Who is this guy??/

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 08:15 pm
John Goodman for safe levees in the USA - Yahoo! Video :wtf:

Who here hates the fact that actors and musicians are used to fool people into believing an agenda? Who here really believes that John Goodman is an architect, capable of deciding what makes a levee safe?:no:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,578 • Replies: 26
No top replies

92b16vx

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 10:00 pm
@trappedbyparties,
trapped.by.parties;15821 wrote:
John Goodman for safe levees in the USA - Yahoo! Video :wtf:

Who here hates the fact that actors and musicians are used to fool people into believing an agenda? Who here really believes that John Goodman is an architect, capable of deciding what makes a levee safe?:no:

I do hate when entertainers push political agendas, I don't see him claiming to be an architect.
trappedbyparties

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 10:27 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;15825 wrote:
I do hate when entertainers push political agendas, I don't see him claiming to be an architect.

He's claiming to know enough to say they are all faulty. By making the commercial he is implying that he would know the diffrence between a safe levee and an unsafe one. This is the problem with rockstars and actors doing promotions like these. they misslead people to thinking they know enough about the subject to make an educated statement. By taking part in the commercial they are just as guilty as the person who is paying for them to speak on the subject. When in reality they most likely know nothing about it. I have no personal experiance with levees or dams, wich is why i would never talk down our chore of engineers about the way they were built or designed. Now streets and roads, that is a different story. For me anyways.
92b16vx

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 01:10 am
@trappedbyparties,
trapped.by.parties;15829 wrote:
He's claiming to know enough to say they are all faulty. By making the commercial he is implying that he would know the diffrence between a safe levee and an unsafe one.

I think you are just looking for something to complain about, because he doesn't say anything like that.
Pinochet73

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 04:56 am
@trappedbyparties,
Actors are merely exploiting their fame. They should be ignored.
Drnaline

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 07:42 am
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;15830 wrote:
I think you are just looking for something to complain about, because he doesn't say anything like that.
I think that is why this site is called a dicussion/debate forum. Well suited for dealing with complaints.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 07:56 am
@trappedbyparties,
Plenty of celebrities have a cause, at least he's trying to increase public safety and not spending his free time demanding that various political figures step down.

I volunteer at the boys and girls club and I'm not a parent, does that make me not qualified?
Drnaline

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 08:15 am
@trappedbyparties,
You don't need kids to be a parent. I raised two young brothers who i am senior to by twenty years. They too view me as a sort of surrogate father.
0 Replies

trappedbyparties

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 08:54 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;15848 wrote:
Plenty of celebrities have a cause, at least he's trying to increase public safety and not spending his free time demanding that various political figures step down.

I volunteer at the boys and girls club and I'm not a parent, does that make me not qualified?

Well as for you, you are not getting payed for this. John Goodman probably is. It's funny that thier causes come with a price. These are what we call special intrest groups. He is behind a cause that he does not understand. All he knows is what someone told him. Again how can you back a cause you know nothing about. That would be like a blind man asking you if you see what he see's. It would be like me trying to tell you how to work on airplanes. And as formaly mentioned you don't have to be a parent to know how to be a mentor. You were a child once and you know how children feel and what children need. You know right from wrong. To me a perent is more of a guiding light. You don't have to be a childs parent to guide them. I was guided more by an older friend than i was my parents. He treated me like a son or little brother. To sum this ramble, Anyone can be a mentor but only people educated and experianced in architecture can be an architect. Not to downplay what you do....i think people who mentor children are amazing. By my own experiances with th boys and girls club children that were in my school. Those kids need a good loving mentor. They very seldom get it from thier parents.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 12:35 pm
@trappedbyparties,
Anything for a buck whether you know WTF you're talking about or not. Maybe he likens himself to the kid in the fable that got his finger stuck in a dike...
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 02:11 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;15835 wrote:
Actors are merely exploiting their fame. They should be ignored.

Should Reagan have been ignored? He was an actor.
Pinochet73

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 02:31 pm
@trappedbyparties,
As an actor, probably.
0 Replies

trappedbyparties

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 10:18 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;16741 wrote:
Should Reagan have been ignored? He was an actor.

And arnold....well that is obvious!
Reagaknight

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 07:49 am
@trappedbyparties,
Whether you're a liberal or not, you're stupid if you think Reagan's legacy is to be ignored.
Drnaline

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 08:13 am
@trappedbyparties,
While i think he was a great actor, I think he was a greater President. In personal opinion every aspect of him can be ignored, does not make you stupid.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 08:16 am
@trappedbyparties,
You really can't ignore what he did when talking about America, whether you're talking about tax cuts or national debt, it's hard not to go back to Reagan.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 10:05 am
@trappedbyparties,
I agree, but saying some one is stupid if they chose not too, is abit of a streatch.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 02:23 pm
@trappedbyparties,
Ignorant of what he did? That applies perfectly and equals stupid to me, if you insist on talking about politics.
Pinochet73

Reply Sun 20 May, 2007 08:02 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;16833 wrote:
Whether you're a liberal or not, you're stupid if you think Reagan's legacy is to be ignored.

C'mon now. Of course. I'm talking about actor-activists in general, not those who cross over into serious politics. :bunny:
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 02:06 pm
@trappedbyparties,
Well, as an actor, he was pretty much B-class, he could hardly make anything happen.
0 Replies