Aliens (the space ship kind)

Drakej

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 04:51 pm
@rugonnacry,
You forget though, Earth is there with its magnetic field as well as the moon. Not traveling through space with nothing but a few sheets of aluminum foil. Also I am pretty sure most of these guys at NASA may possibly know what they are talking about to some degree. There are many many reasons why we have not tried to visit Mars yet. Radiation just being a small piece of the puzzle.
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 12:28 pm
@Drakej,
Drakej;48624 wrote:
Eh that is not totally true. They may be past the point of war viewing it as a waste of resources. Or maybe they learned to travel billions of light years just to rain down whoop ass all over the universe. That is also a possibility haha.

If a species is going to find us, I doubt they're gonna travel the distance of the known universe to get here. The Andromeda Galaxy is only 2 or so million lightyears away, and that's the closest spiral galaxy to us.

We know there are other solar systems out there that are 20 to 200 lightyears away.

Fatal_Freedoms wrote:
as I showed above, we simply don't have the technology to let someone even survive a trip to pluto, let alone a planet with intelligent life.

Why would you send a manned mission to Pluto? Granted we do not have the required technology for such a trip, but lemme tell ya... it's COLD on Pluto. The landing thrusters we use to set a craft down on a planet would probably cut through a good part of the surface almost instantly. Sort of like using a cutting torch on an icecube.

I remember reading something along the lines of... "If we were to sit a brick at room temperature on the surface of Triton, it would bury itself 20 feet down before stopping just because of the intense heat (compared to Triton's mean temp).
Sabz5150

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 12:30 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;48706 wrote:
Again if we had not just decided to go to the moon, we would never have gone that does not mean we are incapable of doing so. in the 70's we sent probes to pluto for christ sake, supply the food and oxygen we could do it with people too...

There would be NO warp mock 8 Scottie... or Beam me Up... It would be generational trip... A family have kids the kids continue the journey... so on.

We did no such thing. No probe has visited Pluto.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 08:14 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;48864 wrote:

Why would you send a manned mission to Pluto?

why would you send a manned mission to Luna (moon)?
Sabz5150

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:00 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;48884 wrote:
why would you send a manned mission to Luna (moon)?

That's easy. Mining, construction, colonization, spaceport, etc.

Also remember that any spacecraft we build to go to Mars and beyond would need to be built in space. The moon with it's 1/6th gravity makes this job rather easy.

We don't have a use for Pluto... yet. Still a neat lil planet (YES IT IS A PLANET DAMNIT!!!!!!!!! :p )
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 04:02 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;48865 wrote:
We did no such thing. No probe has visited Pluto.

Umm actually Voyager 2 went past pluto...
Sabz5150

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 04:05 pm
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;48943 wrote:
Umm actually Voyager 2 went past pluto...

Voyager 2 never made contact with Pluto. Pluto's orbit makes it rather tricky to planet hop. Voyager 2 has passed beyond the orbit of Pluto, but never did it visit that planet.

"Voyager 1 could have visited Pluto, but controllers opted instead for a close flyby of Saturn's moon Titan, which resulted in a trajectory incompatible with a Pluto flyby. Voyager 2 never had a plausible trajectory for reaching Pluto."

Pluto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 04:15 pm
@rugonnacry,
I had to see for myself... It did in fact miss Pluto... Next shot at pluto will be 2015 (not by Voyager)
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 07:57 am
@rugonnacry,
rugonnacry;48948 wrote:
I had to see for myself... It did in fact miss Pluto... Next shot at pluto will be 2015 (not by Voyager)

New Horizons. Fastest probe we've sent.

Pluto's atmospheric density changes. It's odd orbit makes the vast majority of its atmosphere solidify and sublimate as is moves closer to or farther away from the sun.

2015 is the date in which the atmosphere should be at it's most dense before it starts cooling down and solidifying again. Hence the high speed trip. We'll only get about two hours of Pluto pics and vids before it's out of range (Pluto has nowhere near the gravity to slow NH down), then the probe will study the Kupier belt and the outer reaches of the solar system. It'll pass the Voyagers "shortly" afterwards.
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:08 am
@rugonnacry,
Another neat tidbit about Pluto has to do with it's largest moon, Charon. The length of Pluto's day is the exact same as Charon's orbit period. It, like our moon, always presents the same face to its parent planet. Unlike our planet, Pluto shows the same face to Charon.

What's REAL neat is that Charon orbits over Pluto's equator. This means that, relative to Pluto, Charon never moves. it is always in the same place, it shows the same face to Pluto, half the planet never sees the moon, the other half always sees it in the exact same place.

With Pluto's odd orbit around the sun and Charon's odd orbit around Pluto... Charon has 42 lunar phases.
0 Replies

I Understand

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 10:07 am
@rugonnacry,
The chairman of Lockheed Martin in the 90's said that we now have the technology to follow ET home. I personally thing we do. My studies into alternative energy and breakthroughs in physics make me believe so too.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 02:19 pm
@I Understand,
I Understand;49116 wrote:
The chairman of Lockheed Martin in the 90's said that we now have the technology to follow ET home. I personally thing we do. My studies into alternative energy and breakthroughs in physics make me believe so too.

There we a lot of things said in the 90's that aren't true.

with current technology we cannot go a great distance in any reasonable amount of time, that may change and probably will, but based on current technology following ET home is quite unreasonable.
0 Replies