James Madison/Thomas Jefferson and "General Welfare"

Pinochet73

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 04:38 am
@One Man Clan,
Yeah....the Founders were great men who accomplished a tremendous feat of political ingenuity by creating the US Government. Nonetheless, they lived in a different time, and faced different issues. We should try to respect the integrity of their fundamental work, while making necessary modifications to it to keep our system abreast of changing circumstances. It's their basic, collective philosophy we must attempt to preserve in whatever we do. The spirit of the Founders is sacrosanct.
mlurp

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 08:57 am
@Pinochet73,
Hummmmm very interesting yet in todays world of politics each branch seems to think more is better. And then pass laws the states must fund.
And then there is Dick Cheany and his puppet Bush who amoung others that don't care about the foundation the founding fathers set in motion. Som ehow we become a society of me first, last and always. Power and $ driv ethis.
And with so many cllleges graduating lawyers and social workers who seem to become the shakers and movers in one form or another it is all out of hand.
I'm not a Liberal, neocon or any other lable, but I do believe we need less goverment. And more honor in all of our people. Greed needs to leave. And the tax system, needs to tax by wealth of the person. And that is what one earns in the year not what on saves from year to year. Just INHO.
Silverchild79

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 11:03 am
@One Man Clan,
Great post! I think it's funny how America is trying to figure out of NHC is something the founding father's would want. They wouldn't have wanted federal income tax or Social Security. As great as the Civil War was for America it also cemented the federal government above the states which paved the way for American Socalism
0 Replies

Freeman15

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 11:16 am
@BlackcatProwl,
BlackcatProwl;42687 wrote:
The problem in accepting the construction Jefferson gives in his Opinion on the Constitutionality of a National Bank, 1791, is that it would cause a loss in the individual the right to bear arms. The Articles of Confederation and perpetual Union were not revoked, except where specifically over~rided by the Constitution.

'...But every State shall always keep up a well-regulated and disciplined militia, sufficiently armed and accoutered, and shall provide and constantly have ready for use, in public stores, a due number of filed pieces and tents, and a proper quantity of arms, ammunition and camp equipage.'

'A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.'

At the least, one would have to admit to gun control.

However, following the logic of Jefferson, the right to bear arms is dependent on being in the militia.

If one wishes to use the argument to delete other powers, one would have to accept this other loss. As well as the loss of power of the police to arrest people on federal drug charges.

The founders also saw taxes to be placed on wealth, increasing with the amount of wealth. The present exceptions to property tax would be illegal.

The Federal Bank would also be illegal and the control that advantages business men would be lost.

So, one has to decide if one can accept all the variations and cannot be selective.

Your interpreation of the second amendment is shallow and well.....to be nice about it, wrong.

Quote:

A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

It says, in contemportary language, "since a militia is necessary to keep a state free, the people of the state will be able to own weapons without restriction".

No militia is necessary in order for the people to own firearms. I really hate this argument because it only requires basic understanding of the English language to defeat.

Guns are good. They keep you free and allow you the ability to destroy things at the range.

Welfare is bad. It bankrupts your nation and creates an entitlement machine that enslaves the poor.
aaronssongs

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 12:49 pm
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;42712 wrote:
Your interpreation of the second amendment is shallow and well.....to be nice about it, wrong.

It says, in contemportary language, "since a militia is necessary to keep a state free, the people of the state will be able to own weapons without restriction".

No militia is necessary in order for the people to own firearms. I really hate this argument because it only requires basic understanding of the English language to defeat.

Guns are good. They keep you free and allow you the ability to destroy things at the range.

Welfare is bad. It bankrupts your nation and creates an entitlement machine that enslaves the poor.

"Guns, good...welfare, bad"...sounds like proclamations from "Animal Farm".
Pinochet73

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 05:28 pm
@mlurp,
mlurp;42703 wrote:
Hummmmm very interesting yet in todays world of politics each branch seems to think more is better. And then pass laws the states must fund.
And then there is Dick Cheany and his puppet Bush who amoung others that don't care about the foundation the founding fathers set in motion. Som ehow we become a society of me first, last and always. Power and $ driv ethis.
And with so many cllleges graduating lawyers and social workers who seem to become the shakers and movers in one form or another it is all out of hand.
I'm not a Liberal, neocon or any other lable, but I do believe we need less goverment. And more honor in all of our people. Greed needs to leave. And the tax system, needs to tax by wealth of the person. And that is what one earns in the year not what on saves from year to year. Just INHO.

Hey.....Dick'n Bush are great. They're good guys. Give'm a chance, will ya?:headbang:
BlackcatProwl

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 06:13 pm
@One Man Clan,
What I said is if one accepts the construction put forward by Jefferson, one would have to look at the second amendment as well in that light.

'The right of the people to keep and bear arms' is a dependent sentence.

'A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms...'

''A well-regulated militia... the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.'

'...being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.'

'A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State... shall not be infringed.'

The second phrase describes the first, so the last one is describing the first, not the third.

That would be using Jefferson's logic about which the thread was started.

The third phrase is dependent on the idea of a militia.

Either one has to accept the idea of the construction or not.

Of course, it is true that the spirit is what should be applied, not strict wording, as is applicable.

I would argue that the amendment represents the right to defend oneself, but I wouldn't go so far to say, as some seem to do, that there shouldn't be any regulations.

But I was arguing about the dependency of phrases and their meanings in context to the argument against supporting the general welfare.

I greatly admire Jefferson, and I am also suspicious of some of Hamilton's ideas, but I do question the extreme position taken here. Jefferson was very much for education, so I wonder how he reconciled this with what he says in regard to these limitations. Admittedly, his efforts were often thwarted~ the discussion about education being put in the Constitution narrowly failed to do so.

I understand his criticism, yet it would have to be applied whole~heartedly, and in whole, or it isn't a very good legal argument.

The argument about the right to bear arms is related, and it also stems out.

There are other statements that qualify the issue. Jefferson appears to believe in the personal ownership of guns as he believes that the People contain the power, and the right of revolution, while Washington seems to be more in line with the idea of a militia.

I, for one, think that Jefferson was right regarding the power of the People, which is really the individual's right to buck tyranny, but I qualify it by the type of government the United States has. That is a democratic, representative, constitutional republic. Pure democracy is mob rule, and I don't think Jefferson aspired to that, seeing, for one, that he had different ideas on religion, and the sense of a spiritual conscience. He respected the right of the minority and the individual and so he couldn't have believed in simple majority rule.

I do believe that encompassed in the second amendment is the idea of duty to country, as espoused by Washington. So, while there is the idea of personal protection, the right to overthrow the government, if it has lost its way, there is also the duty to country, and all which really is not truly allegiance to self or country, yet to principles.
aaronssongs

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 06:36 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;42737 wrote:
Hey.....Dick'n Bush are great. They're good guys. Give'm a chance, will ya?:headbang:

They already had a chance...and they f..... up, royally. Now, they should go to jail for the rest of their lives.
0 Replies

Freeman15

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 11:41 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;42715 wrote:
"Guns, good...welfare, bad"...sounds like proclamations from "Animal Farm".

When you take two words out of twenty, yeah, I guess it does. Still nothing of value to contribute I see.
0 Replies

Freeman15

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 11:51 pm
@BlackcatProwl,
Quote:

A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

The first portion of the amendment is the causal statement of the second.

BECAUSE a well-regulated militia is necessary.....the right of the people to own weapons shall not be infringed.

Now, arms of the time were firearms, so we know that they meant firearms. The amendment might as well read, "the right of the people to own firearms shall not be infringed".

That said, we know that the Continentals used private weapons for arms parity with the British Army, so one would think that they would advocate arms parity with the government they might want to overthrow. Our Army has assault weapons, and so we too should have assault weapons.

Using the thinking of the founders, it's easy to figure out exactly what the second amendment says. Unrestricted access to weapons, period.
mlurp

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 09:36 am
@Freeman15,
Ok then please tell my why the different state militas are undo or underground? And don't say McVeigh was the reason as he only picke dup a pamplet and set in a meting. The US government made the militas look bad and the media backed this up. So with this idea no militas then no guns. Hoog wash. If the leaders over time make changes to keep pace with the world hen we have to accept that this topic needs to keep pace too.
remember many mass killers believe an unarmed people....
Freeman15

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 01:03 pm
@mlurp,
mlurp;42798 wrote:
Ok then please tell my why the different state militas are undo or underground? And don't say McVeigh was the reason as he only picke dup a pamplet and set in a meting. The US government made the militas look bad and the media backed this up. So with this idea no militas then no guns. Hoog wash. If the leaders over time make changes to keep pace with the world hen we have to accept that this topic needs to keep pace too.
remember many mass killers believe an unarmed people....

I love that picture, really puts the gun-control crowd on their ass.

We don't need fewer guns, we need more. Ever notice that mass shootings usually happen in gun-free zones? I bet 9/11 would've ended differently had some of the passengers on those planes been packing.

Weapons provide the foundation upon which the house of liberty is built.
92b16vx

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 01:40 pm
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;42810 wrote:
We don't need fewer guns, we need more. Ever notice that mass shootings usually happen in gun-free zones? I bet 9/11 would've ended differently had some of the passengers on those planes been packing.

At the very least the pilots.
mlurp

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 04:21 pm
@92b16vx,
Thank you both as a picture is better than 10,000 words at times. And every pilotes needs to be packing from now on. But no drinking so they don't miss... Have a safe flight.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 07:24 pm
@Pinochet73,
After departing the military, I worked for a short while as a welfare-to-work case worker. I found all sorts of welfare forms with Madison's and Jefferson's signatrue blocks on them. Are you telling me they belonged to our Founding Fathers? If I had known that, I would've kept some of them. Darn it.:no:
0 Replies