Obama has lowered the bar for the American Dream

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 01:33 am
I have found it very interesting listening to political statements and how "proud" the democrats are of Barack Obama's upbringing. "He rose out of poverty and overcame great odds" is more or less the gist of it all. I guess attending private schools is considered poverty these days!

I am getting very tired of how often they point out how his mother used food stamps while he was growing up and while she was getting her doctorate of anthropology! Why are they so proud of the fact that she used food stamps?

Cindy McCain's dad sold his car to raise $10,000 to start his business. He came from an extremely poor background as well. But, by sacrificing his own property he built an American Dream! A business that was founded on good pay and benefits to his employee's and created (oh horrors) a "big business"!!!

Obama wants us all to think he is a down to earth guy just like the rest of us. Does that mean we should stick our hand out and expect government entitlements so we can get an ivy league education like he did?

I guess Obama has lowered the bar for the Great American Dream. Instead of sacrifice and hard work all you need are food stamps!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,731 • Replies: 37
No top replies

scooby-doo cv

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 05:10 am
@westernmom,
First black person to win their party's nomination for president,surely you can see the signifcance of that.

Barack Obama would have been lucky to be allowed to vote had he been brought up in the same era as Cindy Mccain' father :lightbulb:
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 06:19 am
@westernmom,
So, because he's black it's great that his white mother went on food stamps so he could attend private schools? I guess I don't get that reasoning. To me being on food stamps would NEVER be something I would be proud of. And believe me, I came from poor circumstances.
scooby-doo cv

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 12:19 am
@westernmom,
You try to draw comparisons between obama and Cindy Mccains father,do you think a black man in fifties america could have borrowed $10,000 and start up his own business distributing alchohol and be given a state liqour license despite his normally disqualifying felony conviction ?

A black man in fifties america was lucky if he could vote,he could get lyched for trying to register,black men were barred from voting in florida 2000 who never had felony convictions ! but hey lets just FORGET ABOUT THAT :lightbulb:
scooby-doo cv

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 12:29 am
@scooby-doo cv,
oh i forget to say Obama got a scholarship from the "private school" :thumbup:
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 11:25 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;59234 wrote:
I have found it very interesting listening to political statements and how "proud" the democrats are of Barack Obama's upbringing. "He rose out of poverty and overcame great odds" is more or less the gist of it all. I guess attending private schools is considered poverty these days!

I am getting very tired of how often they point out how his mother used food stamps while he was growing up and while she was getting her doctorate of anthropology! Why are they so proud of the fact that she used food stamps?

Cindy McCain's dad sold his car to raise $10,000 to start his business. He came from an extremely poor background as well. But, by sacrificing his own property he built an American Dream! A business that was founded on good pay and benefits to his employee's and created (oh horrors) a "big business"!!!

Obama wants us all to think he is a down to earth guy just like the rest of us. Does that mean we should stick our hand out and expect government entitlements so we can get an ivy league education like he did?

I guess Obama has lowered the bar for the Great American Dream. Instead of sacrifice and hard work all you need are food stamps!

How disingenuous. No one exclaimed that they or he was proud that his mother used food stamps, as if that were a crown to wear. He rose from humble beginnings, despite having had to use food stamps.
And your mentioning of Cindy McCain's beginnings has what to do with the fact that she had the audacity and gauche to wear a $300K outfit the night of her husband's acceptance speech, yet can accuse the Obamas of being "elitist"? Folks ain't stupid and can see the hypocrisy and the desperation demonstrated.
The Obamas and the Bidens are the embodiment of The American Dream. Excuse me.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 01:28 am
@westernmom,
First of all, Cindy's outfit was "guessed" at that cost - and they included her jewelry. Have you noticed the designer labels Michelle wears? But, she sure doesn't look as good does she???

Yes, he is proud of the fact that they lived on food stamps or why would he bring it up all of the time? It came from his mouth not bloggers or pundits on a smear campaign such as the "outfit costs".

Also, why are you talking about black men in the fifties? She was a white woman... And Obama wasn't born until 1961. But, how about that Condolezza Rice's father - rather successful back in the fifties don't ya think?

Yes, I agree that we have done injustices to the blacks but the same can be said of the Mormans, American Indians, Jews, Irish, etc. Get over it people and quit using it as an excuse for not climbing the ladders that have been given to you. And yes, we have several close friends that are black and they don't whine all of the time!
scooby-doo cv

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 02:49 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;59304 wrote:
First of all, Cindy's outfit was "guessed" at that cost - and they included her jewelry. Have you noticed the designer labels Michelle wears? But, she sure doesn't look as good does she???

Yes, he is proud of the fact that they lived on food stamps or why would he bring it up all of the time? It came from his mouth not bloggers or pundits on a smear campaign such as the "outfit costs".

Also, why are you talking about black men in the fifties? She was a white woman... And Obama wasn't born until 1961. But, how about that Condolezza Rice's father - rather successful back in the fifties don't ya think?

Yes, I agree that we have done injustices to the blacks but the same can be said of the Mormans, American Indians, Jews, Irish, etc. Get over it people and quit using it as an excuse for not climbing the ladders that have been given to you. And yes, we have several close friends that are black and they don't whine all of the time!

Im a talking about a black man in the fifites becuase YOU brought up Cindy Mccains father and how he sold he car to start his own business :lightbulb:

A business he should not have been start in the first place according to the law,because he had a felony conviction barring him from doiing so.
0 Replies

scooby-doo cv

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 05:13 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;59304 wrote:

"Yes i agree that we have done injusticies to the blacks but the same can be said of the mormons,american indians,jews,irish etc"

In the 2000 election thousands of black voters were denied the vote in florida,helping Bush steal the election with the help of his brother,i think the US should have election moniters to see this does not happen again dont you think ! WE CANT HAVE THIS TYPE OF THING GOING ON IN THE "GREAT BASTION OF DEMOCRACY" OR CAN WE ?
westernmom

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 07:47 am
@westernmom,
And what about ACORN and all of the fraudulant voting they have promoted? You want to talk about fraudulant voting I think the dem's take the cake with it.

The Wall Street Journal Online - Featured Article

And to think this is who Obama worked for!!!

If a person is willing to put everything on the line and start a business why should he be denied? The waters are pretty murky when it comes to what happened with McCain but he proved himself to be a wonderful employer by paying great wages and benefits and going on to use his wealth in humanitarian ways.
scooby-doo cv

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 01:50 am
@westernmom,
Talking Points Memo |
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 02:03 am
@westernmom,
I don't have time to always read and watch your links. Please post a real reply in your own words!
scooby-doo cv

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 02:03 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;59317 wrote:
And what about ACORN and all of the fraudulant voting they have promoted? You want to talk about fraudulant voting I think the dem's take the cake with it.

The Wall Street Journal Online - Featured Article

And to think this is who Obama worked for!!!

If a person is willing to put everything on the line and start a business why should he be denied? The waters are pretty murky when it comes to what happened with McCain but he proved himself to be a wonderful employer by paying great wages and benefits and going on to use his wealth in humanitarian ways.

You brought up mcains father living the "anerican dream" yet attacked
Obama's mother for being on food stamps and her son being sent to "private school" which was a scholarship.
Going by the law cindy mcains father should not have been allowed to own a state liqour licence despit having a normally disqualyfing felony conviction,do you think a black man would have been so LUCKY ?
0 Replies

scooby-doo cv

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 02:07 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;59343 wrote:
I don't have time to always read and watch your links. Please post a real reply in your own words!

I an sure you can make the time,you found the time to post your washington journal article ! the article i posted is in response and theyr'e is plenty more where that came from !
scooby-doo cv

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 02:18 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;59343 wrote:

Yeh and i have all the time in the world !
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 02:26 am
@westernmom,
My daughter was offered a scholarship at a private school but we really couldn't afford the other expenses that came with it so it was public school education for her! We were too busy earning money to buy food with our own money and not someone else's and living within our means.

As I said before - sacrificing everything you own is better than living off of entitlements - that should be the American Dream. You take all of the chances on yourself - even if you have a criminal background. Having a criminal background shouldn't be the end all for everyone. Whatever happened to the liberal point of view that we all need a second chance, help the other guy, etc?
westernmom

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 02:26 am
@scooby-doo cv,
scooby-doo;59345 wrote:
I an sure you can make the time,you found the time to post your washington journal article ! the article i posted is in response and theyr'e is plenty more where that came from !

I had that on my favorites!
0 Replies

scooby-doo cv

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 02:33 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;59349 wrote:
My daughter was offered a scholarship at a private school but we really couldn't afford the other expenses that came with it so it was public school education for her! We were too busy earning money to buy food with our own money and not someone else's and living within our means.

As I said before - sacrificing everything you own is better than living off of entitlements - that should be the American Dream. You take all of the chances on yourself - even if you have a criminal background. Having a criminal background shouldn't be the end all for everyone. Whatever happened to the liberal point of view that we all need a second chance, help the other guy, etc?

So breaking the law is better than living off entitlements for a period of time,i wonder what you would say if it had been the other way around,your hypocrisy stinks :thumbdown:

The first black man to win his party's nomination for president,if that's not living the "american dream" i don't know what is.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 02:37 am
@westernmom,
I didn't say breaking the law was better - it's how you handle your life after doing so.

And what about the first woman to be the VP - that's gonna' be history!
scooby-doo cv

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 02:41 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;59352 wrote:
I didn't say breaking the law was better - it's how you handle your life after doing so.

And what about the first woman to be the VP - that's gonna' be history!

Yeh yeh yeh , so a black man would have got the same chance as cindy's father ?

What if hillary had won the nomination would you be so supportive of her ?
0 Replies