Is anybody worth $6,000 a hour?

wvpeach

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 03:55 pm
ABC News: Oil: Exxon Chairman's $400 Million Parachute

What do you think folks is the exxon chairman making 400,000 million in retirement benefits a good thing?

If you scroll down the article to about 1/2 way it says this guy is being paid $6,000 a hour in 2005 . Is anybody worth that amount of money in salary .

Do you think this guy should give a little of that salary back in the interest of dropping gas prices or what?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 767 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 07:59 am
@wvpeach,
The market is controlled by supply and demand. How much extra do you pay above price per gallon? If you don't how much weight do your words hold?
wvpeach

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 09:29 am
@Drnaline,
I know that the cost of crude is just slightly over 50% of the cost of a gallon of gas. And that the federal government collects about 30 cents per gallon on every gallon sold . Most states have tacked on their own taxes that range from 15 cents - another 35 cents.

National marketing associations say that gas companies spend about 11% of the cost of a gallon of gas on marketing and feel good campaigns like BP for the next generation of bio diesel commercials that are all over tv now days.

I have seen it testified before congress that the gas companies are spending 3% of every gallon on research and development for future technologies.

So Lets see if we add it all up it amounts to about 78% cost and 22% profit on every gallon of gas sold. Not a huge profit per gallon , but still really huge when you look at the fact we all must have gas and they sell millions of gallons a day.

I also know that a gallon of gas in Saudi Arabia costs 45 cents, and our president holds the saudi kings hand. He must think he's so awesome , being able to rake us over the coals while keeping his own people living in the lap of luxury. Something Bush does not want to do.
0 Replies

briansol

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 11:54 am
@wvpeach,
free enterprise.

if i owned exxon and took all the risk, i'd want to be paid well too.

NO ONE makes you drive, or heat your home with oil, or use electricity. It's a necesseity, but only because we are used to it.
wvpeach

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 12:19 pm
@briansol,
I agree brain gas is a luxury not a necessity .

But this guy did not put out all the money and take the risk to start exxon. he didn't take any risks or put any money out of pocket to start the company.

He is a employee of a long established corporation .

Kinda like in my neck of the woods gas wells abound and the landowners were paid $100 back in the late 1800"s for the mineral rights. Now gas companies are pumping away 24/7 making millions off those oil wells.

Some would say well okay dummies you sold the rights for a $100 serves you right. But I would say people had no idea of modern mining techniques and just how much the rights were worth when they sold them. So I would agree with you brian . the gas company invested the money to get the wells going and they deserve a bigger share of the profits. But do they deserve it all for that $100 payment they made in the beginning? i don't think so! they have recouped there money and now should be giving the land owners a small percentage at least of the profits . come on these wells have been pumping where I live for 60 years .

just like this guy cannot and neither can exxon justify a 400,000 million retirement .
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 01:05 pm
@wvpeach,
Quote:
But do they deserve it all for that $100 payment they made in the beginning?
By law, Yes.
0 Replies