Father's Day

Skye cv

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 12:00 pm
For all the fathers, stepfathers, grandfathers, surrogate fathers.... enjoy your day.

http://img.heartlight.org/cards/g/hfd-low.jpg

Any stories to share about dads?

My first memory was dancing with my dad who looked like a skyscraper from my low vantage point - he was 6'3" and I was standing on his feet 'dancing' with him to some corny music. I thought I would never grow up tall enough to look him in the eye one day. Short by a foot but it never mattered anyway. He always leaned down to listen.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 728 • Replies: 13
No top replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 03:42 pm
@Skye cv,
Skye - as a kid on fathers day, we went to my grandparents and played baseball in the dirt lot next to their house while my parents, aunts and uncles played poker and got loaded. The evening would end with a big dinner and some kind of family fight. What fun.
Skye cv

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 03:50 pm
@Skye cv,
SoCal... Nice memories in your post...

I'm breaking from being glued to the USOpen when I should be packing but my A/C quit this morning (so I have an excuse) and the fixit guy just left richer than he should be haha....

I have a feeling we are in a peer group -without getting personal and demanding ages - your post reminded me what a great kid-hood we probably had compared with organized play dates and i-Pod parties or whatever kids do between sleeps these days. Doesn't sound like much fun to me....

Way too organized and 'secure'.

If I didn't have a knot on my head or a scrape on my elbow or knee - the day was probably a bore. Toys were cardboard boxes, stones and cans made great game pieces.... stolen neighbor's fruit was lunch.... so many good times.
Dress up was really creative - not something already constructed in a costume shop and Hallowe'en was terrifying....in a silly way. Terror was laughing at my auntie who tried to go blonde and ended up green..... boy did I catch it for that!

Your memory sounds absolutely wonderful.... I think we were probably much luckier than the kids these days for all their gadgets and gizmos.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 05:57 pm
@Skye cv,
I have another one for you. My little brother was always the cute one. On one visit while my folks were unloading the trunk of the car, my grandfather was cooing over him so much that I grabbed a tire iron from the trunk and smacked it across my grandpa's shins. Ran like hell to my mom for protection. She laughed so hard at my grandfather - told him to pay attention and not to ignore me again. I was about 4 or 5 at the time.
0 Replies

Skye cv

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 06:44 pm
@Skye cv,
Yup - you should go in for politics

I'd vote for you - you are right up front with your opinions.... poor Grandpa!!

Hope your brother has turned into your best friend now...
Red cv

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 07:29 pm
@Skye cv,
LOL what an evil child Socal was, horns no doubt.

Father's Day for me always included a party at the beach. Clam bakes and if the weather was bad Dad would cook up a feast for his six children and their families. He loved to cook, in fact he could of cooked an old boot and it would of tasted great. Sadly I lost him a few years ago, so tomorrow will be difficult. Happy Father's Day to all you Dads, they stay young for such a short time enjoy them while you can.
0 Replies

missdixy

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 11:29 am
@Skye cv,
My parents have been separated as long as I can remember and I don't see my father much at all. He comes around now & then to check up but I don't even know where he lives, what he does, etc.

Anyway, when I was younger I used to buy my mom flowers on father's day haha. Now the day just goes by like any other normal day.

The earliest memory I have of my father though is him taking me to the Pre-K bus on my first day of school.
socalgolfguy

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2007 01:14 pm
@Skye cv,
Skye;21570 wrote:
Yup - you should go in for politics

I'd vote for you - you are right up front with your opinions.... poor Grandpa!!

Hope your brother has turned into your best friend now...

Bro and I are very close....I still have all my hair and teeth and poor Jeffrey has lost most of both....
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 08:58 am
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;21551 wrote:
Skye - as a kid on fathers day, we went to my grandparents and played baseball in the dirt lot next to their house while my parents, aunts and uncles played poker and got loaded. The evening would end with a big dinner and some kind of family fight. What fun.
Sounds like my family, LOL.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 09:15 am
@missdixy,
missdixy;21662 wrote:
My parents have been separated as long as I can remember and I don't see my father much at all. He comes around now & then to check up but I don't even know where he lives, what he does, etc.

Anyway, when I was younger I used to buy my mom flowers on father's day haha. Now the day just goes by like any other normal day.

The earliest memory I have of my father though is him taking me to the Pre-K bus on my first day of school.
Sorry to hear that, not all fathers are great.
Silverchild79

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 11:27 am
@Skye cv,
when I was toddlerfied I had a stuffed bear that had a wind up music box in it. I totally dug it, every night before bed my mother/father would wind it up and put me in bed with it.

but one day the music box died. To remedy this my father and I proceeded to conduct "open bear" surgery to extract the music box and fix it, complete with surgeons masks. I now know that he has little to no mechanical ability but the fact that he tried, and made quite the event out of it, will always be one of my favorite memories.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 11:29 am
@Skye cv,
Nice!!!
0 Replies

missdixy

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 05:54 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;21745 wrote:
Sorry to hear that, not all fathers are great.

Ahh it's all good. Smile
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 09:45 pm
@Skye cv,
I loved my father and miss him terribly. He was a simple man that simply did his job and loved his family. He was a builder, a singer, and a cabinet maker, and he died in 1972 at only 59 years of age.
I have been a father since 1974, with 2 boys, a sort of adopted daughter, and a new daughter-in-law.
Fathers need to be worshipped when they deserve it, and I hope I always deserve it, even in the times of "tough love" that often occur.
0 Replies