Obama has lowered the bar for the American Dream

scooby-doo cv

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 02:46 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;59352 wrote:
I didn't say breaking the law was better - it's how you handle your life after doing so.

And what about the first woman to be the VP - that's gonna' be history!

I can almost feel the heat coming off your redneck over here in scotland :eek:
westernmom

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 02:49 am
@westernmom,
No, because she is a liberal. I would have preferred her over Obama though. I wouldn't be fighting so darn hard for the repubs then. Obama made the mistake of his career by not taking Hillary.

McCain was not my choice but he sure helped himself by choosing Palin.

My whole point in this thread is that being on food stamps is NOT a good thing and shouldn't be bragged about! We have experienced very humble years but would never have dreamed of going for handouts.

We grew a garden and raised our own food. We cut out frivolities such as private education for our kids because even though on scholarship there are extra costs incurred. I made all of children's clothes, including jeans. We did without the luxuries so we could pay our own way. That's the American Dream!

We now live in a beautiful home and have time and money to devote to community service. That's the American Dream. We adopted a child that needed a home. That's the American Dream. We raised a child with cerebral palsy and put her through school with no government money. That's the American Dream. It's not going on food stamps.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 02:52 am
@scooby-doo cv,
scooby-doo;59356 wrote:
I can almost feel the heat coming off your redneck over here in scotland :eek:

And there's something wrong with a "red neck?"
scooby-doo cv

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 03:00 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;59358 wrote:
And there's something wrong with a "red neck?"

I think so Very Happy but hey live and let live
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 03:37 am
@westernmom,
It's funny because my husband is as real as you get. He's always worked hard, paid his bills, never "put on airs" to be someone he isn't, goes to church (when I can drag him), hunts, fishes, drives a pick-up truck, tells it like it is, his word is his bond, seals deals and lives by them with a handshake, loves his kids and grandkids, wears Wranglers and a cowboy hat or baseball cap, loves football, stops and helps people who have car trouble, shovels the neighbors yard, and is a "real redneck"! The funny thing is, he has friends that owns helicopters, Leer Jets, Hummers, 20,000 sf homes, big businesses, and fits in just fine wherever he goes. So, I will take this old redneck over an elitist anyday!
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 07:18 am
@westernmom,
Scoob, grab a mirror and look in another mirror. See the back of your neck, what color is it? You to might be a redneck. LOL
aaronssongs

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 09:23 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;59304 wrote:
First of all, Cindy's outfit was "guessed" at that cost - and they included her jewelry. Have you noticed the designer labels Michelle wears? But, she sure doesn't look as good does she???

Yes, he is proud of the fact that they lived on food stamps or why would he bring it up all of the time? It came from his mouth not bloggers or pundits on a smear campaign such as the "outfit costs".

Also, why are you talking about black men in the fifties? She was a white woman... And Obama wasn't born until 1961. But, how about that Condolezza Rice's father - rather successful back in the fifties don't ya think?

Yes, I agree that we have done injustices to the blacks but the same can be said of the Mormans, American Indians, Jews, Irish, etc. Get over it people and quit using it as an excuse for not climbing the ladders that have been given to you. And yes, we have several close friends that are black and they don't whine all of the time!

Sorry. It's clear who the "real elite" are.
You have close friends that are black and don't whine? Is that in between waiting on you hand and foot and doing your laundry? Or is this your bridge club? Really, I find them suspect if they are your friends.
Nice job, minimizing whites role in the injustices done to blacks by offering up others who have done less. And so easy for you to simply say, "get over it".
You people slay me.
Curmudgeon

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 10:49 am
@aaronssongs,
Quote:
He's always worked hard, paid his bills, never "put on airs" to be someone he isn't, goes to church (when I can drag him), hunts, fishes, drives a pick-up truck, tells it like it is, his word is his bond, seals deals and lives by them with a handshake, loves his kids and grandkids, wears Wranglers and a cowboy hat or baseball cap, loves football, stops and helps people who have car trouble, shovels the neighbors yard, and is a "real redneck"! The funny thing is, he has friends that owns helicopters, Leer Jets, Hummers, 20,000 sf homes, big businesses, and fits in just fine wherever he goes. So, I will take this old redneck over an elitist anyday!

That sounds like me! Except for the hunting and fishing, neither have been high on my list in years.

Aaron, what in the world is "elitist" about what she posted?
aaronssongs

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 01:32 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon;59382 wrote:
That sounds like me! Except for the hunting and fishing, neither have been high on my list in years.

Aaron, what in the world is "elitist" about what she posted?

I was referring to John and Cindy McCain, as opposed to Barack and Michelle Obama.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 12:04 am
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;59379 wrote:
Sorry. It's clear who the "real elite" are.
You have close friends that are black and don't whine? Is that in between waiting on you hand and foot and doing your laundry? Or is this your bridge club? Really, I find them suspect if they are your friends.
Nice job, minimizing whites role in the injustices done to blacks by offering up others who have done less. And so easy for you to simply say, "get over it".
You people slay me.

YOU people???? Are you stereotyping me?

Well, I got up this morning at 5:30 and after showering, making breakfast, straightening my house, doing a little ironing, and checking my garden I took off for work at 7:30am where I will be until 5:00 tonight and then go home, fix supper, vacumn, do more laundry, and then head out to a Relay for Life meeting so I can get things set up before everyone gets there.

I don't recall ever saying I have it easy. So, why would I be an elitist? I sure don't make $317k a year and take 10 years to pay off student loans! Nor did I spend $12,000 a year for my kids piano and dance lessons! (And Michelle only has 2 girls!) Don't tell me how down to earth the Obama's are.

One of my "black friends" is a very gifted young man from Haiti who is attended school here in Idaho and married my daughter's best friend and is now a top engineer out at the INL. Another is a football player that loves my cooking. Another is a close business associate. Another is our realtor. No cooks or servants around here!
aaronssongs

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 02:20 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;59400 wrote:
YOU people???? Are you stereotyping me?

Well, I got up this morning at 5:30 and after showering, making breakfast, straightening my house, doing a little ironing, and checking my garden I took off for work at 7:30am where I will be until 5:00 tonight and then go home, fix supper, vacumn, do more laundry, and then head out to a Relay for Life meeting so I can get things set up before everyone gets there.

I don't recall ever saying I have it easy. So, why would I be an elitist? I sure don't make $317k a year and take 10 years to pay off student loans! Nor did I spend $12,000 a year for my kids piano and dance lessons! (And Michelle only has 2 girls!) Don't tell me how down to earth the Obama's are.

One of my "black friends" is a very gifted young man from Haiti who is attended school here in Idaho and married my daughter's best friend and is now a top engineer out at the INL. Another is a football player that loves my cooking. Another is a close business associate. Another is our realtor. No cooks or servants around here!

Well, excuse me. But I lean toward the Obamas, who are more "well-to-do" than rich, not like the McCains. Everyone wants to label Barack and his wife as "elitist" and wealthy, when he is just reaping the rewards of a best-selling book, supposedly, realization of "The American Dream", and now folks want to chastise him for it, while giving Daddy Warbucks McCain a pass?
I think the Obamas and the Bidens are far more representative of middle America than the McCains and the Palins. Do you hunt? I don't. And I don't plan to. I'm not getting near anything that could cause me pain or injury. Like a moose. Sorry.
And I do my own cooking, cleaning, and laundry, as well...and operate on a fixed income...and worry about how I'm going to pay for my meds. Big wonder how I'm voting.

P.S. And I apologize for seeming insulting. It did not escape me your gracious invitation....which one could only admire with humility.
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 03:12 am
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;59402 wrote:
Well, excuse me. But I lean toward the Obamas, who are more "well-to-do" than rich, not like the McCains. Everyone wants to label Barack and his wife as "elitist" and wealthy, when he is just reaping the rewards of a best-selling book, supposedly, realization of "The American Dream", and now folks want to chastise him for it, while giving Daddy Warbucks McCain a pass?
I think the Obamas and the Bidens are far more representative of middle America than the McCains and the Palins. Do you hunt? I don't. And I don't plan to. I'm not getting near anything that could cause me pain or injury. Like a moose. Sorry.
And I do my own cooking, cleaning, and laundry, as well...and operate on a fixed income...and worry about how I'm going to pay for my meds. Big wonder how I'm voting.

P.S. And I apologize for seeming insulting. It did not escape me your gracious invitation....which one could only admire with humility.

And I'd be quicker to spend 280,000 dollars on a house, not the butlers in it.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 03:34 am
@westernmom,
Aaron,

I agree that the Obama's are living the American dream. And I applaud them for doing so, but why brag about living on food stamps? That doesn't make them "like one of us" to me. Like I have stated before, I would never dream of going on food stamps and would never have to. Why? Because we have a huge food storage as does all of our family and are members of a church that insists that we take care of our own and not depend on government assistance.

Yes, we do hunt, well used to more than we do now. Our kids' and grandkids favorite memories are of spending a week in a tent in the mountains in the fall. I cooked huge dutch oven meals for everyone who wanted to join us. We rode our horses through the beautiful fall foliage. Played family games, talked around the campfire for hours, sang songs and bonded. My granddaughter was up there when she was 3 months old! No camp trailers either.

And yes, we hunted for deer and elk to fill our freezers for the winter. Our kids learned life skills while doing this. How to take care of themselves and not depend on others. How to interact with nature responsibly. How to get back to basics for cooking, etc. How to leave the hustle and bustle of the world behind, including tv's, cell phones, elec games, etc.

We have taken them to Disneyland, Mt Rushmore, cruises, etc. and yet they remember the yearly hunting trips the most.
scooby-doo cv

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 04:41 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;59371 wrote:
Scoob, grab a mirror and look in another mirror. See the back of your neck, what color is it? You to might be a redneck. LOL

Its white don't get much sunshine over here,but i don't judge people on their colour or their name.
0 Replies

scooby-doo cv

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 04:48 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;59414 wrote:
Aaron,

I agree that the Obama's are living the American dream. And I applaud them for doing so, but why brag about living on food stamps? That doesn't make them "like one of us" to me. Like I have stated before, I would never dream of going on food stamps and would never have to. Why? Because we have a huge food storage as does all of our family and are members of a church that insists that we take care of our own and not depend on government assistance.

Yes, we do hunt, well used to more than we do now. Our kids' and grandkids favorite memories are of spending a week in a tent in the mountains in the fall. I cooked huge dutch oven meals for everyone who wanted to join us. We rode our horses through the beautiful fall foliage. Played family games, talked around the campfire for hours, sang songs and bonded. My granddaughter was up there when she was 3 months old! No camp trailers either.

And yes, we hunted for deer and elk to fill our freezers for the winter. Our kids learned life skills while doing this. How to take care of themselves and not depend on others. How to interact with nature responsibly. How to get back to basics for cooking, etc. How to leave the hustle and bustle of the world behind, including tv's, cell phones, elec games, etc.

We have taken them to Disneyland, Mt Rushmore, cruises, etc. and yet they remember the yearly hunting trips the most.

"I agree the Obama's are living the american Dream" so why start a thread comparing Obam's mother being on food stamp's with Cindy Mccain's father who was a convicted felon,im a scot with a interest in world politics and that answer stinks :thumbdown: you then try to defend MCcains father for trying to do whats best for his family,what hypocrisy :thumbdown:
westernmom

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 07:52 am
@scooby-doo cv,
scooby-doo;59422 wrote:
"I agree the Obama's are living the american Dream" so why start a thread comparing Obam's mother being on food stamp's with Cindy Mccain's father who was a convicted felon,im a scot with a interest in world politics and that answer stinks :thumbdown: you then try to defend MCcains father for trying to do whats best for his family,what hypocrisy :thumbdown:

Look at the title - They have lowered the bar of the American Dream. But, why would you care? It's AMERICAN!
0 Replies

JDiggs

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 01:35 am
@scooby-doo cv,
@ Westernmom, your argument is pointless and invalid.

All I can say to counter that is that desperate times calls for desperate
accusations.

Obama is the right choice for this flailing country. Palin as VP is a bad disney movie turn reality - Arial hunter, soccer mom of 5 children becomes president.

really can she sit down and talk with Putin, give me a break, has America gone gogoo... its like a really bad dream.

Share your support for Obama with every email you send at emailwidgets.com
get your customized signature/banner for free and easy to install.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 01:44 am
@westernmom,
This is an opinion piece stating my own point. It's not desperate, it's the truth.

I agree desperate times do call for desperate measures and voting in Obama would be disasterous for the US economy.

And why would she be the one to sit down with Putin anyway? That would be up to the Pres or the Sec of State, not the VP. But, I don't think she would have a problem sitting down with anyone at all.

And it why is being a hunter or soccer mom disqualify anyone from being president?
0 Replies