Sim of 9/11 Has Some Answers

Skye cv

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 09:45 am
Simulation finds 9/11 fireproofing key
By STEVE HERMAN, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 54 minutes ago

INDIANAPOLIS - A computer simulation of the 2001 World Trade Center attacks supports a federal agency's findings that the initial impact from the hijacked airplanes stripped away crucial fireproofing material and that the weakened towers collapsed under their own weight.

The two-year Purdue University study, funded in part by the National Science Foundation, was the first to use 3-D animation to provide visual context to the attacks, said Christoph Hoffmann, a professor of computer science and one of the lead researchers on the project.

"One thing it does point out... is the absolute essential nature of fireproofing steel structures," Hoffmann told The Associated Press. "This is something that wasn't done originally in the World Trade Center when it was built. It wasn't code at that time."

Mete Sozen, a professor of structural engineering and a lead investigator on the simulation, said Purdue researchers hope their work leads to better structural design and building codes to prevent similar collapses.

"In the unfortunate development that we shall have to design structures to survive such events, the methods we have developed and will be developing will be of great use to designers," Sozen said.

The animation, intended in part to help engineers design safer buildings, begins with a map of lower Manhattan as it appeared on Sept. 11, 2001. The video then shows a plane slicing through several stories of the World Trade Center's north tower and follows the disintegrating plane through the interior and out the opposite side.

The report concludes that the weight of the aircraft's fuel, when ignited, produced "a flash flood of flaming liquid" that knocked out a number of structural columns within the building and removed the fireproofing insulation from other support structures, Hoffmann said.

The simulation also found that the airplane's metal skin peeled away shortly after impact and shows how the titanium jet engine shafts flew through the building like bullets.

Ayhan Irfanoglu, a Purdue professor of civil engineering, said half of the building's weight-bearing columns were concentrated at the cores of the towers.

"When that part is wiped out, the structure comes down," Irfanoglu said. "We design structures with some extra capacity to cover some uncertainties, but we never anticipate such heavy demand coming from an aircraft impact. If the columns were distributed, maybe, the fire could not take them out so easily."

A 2005 report following a three-year investigation by the National Institute of Standards and Technology, a federal engineering agency, recommended that cities raise fire standards for skyscrapers and develop new materials that can better protect tall buildings from fire. That analysis did not blame the collapse on the steel or design of the towers, but instead focused on the damage to the fireproofing.

Shyam Sunder, the lead NIST investigator, said he was aware of the Purdue study and called it and his own agency's study "among probably the most prominent analyses that have been conducted in the United States."

The animation is the latest project by the Purdue team to assess the structural damage from the Sept. 11 attacks. The team also studied the impact of the crash into the Pentagon.
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,758 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Reagaknight

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 11:45 am
@Skye cv,
All these freaking 9/11 conspiracy theories! Are you trying to say that it wasn't a government plot?!?!
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 11:57 am
@Skye cv,
I fear that the truth will become so convoluted that it will be lost much like the truth surrounding the assassination of JFK.
0 Replies

Red cv

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 09:28 am
@Skye cv,
I don't think the Tin Foilers care what the truth is, their twisted little minds want the Bush government to be guilty thus it is. For the life of me I don't understand how the Tin Foilers could think the US government would kill 3000 innocents or the planes were empty. They can't seem to get it through their pee brains that "REAL people" died that day, not crash test dummies. They seem to think that Bush has the passengers hiding in barns in the middle of no where. I can only shake my head, all one needs to do is turn on the puter and bring up a english Middle Eastern Newspaper to see how much they hate us.
Silverchild79

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 09:44 am
@Skye cv,
It's good that they are looking into this. Not that I buy Rosie, but this should go a long way in shutting up some of the more rational conspiracy people (yes I know that's an oxymoron)

but nothing short of a Ham Sandwich will shut up Rosie
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 12:24 pm
@Skye cv,
Quote:
but nothing short of a Ham Sandwich will shut up Rosie

LOL...
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 12:46 pm
@Red cv,
Red;22500 wrote:
For the life of me I don't understand how the Tin Foilers could think the US government would kill 3000 innocents or the planes were empty. They can't seem to get it through their pee brains that "REAL people" died that day, not crash test dummies.

Whether the government did it, or knew it was going to happen and did nothing, or whether it was all Binny and Islamoshortguy, if you think that 6500+ American lives means anything to the investors in the most lucrative war ever, you are plain ignorant.
socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 01:00 pm
@Skye cv,
92b - if you think 6500+ lives meant nothing to them, then you, sir are misguided. I am one of those investors. I can positively say that, to a man, every person I know was profoundly affected by 9/11. Do not make me one of your targets, sir. I am not the enemy.
92b16vx

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 01:26 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;22580 wrote:
92b - if you think 6500+ lives meant nothing to them, then you, sir are misguided. I am one of those investors. I can positively say that, to a man, every person I know was profoundly affected by 9/11. Do not make me one of your targets, sir. I am not the enemy.

Really? You're in Iraq making billions? Sweet, glad you care. And exactly how are you invested in the Iraqi war?
One Man Clan

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 01:30 pm
@Skye cv,
Certainly the most insane claim to come from the Truthers is that a missile hit the Pentagon.

That one is so easily debunked.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 01:54 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;22575 wrote:
Whether the government did it, or knew it was going to happen and did nothing, or whether it was all Binny and Islamoshortguy, if you think that 6500+ American lives means anything to the investors in the most lucrative war ever, you are plain ignorant.
Puppet anyone?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 01:56 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;22584 wrote:
Really? You're in Iraq making billions? Sweet, glad you care. And exactly how are you invested in the Iraqi war?

Tax dollars baby, you know the ones that paid your salary and combat pay, while you were on our dime stealing oil?
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 02:01 pm
@Skye cv,
Oh look everyone, it's Mr. Ad Hominem!!! comment deleted by admin
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 02:33 pm
@Skye cv,
Still enjoying those veteran benifits, say thank you. Getting vulgar and all emo again i see?
92b16vx

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 02:43 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;22616 wrote:
Still enjoying those veteran benifits, say thank you. Getting vulgar and all emo again i see?

Haha, I see you are using your admin powers to hide the truth, typical of someone like you.
Drnaline

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 02:47 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;22619 wrote:
Haha, I see you are using your admin powers to hide the truth, typical of someone like you.
How so? I expect you to back up your claim, this one might cost you.
Reagaknight

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 02:49 pm
@Skye cv,
Last edited by Silverchild79 : Today at 04:08 PM.

Wasn't him.
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 02:49 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;22621 wrote:
How so? I expect you to back up your claim, this one might cost you.

Cost me what? Another lap OH NOES!!!! Not more lap talk from you!!!! HAHAHA You're a joke.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 03:13 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;22619 wrote:

I did it and you and some other people on this board need to calm down with the direct personal attacks or we'll be doing some early summer spring cleaning.

I'm sick of reading people respond to debates with personal attacks

This is directed at everybody

if you have nothing to back it up, state it as opinion. If your argument is foiled taking some radical cop-out by making personal attacks will earn you a first class ticket back to Guest status sooner then later.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 03:15 pm
@Skye cv,
I am also asking cooperation from board members, if you see anything which violates the rules please report it ASAP, we need your help to keep this site debate friendly and not a flame fest
0 Replies