Liberal or Conservative - it matters not

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 03:32 am
Posted herewith for your consideration and comments:

545 PEOPLE
By Charlie Reese

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.

Have you ever wondered why, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, WHY do we have deficits?

Have you ever wondered why, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, WHY do we have inflation and high taxes?

You and I don't propose a federal budget. The president does.

You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does.

You and I don't write the tax code, Congress does.

You and I don't set fiscal policy, Congress does.

You and I don't control monetary policy, the Federal Reserve Bank does.

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president, and nine Supreme Court justices 545 human beings out of the 300 million are directly, legally, morally, and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.

I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered, but private, central bank.

I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason. They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman, or a president to do one cotton-picking thing. I don't care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it. No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator's responsibility to determine how he votes.

Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.

What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall. No normal human being would have the gall of a Speaker, who stood up and criticized the President for creating deficits. The president can only propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept it.

The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving appropriations and taxes. Who is the speaker of the House? She is the leader of the majority party. She and fellow House members, not the president, can approve any budget they want. If the president vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto if they agree to.

It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million can not replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts -- of incompetence and irresponsibility. I can't think of a single domestic problem that is not traceable directly to those 545 people. When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise the power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.

If the tax code is unfair, it's because they want it unfair.

If the budget is in the red, it's because they want it in the red.

If the Army & Marines are in IRAQ , it's because they want them in IRAQ .

If they do not receive social security but are on an elite retirement plan not available to the people, it's because they want it that way.
There are no insoluble government problems.

Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power. Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces like 'the economy,' 'inflation,' or 'politics' that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.

Those 545 people, and they alone, are responsible.

They, and they alone, have the power.

They, and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees.
We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess!
Charlie Reese is a former columnist of the Orlando Sentinel Newspaper.
What you do with this article now that you have read it is up to you, though you appear to have several choices.
1. You can send this to everyone in your address book, and hope 'they' do something about it.
2. You can agree to 'vote against' everyone that is currently in office, knowing that the process will take several years.
3. You can decide to 'run for office' yourself and agree to do the job properly.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,576 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Bevo

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 05:14 am
@socalgolfguy,
It is true what the article says.

At this time it is my opinion that most voters have decided that everything is Bush's fault. And they are going to vote (D) in every category because of that.

I guess(D) with unfettered control of the White House and both Houses is going to fix things. They will make it all better.

My question is why did they not do anything till now in the last two years to make it all better?

The president lifted the offshore drilling ban months ago. Neither House lifted a finger on that matter. That is one, just one of many things the Houses could have moved on.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 08:37 am
@socalgolfguy,
I am glad you agree but whether it's a D or an R makes no matter. Neither party will do diddly to fix the big problems - it's what keeps them employed. If they did, they'd be of no further use. All they want is your vote and your taxes and will pander at any lengths to get what they feel is their entitlement as an elected official. As one of them said to me, where else can you hold a job for 4 years without fear of being fired?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:14 am
@socalgolfguy,
Here is the reason we will never escape debt:

money = money + interest

* for every dollar the government borrows from the fed. reserve they must pay it back with interest so as the money supply grows so does national debt. So until money has value other than what the gov. says it has then we will never escape debt. This is the main reason the rich/poor gap is growing so rapidly.
Bevo

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:33 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
I hate to bring religeon into the subject. But!

My Christian teachings warn against borrowing money time and time again. I am just saying that I believe it is a bad thing. And my teachings from youth is where I get that . I think my teachers knew what they were talking about.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:44 am
@Bevo,
Bevo;61031 wrote:
I hate to bring religeon into the subject. But!

My Christian teachings warn against borrowing money time and time again. I am just saying that I believe it is a bad thing. And my teachings from youth is where I get that . I think my teachers knew what they were talking about.

I too am wary of borrowing money, but i fear the time will come when it will become almost required to borrow money to sustain a modest standard of living.
0 Replies

Bevo

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 12:27 pm
@socalgolfguy,
I want to reiterate my disgust with the legislature on the matter of offshore drilling. Also want to point out my disgust with the American car dealers on the matter of not providing a good option on alternative fuels.

Don't,,,I said don't say a word. GM removed a battery powered vehicle from market a few years ago the American consumer had produced a two month waiting list for.

Why did that happen?

Americans have been thinking energy independence for years. For some reason the government and the car makers have been adverse to that .

I ask why?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 05:48 am
@Bevo,
Bevo;61039 wrote:
I want to reiterate my disgust with the legislature on the matter of offshore drilling. Also want to point out my disgust with the American car dealers on the matter of not providing a good option on alternative fuels.

Don't,,,I said don't say a word. GM removed a battery powered vehicle from market a few years ago the American consumer had produced a two month waiting list for.

Why did that happen?

Americans have been thinking energy independence for years. For some reason the government and the car makers have been adverse to that .

I ask why?

money.
socalgolfguy

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 06:03 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;61111 wrote:
money.

Money is at the root of every decision but that terse response is too simple an answer for such a complicated problem. I would ask our Michigan Mod to do something truly proactive and contact his congressman and state senator and demand an answer. I would be interested to learn how they waggle their way out of this. I suspect because they have no regard for their constituents they will not reply at all.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 06:36 am
@socalgolfguy,
The congress men and women of this state are too sympathetic of car manufacturers because they have been the basis of our economy for so long, now we are seeing the consequences of that as our economy deteriorates.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 06:43 am
@socalgolfguy,
Sympathetic, as they should be. That still does not give them the right to thwart progress. Get on their collective asses. Make us all proud.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 06:45 am
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;61125 wrote:
Sympathetic, as they should be. That still does not give them the right to thwart progress. Get on their collective asses. Make us all proud.

A man can only try, but i don't expect them to listen to a young lad like myself.
socalgolfguy

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 06:51 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;61127 wrote:
A man can only try, but i don't expect them to listen to a young lad like myself.

If not you, then who? I went after my congressman for using his influence to purchase several real estate parcels located in the path of future progress in our city. Along with several others, we created quite a firestorm. It did not fix anything but we embarrassed the crap out of him and felt better - empowered by voicing our opinions.

I say go for it - and keep us up to speed. Be OUR advocate against corruption.
Bevo

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 06:59 am
@socalgolfguy,
What realy needs to happen is all of us go down the ballot on Nov. 4 and vote out any incumbent on that ballot.
socalgolfguy

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 07:04 am
@Bevo,
Bevo;61136 wrote:
What realy needs to happen is all of us go down the ballot on Nov. 4 and vote out any incumbent on that ballot.

Bev - you're quite a guy. I hope everyone in this forum takes your advice.
Bevo

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 07:22 am
@socalgolfguy,
Check this out, I just went and looked at new cars. You know that Ford does not offer a CNG vehicle at all. They said it was because the government does not want them too.
socalgolfguy

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 08:14 am
@Bevo,
Bevo;61148 wrote:
Check this out, I just went and looked at new cars. You know that Ford does not offer a CNG vehicle at all. They said it was because the government does not want them too.

Although absurd, not surprising. In Los Angeles, several buses run on CNG as well as some small to mid-sized government vehicles. I think the fear is that some drunk will crash into someone also driving a CNG car and cause this great "Bruce Willis disaster film" explosion. Gimme a break.
0 Replies

Whatever cv

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 09:40 am
@Bevo,
Bevo;61136 wrote:

BINGO!!!!
0 Replies

Bella cv

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 09:44 am
@Bevo,
Bevo;61136 wrote:

Amen!
Musky Hunter

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 07:31 pm
@Bella cv,
Bella;61171 wrote:
Amen!

:thumbup:
0 Replies