Dating timeline changes from B.C and A.D to B.C.E and A.C.E

STNGfan

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 12:18 am
American text books are now being printed with timelines as B.C.E before the common era and C.E common era instead of B.C before christ or A.D after death. This is to state the the common era or christain era will not always be here they forsee as with the past many era's to come and go.

Some Christians are very hostile over the change. Thinking it is some attack on chrstianity.

What do you think of the new time line. Other countries such as India, China, Europe all use common era as well does Israel.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,936 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Volunteer

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 06:17 am
@STNGfan,
I think it is another reason we need a political party like the one outlined at my signature.
92b16vx

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 07:37 am
@Volunteer,
Volunteer;20404 wrote:
I think it is another reason we need a political party like the one outlined at my signature.

Yea, a bunch of biblethumbers and holyrollers in charge of politics. lol NO THANKS.
Volunteer

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 07:51 am
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;20411 wrote:
Yea, a bunch of biblethumbers and holyrollers in charge of politics. lol NO THANKS.

You have quite a bit of confidence in the potential of such a party to say that it would be "in charge of politics."

Why?
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:23 am
@STNGfan,
CE and BCE is just a secular/ acceptable form of dating

people who aren't Christian wouldn't consider AD as the period of time since something didn't occur

separation of church and state belongs in public school so this is good, although not earth moving
Volunteer

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:31 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;20429 wrote:
CE and BCE is just a secular/ acceptable form of dating

people who aren't Christian wouldn't consider AD as the period of time since something didn't occur

separation of church and state belongs in public school so this is good, although not earth moving

Christian Era (CE) and Before Christian Era (BCE)? Cool!
Drnaline

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:46 am
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;20411 wrote:
Name politicains who are not bible thumpers, they are far and few between, so looks to me they are in charge.
Drnaline

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:47 am
@Volunteer,
Volunteer;20432 wrote:
Cristian Era (CE) and Before Christian Era (BCE)? Cool!
I can live with that.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:53 am
@STNGfan,
STNGfan;20398 wrote:
American text books are now being printed with timelines as B.C.E before the common era and C.E common era instead of B.C before christ or A.D after death. This is to state the the common era or christain era will not always be here they forsee as with the past many era's to come and go.

Some Christians are very hostile over the change. Thinking it is some attack on chrstianity.

What do you think of the new time line. Other countries such as India, China, Europe all use common era as well does Israel.

I teach world history to high school kids. I explain both systems at the beginning of the year (10th Grade). The kids prefer the old way. Most are Christians.:headbang:
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 09:28 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;20439 wrote:
Name politicains who are not bible thumpers, they are far and few between, so looks to me they are in charge.

Being religious, and believing in god does not make one a biblethumper.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 10:54 am
@STNGfan,
If you are not going to give someone credit for something, like with Jesus's birth and CE/BCE, then do not reckon back to their birth, etc, reckon back to another point in time.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 12:17 pm
@STNGfan,
Common Era - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Volunteer

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 02:57 pm
@rugonnacry,

You make you meaning and I'll make mine. Christian Era (CE) and Before Christian Era (BCE).
0 Replies

vrevans

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 01:51 pm
This seems a silly effort on the part of the "non-believers". They are still using the "Before" and "After" as the time divisor. ?? Before what? and After what?
They may change the name but it still relates to the historical event.
>>> Keep the Christ in Christmas.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2012 03:27 pm
It seems kind of silly and reeks of PC. If your going to change the naming convention but not the time convention then you are being PC. If you want to make a change and not reference religion then we need to change the whole thing. Pick another important reference point in time, and start the calendar from there.
0 Replies