet,, they know better..Very Happy
mlurp

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 04:55 pm
@AMERICAFIRST cv,
Troops take back control in Myanmar - Yahoo! News
mlurp

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 08:41 pm
@mlurp,
FOXNews.com - Myanmar Leader Delays Meeting With U.N. Envoy, Dissidents Claim 200 Dead - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
mlurp

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 09:16 pm
@mlurp,
Guess this says it all.
mlurp

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 10:03 am
@mlurp,
Silverchild79, maybe if this thread continues as I think it will. We need (if possible) to change the title from Burma to the country's new name, Myanmar

Link at the bottom of this post.

U.N. envoy meets Myanmar junta chief By Aung Hla Tun
1 hour, 6 minutes ago

YANGON (Reuters) - U.N. envoy Ibrahim Gambari met Myanmar junta chief Than Shwe and opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi on Tuesday at the end of four-day mission to halt a bloody crackdown on the biggest democracy protests in 20 years.

As he flew out, there was no word on whether Gambari's single meeting with the 74-year-old Senior General, who rarely pays heed to the outside world, had persuaded him to relax his iron grip or start talks with Suu Kyi, whom he is believed to loathe.

Gambari arrived in Singapore on Tuesday and was due to meet the city-state's prime minister, Lee Hsien Loong, on Wednesday, a Singapore government statement said. It provided no further details.

The U.N. office in Yangon said Gambari would return to New York to report to the U.N. Secretary-General. In a statement, it said he met Than Shwe and other members of the senior junta leadership to "discuss the current situation in Myanmar."

Gambari also met Suu Kyi, the statement said. It provided no further details.

Witnesses reported slightly fewer troops on Yangon's streets on Tuesday, but raids on homes by pro-junta gangs looking for dissident monks and civilians suggested Gambari's nascent "shuttle diplomacy" and international calls for restraint had made little difference.

"They are going from apartment to apartment, shaking things inside, threatening the people. You have a climate of terror all over the city," a Bangkok-based Myanmar expert with many friends in Yangon said.

U.S. charge d'affaires Shari Villarosa told Reuters by telephone from Yangon arrests continued throughout Gambari's mission.

"We have heard that arrests are continuing at night, like at two o'clock in the morning. We've heard it's the military. I don't know who is doing it, but people are going around in the middle of the night and taking people away," she said.

"People are terrified. This government keeps power through fear and intimidation and they are trying to intimidate people to stay off the streets."

Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy, which won a massive election landslide in 1990 only to be denied power by the army, said 130 of its members and other activists had been detained.

In another sign the army is confident it has squashed its most serious threat since a 1988 uprising, it cut two hours off a curfew imposed last week during monk-led protests against decades of military rule and deepening economic hardship.

The barbed-wire barricades have also gone from Yangon's Shwedagon and Sule pagodas, the focal points of demonstrations which filled at least five city blocks at their height.

SHUTTLE DIPLOMACY HOPES

Gambari flew to Naypyidaw, the new jungle capital of the country formerly known as Burma, to convey international outrage at last week's military crackdown, which prompted "revulsion" in Southeast Asian neighbors and a rare Chinese call for restraint.

Having met three minister-generals and Suu Kyi at the weekend, the former Nigerian foreign minister was made to wait until Tuesday for his audience with Than Shwe, a delay that did not augur well for those urging reconciliation.

The U.N. Security Council, which endorsed Gambari's emergency visit, had hoped for some sort of dialogue between a military that has been in charge for 45 years and 62-year Nobel laureate Suu Kyi, in detention for nearly 12 of the last 18 years.

Western governments say the death toll in the crackdown is likely to be far higher than the 10 officially acknowledged when troops opened fire to clear protesters from the streets of Yangon, Myanmar's former capital and main city.

In truth, nobody knows how many died in the crackdown, which many feared would descend into a repeat of 1988, when the army was sent in to crush a nationwide uprising and killed an estimated 3,000 people over several months.

"I don't think even the generals have any idea what the real death toll is at the moment," a Hong Kong-based Myanmar human rights expert said after state-run media proclaimed the protests had been dealt "with care, using the least possible force."

"NORMALCY" RETURNS

Buddhist monks say six of their brethren were killed in clashes with security forces and night raids on monasteries in which hundreds of monks were carted off. Many were kicked and beaten, people in the neighborhoods said.

One shocking picture of the body of a maroon-robed, shaven-headed monk lying in a pond has been posted on dissident news Web sites and there are unconfirmed reports of monks caged at a technical institute in north Yangon on hunger strike.

At U.N. headquarters in New York on Monday, Myanmar Foreign Minister Nyan Win accused "political opportunists" of trying to create a showdown with foreign help so they could exploit the ensuing chaos.

In a speech to the annual General Assembly, he said "normalcy" had returned and urged the international community to refrain from measures he said would add fuel to the fire.

One of Asia's brightest prospects and the world's largest rice exporter when it won independence from Britain in 1948, Myanmar is now one of the region's poorest countries despite an abundance of timber, gems, oil and natural gas.

The protests began with small marches against fuel price rises in mid-August but intensified when soldiers shot over the heads of protesting monks, causing the monasteries to mobilize.
U.N. envoy meets Myanmar junta chief - Yahoo! News
mlurp

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 01:41 pm
@mlurp,
Burma: After Protests, Rebels Plot Comeback - Newsweek: World News - MSNBC.com

Looks like it is going to get worst. Anyone find a way to blame America for ths yet?