Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 10:49 am
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!!

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

9 P.M. ET on PBS

For three decades Vice President Dick Cheney conducted a secretive, behind-closed-doors campaign to give the president virtually unlimited wartime power. Finally, in the aftermath of 9/11, the Justice Department and the White House made a number of controversial legal decisions. Orchestrated by Cheney and his lawyer David Addington, the department interpreted executive power in an expansive and extraordinary way, granting President George W. Bush the power to detain, interrogate, torture, wiretap and spy -- without congressional approval or judicial review.

Now, as the White House appears ready to ignore subpoenas in the wiretapping and U.S. attorneys' cases, FRONTLINE's season premiere, Cheney's Law, airing Oct. 16, 2007, at 9 P.M. ET on PBS (check local listings), examines the battle over the power of the presidency and Cheney's way of looking at the Constitution.

"The vice president believes that Congress has very few powers to actually constrain the president and the executive branch," former Justice Department attorney Marty Lederman tells FRONTLINE. "He believes the president should have the final word, indeed the only word on all matters within the executive branch."

After Sept. 11, Cheney and Addington were determined to implement their vision -- in secret. The vice president and his counsel found an ally in John Yoo, a lawyer at the Justice Department's extraordinarily powerful Office of Legal Counsel. In concert with Addington, Yoo wrote memoranda authorizing the president to act with unparalleled authority.

"Through interviews with key administration figures, Cheney's Law documents the bruising bureaucratic battles between a group of conservative Justice Department lawyers and the Office of the Vice President over the legal foundation for the most closely guarded programs in the war on terror," says FRONTLINE producer/director/writer Michael Kirk. This is Kirk's tenth documentary about the Bush administration's policies since 9/11 (Rumsfeld's War, The Torture Question, The Dark Side, The Lost Year in Iraq, Endgame).

In his most extensive television interview since leaving the Justice Department, former Assistant Attorney General Jack L. Goldsmith describes his initial days at the Department of Justice in the fall of 2003 as he learned about the government's most secret and controversial covert operations. Goldsmith was shocked by the administration's secret assertion of unlimited power.

"There were extravagant and unnecessary claims of presidential power that were wildly overbroad to the tasks at hand," Goldsmith says. "I had a whole flurry of emotions. My first one was disbelief that programs of this importance could be supported by legal opinions that were this flawed. My second was the realization that I would have a very, very hard time standing by these opinions if pressed. My third was the sinking feeling -- what was I going to do if I was pressed about reaffirming these opinions?"

As Goldsmith began to question his colleagues' claims that the administration could ignore domestic laws and international treaties, he began to clash with Cheney's office. According to Goldsmith, Addington warned him, "If you rule that way, the blood of the 100,000 people who die in the next attack will be on your hands."

Goldsmith's battles with Cheney culminated in a now-famous hospital-room confrontation at Attorney General John Ashcroft's bedside. Goldsmith watched as White House Counsel Alberto Gonzales and Chief of Staff Andy Card pleaded with Ashcroft to overrule the department's finding that a domestic surveillance program was illegal. Ashcroft rebuffed the White House, and as many as 30 department lawyers threatened to resign. The president relented.

But Goldsmith's victory was temporary, and Cheney's Law continues the story after the famous hospital-room standoff. At the Justice Department, White House Counsel Gonzales was named attorney general and tasked with reasserting White House control. On Capitol Hill, Cheney lobbied Congress for broad authorizations for the eavesdropping program and for approval of the administration's system for trying suspected terrorists by military tribunals.

As the White House and Congress continue to face off over executive privilege, the Terrorist Surveillance Program, and the firing of U.S. attorneys, FRONTLINE tells the story of the man behind what some view as the most ambitious project to reshape the power of the president in American history.

Following the broadcast, Cheney's Law will be available to view on FRONTLINE's Web site, FRONTLINE: coming soon: cheney's law | PBS.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,765 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 07:32 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
Hmmmmmmmmmmm- suppose we better watch. Certainly want to know why the President shouldn't have the final word on matters within the executive branch.
0 Replies

FedUpAmerican

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 08:24 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
Hmmmmmmm - It probably has something to do with the constitution.

Remember that?
Freeman15

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 10:26 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
The issue isn't whether or not the president should have control over the executive branch, he should, it's (kinda) in the Constitution. Constitutionally the president is very weak, we simply unlawfully allowed the office to become more powerful.

The issue is oversight. Congress represents the people, and as such is empowered under federal law, passed in accordance with Article I Section. 8 of the US Consitution to issue subpoenas and hold hearings concerning any issue of legislative importance (this constitutes a lesser tribunal to the SCOTUS). Failure to comply with a Congressional subpoena, or providing false information to Congress under oath is the same as doing so in a court of law. The presidency is designed primarily to be a servant of the Congress (with some power to check an abominable Congress), he commands (not runs) the army in battle, enforces laws, and is America's face abroad.

I LOVE the idea of Congressional oversight of this administration. In fact, I believe the Democrats were elected for exactly that purpose. They haven't DONE a goddamn thing, but that's not the point.
aaronssongs

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 10:59 pm
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;41111 wrote:
The issue isn't whether or not the president should have control over the executive branch, he should, it's (kinda) in the Constitution. Constitutionally the president is very weak, we simply unlawfully allowed the office to become more powerful.

The issue is oversight. Congress represents the people, and as such is empowered under federal law, passed in accordance with Article I Section. 8 of the US Consitution to issue subpoenas and hold hearings concerning any issue of legislative importance (this constitutes a lesser tribunal to the SCOTUS). Failure to comply with a Congressional subpoena, or providing false information to Congress under oath is the same as doing so in a court of law. The presidency is designed primarily to be a servant of the Congress (with some power to check an abominable Congress), he commands (not runs) the army in battle, enforces laws, and is America's face abroad.

I LOVE the idea of Congressional oversight of this administration. In fact, I believe the Democrats were elected for exactly that purpose. They haven't DONE a *** thing, but that's not the point.

This administration, courtesy of Dick Cheney, who has been bucking for an imperial presidency since the days of Nixon, hijacked the Constitution, the DOJ, the Supreme Court, and has been in abject contempt of Congress...that is all going to come to a screeching halt, come Nov 08, when Hillary takes the WH. You must not understand the climate of the country concerning Repubs.
mlurp

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 11:05 pm
@Freeman15,
And who is going to tell Nancy that "Congress represents the people"
Besides she is to busy trying to ruin our best military supply line in Iraq and something about taking God, out of what ever, I forgot now.

Also thanks, that is one of your best post FedUpAmerican. I will mark my calendar now.

And this just shows my concern about Iran and Bush attacking it, is a real worry.
Freeman15

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 11:18 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;41119 wrote:
This administration, courtesy of Dick Cheney, who has been bucking for an imperial presidency since the days of Nixon, hijacked the Constitution, the DOJ, the Supreme Court, and has been in abject contempt of Congress...that is all going to come to a screeching halt, come Nov 08, when Hillary takes the WH. You must not understand the climate of the country concerning Repubs.

Hillary will be more of the same, and a DNC Congress will roll over for her just like the GOP Congress rolled over for Bush. They're all a bunch of flaming assholes. The only solution is to have a 2/3> majority of one party in Congress, and a president of the opposing party. Clinton's presidency didn't kick ass because Clinton kicked ass, it kicked ass because only legislation that both sides liked could come through. Because of partisan hackery, Clinton was brought before Congress under articles of impeachment, something that wouldn't have happened had the Congress been DNC. I'm in favor of articles of impeachment against Bush, but your party hasn't got the sack to levy them.

The only way to prevent two bullies from bothering you is to make sure they're too busy bothering each other.
Freeman15

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 11:22 pm
@mlurp,
mlurp;41121 wrote:
Besides she is to busy trying to ruin our best military suppy line in Iraq and something about taking God, out of what ever, I forgot now.

Pelosi was duely elected by her District and is entitled to her position as House Speaker (as position with little genuine power), don't like it, campaign harder for the GOP in 2008. Congress is our voice in government, and the awesome thing about democracy is it allows us to accept responsibility for our country, in the good times and the bad. We allowed the GOP TOTAL control of government for six years, and so we're to blame for the state of our country (even those who voted third party or DNC, we failed to convince others). Congress only does what will get its members re-elected, and so if we change our stance on electing leaders for ourselves, they will change their stance on government action.
FedUpAmerican

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:58 am
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;41111 wrote:
In fact, I believe the Democrats were elected for exactly that purpose. They haven't DONE a goddamn thing, but that's not the point.

That seems to be a popular misconception of which I have written an article about. Check it out: Fed Up American: Pardon My Boehner
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 09:04 am
@mlurp,
mlurp;41121 wrote:
Besides she is to busy trying to ruin our best military suppy line in Iraq and something about taking God, out of what ever, I forgot now.

Also thanks, that is one of your best post FedUpAmerican. I will mark my calendar now.

And this just shows my concern about Iran and Bush attacking it, is a real worry.

Oh, about declaring Turkey's massacre of Armenians during WWI "A genocide"...big whoop..calling a spade a spade, at this late date.
But now throwing a thorn in Bush's side, as it concerns his war in Iraq...I couldn't be more pleased...if Turkey goes...good riddance...it means an uneasy situation for the furthering of the war effort, and the beginning of its' cessation. Halle-damn-lujah.
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 09:11 am
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;41124 wrote:
Hillary will be more of the same, and a DNC Congress will roll over for her just like the GOP Congress rolled over for Bush. They're all a bunch of flaming ***s. The only solution is to have a 2/3> majority of one party in Congress, and a president of the opposing party. Clinton's presidency didn't kick ass because Clinton kicked ass, it kicked ass because only legislation that both sides liked could come through. Because of partisan hackery, Clinton was brought before Congress under articles of impeachment, something that wouldn't have happened had the Congress been DNC. I'm in favor of articles of impeachment against Bush, but your party hasn't got the sack to levy them.

The only way to prevent two bullies from bothering you is to make sure they're too busy bothering each other.

Excuse me...but if and when Hillary wins the WH, and a Democratic Congress along with it...don't blame her. Blame the damn Repubs. Hell, we've had to endure George Bush with a Republican Congress, for 6 long years...high time we returned the favor.

The Dems are spineless , to be sure...but they know that they can't even think about impeachment without support of a sizable number of Repubs, seeing that the margin of the majority is razor thin...and we both know that ain't gonna happen...so don't blame them...better, blame the spineless, slimy Repubs, who failed to reel in this reprobate of a president...lacking integrity and character, while being "lobbied to death and riches"...what would have been their motivation, anyway?
FedUpAmerican

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 10:56 am
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;41124 wrote:
Hillary will be more of the same,

A rather interesting statistic that I read a while back was that if Hillary gets elected, 40% of the population will know nothing but a bush or Clinton in the white house.

Thats why I don't want Hillary as president. America needs a change and I don't think Hillary is the answer.
0 Replies

mlurp

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:10 pm
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;41125 wrote:
Pelosi was duely elected by her District and is entitled to her position as House Speaker (as position with little genuine power), don't like it, campaign harder for the GOP in 2008. Congress is our voice in government, and the awesome thing about democracy is it allows us to accept responsibility for our country, in the good times and the bad. We allowed the GOP TOTAL control of government for six years, and so we're to blame for the state of our country (even those who voted third party or DNC, we failed to convince others). Congress only does what will get its members re-elected, and so if we change our stance on electing leaders for ourselves, they will change their stance on government action.

LooooooooooooooL wow all i said was (and it was a joke) that who will tell Nancy. Sorry to have gotten you so upset that it took so many words and a lesson on government to answer my reply. can i ask you do you ever laugh? I'm not going to vote for either party of a one party system. You believe in it, I don't. But thanks for the lesson on government. But you left out Big Business and the elite who run our government. Or how else can one explain this mess American has had for the last 10-20 years. Foul ups? wel one can go back 50 or sixty years and it is same then as today. I love the fact you actually believe you have a voice in Washington and your vote counts. I believe the past two elections have shown different. But why upset you any longer.
Have A Nice day friend.
mlurp

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:58 pm
@mlurp,
And here is a answer to Nancy's thoughtless decision. Oh how very non mature of Turkey. lol Not only is she putting our troops resupplys at risk the State Dept. Has to warn Americans about possible violent repercussions!
Little by litte this entire situation in the the middle east is getting out of hand. My question why did this come up now? She could have tabled this till another time.

Turkey recalls US ambassador for talks By C. ONUR ANT, Associated Press Writer
2 hours, 53 minutes ago

ANKARA, Turkey - Turkey ordered its ambassador in Washington to return to Turkey for consultations over a U.S. House panel's approval of a bill describing the World War I-era mass killings of Armenians as genocide, a Foreign Ministry spokesman said Thursday.

The ambassador would stay in Turkey for about a week or 10 days for discussions about the measure, said Foreign Ministry spokesman Levent Bilman.

"We are not withdrawing our ambassador. We have asked him to come to Turkey for some consultations," he said. "The ambassador was given instructions to return and will come at his earliest convenience."

State Department spokesman Tom Casey, said he was unaware of Turkey's decision, but said the United States wants to continue to have good relations with Turkey.

"I'll let the Turkish government speak for itself," he said. "I think that the Turkish government has telegraphed for a long time, has been very vocal and very public about its concerns about this and has said that they did intend to act in very forceful way if this happens."

Private NTV television said Turkey's naval commander had canceled a planned trip to the United States over the bill.

Earlier, the U.S. ambassador to Turkey, Ross Wilson, was invited to the Foreign Ministry, where Turkish officials conveyed their "unease" over the bill and asked that the Bush administration do all in its power to stop the bill from passing in the full House, a Foreign Ministry official said. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to make press statements.

The House Foreign Affairs Committee passed the bill Wednesday despite intense lobbying by Turkish officials and opposition from President Bush. The vote was a triumph for well-organized Armenian-American interest groups who have lobbied Congress for decades to pass a resolution. The administration will now try to pressure Democratic leaders in Congress not to schedule a vote, although it is expected to pass.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates reiterated his opposition to the resolution Thursday, saying the measure could hurt relations at a time when U.S. forces in Iraq rely heavily on Turkish permission to use their airspace for U.S. air cargo flights.

Relations are already strained by accusations that the U.S. is unwilling to help Turkey fight Kurdish rebels based in northern Iraq.

About 70 percent of U.S. air cargo headed for Iraq goes through Turkey, as does about one-third of the fuel used by the U.S. military in Iraq. U.S. bases also get water and other supplies by land from Turkish truckers who cross into the northern region of Iraqi Kurdistan.

Historians estimate up to 1.5 million Armenians were killed by Ottoman Turks around the time of World War I, an event widely viewed by genocide scholars as the first genocide of the 20th century. Turkey, however, denies the deaths constituted genocide, saying that the toll has been inflated and that those killed were victims of civil war and unrest.

"It is not possible to accept such an accusation of a crime which was never committed by the Turkish nation," the Turkish government said Thursday. "It is blatantly obvious that the House Committee on Foreign Affairs does not have a task or function to rewrite history by distorting a matter which specifically concerns the common history of Turks and Armenians."

Armenian President Robert Kocharian welcomed the vote, saying: "We hope this process will lead to a full recognition by the United States of America ... of the genocide."

Speaking to reporters Thursday after meeting European Union foreign policy chief Javier Solana, Kocharian also appealed to Turkey to join talks on restoring bilateral relations.

Turkey is under no pressure from the EU to call the Armenian killings genocide. The European Commission criticized France last year when that country's lower house voted to make it a crime to deny the killings were genocide. The upper house did not take up the bill, so it never became law.

Turkey has warned that relations with the United States will suffer if the bill passes, but has not specified possible repercussions. U.S. diplomats have been quietly preparing Turkish officials for weeks for the likelihood that the resolution would pass, asking for a muted response.

Undersecretary of State Nicholas Burns said the Turks "have not been threatening anything specific" in response to the vote, and that he hopes the "disappointment can be limited to statements."

Turkey ended its military ties with France over its bill last year. But a decision to cut far more expansive military ties with the United States could have serious consequences for Turkey's standing as a reliable ally of the West.

"I don't think that Turkey will go so far as to put in doubt its whole network of allied relations with the United States," said Ruben Safrastian, director of the Institute of Eastern Studies of the Armenian National Academy of Sciences. "In the end, not only is the United States interested in Turkey, but Turkey is interested in the United States."

Adding to tensions, Turkey is considering launching a military offensive into Iraq against the Kurdish rebels — a move the United States strongly opposes because it could destabilize one of the few relatively peaceful areas in Iraq.

Iraq's Kurdish region is heavily dependent on trade with Turkey, which provides the region with electricity and oil products. Annual trade at Habur gate, the main border crossing, is more than $10 billion.

In a recent letter, Turkish President Abdullah Gul warned there would be "serious troubles" if Congress adopted the measure. He reacted quickly Wednesday, saying "some politicians in the United States have once again sacrificed important matters to petty domestic politics despite all calls to common sense."

Turkish newspapers denounced the decision. "27 foolish Americans," the daily Vatan said on its front-page headline, in reference to legislators who voted for the bill.

Hurriyet called the resolution: "Bill of hatred."

The U.S. Embassy urged Americans in Turkey to be alert for violent repercussions. Wilson said he regretted the committee's decision and said he hoped it would not be passed by the House.

Turkey recalls US ambassador for talks - Yahoo! News
0 Replies

FedUpAmerican

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 05:31 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
What does a story about the Turkish ambassador have to do with the upcoming PBS special that the thread is supposed to be about?

I LOVE how people refuse to stay on topic.

Oh but I'M the bad guy.
mlurp

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 06:39 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
I was replying to what was a joke to Freeman15, who was replying to......... And who was replying to........
But it was a great post and I will sure watch it. And I thank you for posting it.
And I think all will see your post before they see the others. And agree it was a great post and should be watched.
Also when you post like above your not a bad guy IMHO. But if I am at fault on this I apologize and ask you to be kind enough to forgive me.
0 Replies

FedUpAmerican

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 06:50 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
LOL! Consider yourself forgiven. I was just poking you with a stick a bit.
mlurp

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 07:01 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
How big of a stick...........lol Opps off topic again, sorry.
0 Replies

FedUpAmerican

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:04 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
Mlurp I welcome your responses to ANY of my posts. Please remember Fed Up is a character whose views are mine but the delivery is ALWAYS a bit over the top.

We can disagree on things but always remember FedUp's new catch phrase:

EVERYONE is entitled to MY opinion.
92b16vx

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 10:11 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;41149 wrote:
Excuse me...but if and when Hillary wins the WH, and a Democratic Congress along with it...don't blame her. Blame the damn Repubs. Hell, we've had to endure George Bush with a Republican Congress, for 6 long years...high time we returned the favor.