A Tribute to Fathers

Skye cv

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 09:54 am
Pertinent to this day being Father's Day - thought it a nice piece

The 10 Paradoxes of Fatherhood
National Catholic Register ^ | 06.17.07 | Donald DeMarco

There is a certain immediacy about motherhood that cannot be said of fatherhood. Nature goes a long way in helping a mother know what it means to be a mother. Ovulation, pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and breast feeding are natural and immediate experiences that teach a mother a great deal about the meaning of her motherhood.

Motherhood is eminent, but fatherhood is transcendent. Fatherhood means being:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 829 • Replies: 7
No top replies

missdixy

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 11:33 am
@Skye cv,
Wow. That sure as hell makes being a father sound like hard work.

....enough to make any man become an alcoholic :alcoholic:

:p
0 Replies

Mad as Hell in NC

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 06:11 pm
@Skye cv,
A father is also someone who has pictures in his wallet where there was once money !!

Mad
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 08:46 am
@Skye cv,
I have no children, but i definately had a hand in raising a few. Made me feel good when my little brother called me yesterday to wish me a happy fathers day, I told him i had no children and he said oh yes you do. Sucker made me cry. I'm of the firm opinion that you don't have to have children to be a father. For not having kids i take it serious.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 02:58 pm
@Skye cv,
Skye, Red and MissDixy - Don't beat me up, I just want to make a point.
Sure, it's tough being a father. I think sometimes, it's just as tough just being a man. If you assert yourself in front of women you're called an animal. If you are too gentile, they think you are weak. If you're good at your job, the young ones coming up call you arrogant. If you are not forceful, you are pushed around. If you fail to hold a door for a lady, you're rude but how often does a woman hold a door for a man? If a man tried to cut in line at the bank I'd tell him to move his ass. If a woman gives you a polite glance, she is forgiven and allowed to cut in. A female horse wins the Preakness and shouts of GO GIRL go up. A man, certainly not a gentleman, would say likewise if a male horse won. TV commercials portray men as doofuses and women as the smart sex that can do and have it all. All I want is a little respect. Do not poke fun at someone for a cheap laugh. Do not attack someone to please someone else. Lastly, good child rearing is hereditary - you get it from your kids. Fortunately, my wife and kids think I am the greatest dad going. I must have done something right.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 10:20 am
@Skye cv,
Quote:
I must have done something right.
You must off.
0 Replies

Skye cv

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 11:11 am
@Skye cv,
Good Post SoCal - I resent the way males are portrayed these days as idiot fools who are cash cows and nothing else in a family. The male dominant figure in a home - demonstrating good parenting is extremely important in the formation of healthy individuals both male and female...there is a delicate place in the balance and to attain the best within a family both gender roles should be represented fairly.

You wrote:
Quote:
Fortunately, my wife and kids think I am the greatest dad going. I must have done something right.

Yes you must be doing something right - and if your wife and children believe this to be true - there is nobody else to prove yourself to. They are the goal.

It isn't an easy job these days - I tip my hat to anyone parent who can fulfill the role and still be loved.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 11:23 am
@Skye cv,
Hear, hear.
0 Replies