Success: Self Made or Advantaged

Skye cv

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 07:14 pm
@socalgolfguy,
SoCal

That last bit about your idea of sweet success was what attracted me to the U.S. in the first place.

The people here (not all but many) own their lives and take on the responsibility for how their lives play out. People love to ponder on possibilities.

It hit me like a ton of bricks when I moved here the difference in waiting for the government to 'do' whatever and how the people here are used to making things happen on an individual basis.

It's the code for the success of this nation - and we talk about it all the time because is it so much ingrained in us - to take on our futures and dreams with the willingness to turn the dreams into reality. We are our own creators.
0 Replies

DurtySanches

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2008 07:59 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;50487 wrote:
No one is born successful. Each of us is given a bag of tools and do with them what we choose, rich or poor. Some build castles, others sit on their ass and do nothing.

I take comments about silver spooned kids personally. My kids had cars and toys growing up but they also had to earn good grades and be an example of good behavior as representatives of our family. Today they are all college educated and have solid career paths and great marriages.

The only definition of success that means anything to me is having the financial freedom to do as I wish, when I wish and to not be responsible to a boss or a board for any of my actions. It is the freedom to whatever I feel whenever I want. I presume you want that also. I know you want that for your kids.
Hoorah!!!
Curmudgeon

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 05:35 am
@DurtySanches,
A cool million, huh?
I am old enough to be relatively free of debt for three reasons;
1. I never have had much money, nor desires for things before I could afford them.
2. I have a wife that manages our money quite well.
3. My two offspring did not grow up wanting every new thing that came along.

If I had the million, I think I would split it in thirds. 1/3 would be in the bank mostly as CDs, 1/3 would be again split in 3 parts, all invested in stocks, bonds, and futures, and the other 1/3 would be gifted to my two sons. One of them would gradually blow it all and the other would put it to work and grow it.
socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2008 11:32 am
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon;50550 wrote:
A cool million, huh?
I am old enough to be relatively free of debt for three reasons;
1. I never have had much money, nor desires for things before I could afford them.
2. I have a wife that manages our money quite well.
3. My two offspring did not grow up wanting every new thing that came along.

If I had the million, I think I would split it in thirds. 1/3 would be in the bank mostly as CDs, 1/3 would be again split in 3 parts, all invested in stocks, bonds, and futures, and the other 1/3 would be gifted to my two sons. One of them would gradually blow it all and the other would put it to work and grow it.

Curmy, you are a fine gentleman and worthy of all of our admiration.
0 Replies