Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 10:27 am
The following paragraph has several "major(s)", are they all the same?
What I understand now is "major = a professional student".

The poster said "I am not an English major", also said "I ... have an English major". Apparently the former means "a professional student", and does the latter mean "A field of study chosen as an academic specialty"?

So someone is a major. Does that mean that because you give him advise he MUST take it? I am not an English major, but i am English and live in England so i have a fair idea of how the English language works.

One last thing is, that so your an English major... and? E.G:

I am from India, and have an English major...

TIA
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,033 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 10:32 am
I don't understand that this individual is making any distinction, although the author might think so. In both cases, the definition would be "a field of study chose as an academic specialty." The person is not a major, rather the field of study is the person's major academic concentration. Without the full text, it is difficult to know what the author intends. Could the author be someone who is not a native speaker of English?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 10:32 am
I was an English major.

I majored in English.

In college, I chose English as my major, and mythology as my minor. The majority of my studies had to do with English.

I graduated with a B.A. in English because I majored in that subject.

Does that help?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 10:45 am
I am from India, and have an English major...

Of course, the Indian who has an English major could go several different directions, major being a military rank.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 10:51 am
We wouldn't say "have an English major" here. (Except in the sense of "Have you ever had an English major? They're sure talky!!" Um.)

We'd say "I have a degree in English" or "...a B.A. in English" or whatever. Then, separately, "I was an English major," "I majored in English", etc.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 10:59 am
Oristar, in the U.S. all college students have to "declare" a major to the school they are attending. That means, they have to tell their college counselor or advisor which degree they want and specify a field of study. There are many standard degrees: Anthropology, Biology, English, Music, etc.

Anyone with a degree such as a B.A. (bachelor of arts) B.S. (bachelor of science), M.A. (master of arts), etc., can further describe that degree by saying what their "major" is. For example, I have a bachelors degree, a B.A. It is in psychology. I could say I received a degree in Psychology. I might also say I majored in Psychology. I would no longer say I am a Psychology major since I don't attend school anymore. I might say "I was a Psychology major" to show it was in the past.

If someone said, "I am not an English major", also said "I ... have an English major," well, that is confusing because it is redundant. If I heard it, I'd assume the first statement "I am not an English major" is already implied by the second statement which seems to describe a completed degree. So why would someone say that? He is trying to be clear to you? She is answering a direct question?

The other possibility, somewhat farfetched, is the person is not in the English army with a rank of major... which is another meaning of "I am not an English major."
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2003 04:01 am
Thank you all! Very Happy

I have been much inspired by your introductions. Now I understood the poster might have used the word improperly. I might contact him to verify what on earth he was saying. Razz
0 Replies