Gator Tasered

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 09:43 am
MyFox New York | Campus Police Subdue Student at John Kerry Event

I'm sick of seeing these non news items. Yeah it looks horrible, a college kid getting tased, and there's even a staged rally today to support him. This is exactly what I'm referring to when I talk about uneducated people involved in convenience logic.

The Facts:

This was a structured meeting with Senator Kerry, as such time limited are given to those asking questions, just like in the debates

The kid got to ask a question

His time elapsed

Karry granted him more time

it elapsed again, he still hadn't asked his question (he was telling Kerry about some book)

After he elapsed his time for the second time he refused to stand down

They cut his mic off

he still refuses to quit talking

Police, enforcing the rules of the meeting remove him from the stand (their only other option is to throw the rules of the meeting out the window and in a political forum this just isn't possible because the whole even becomes a chaotic screaming match)

Speaking of Chaotic screaming matches, the kid starts forcibly evading police officers while says "I'm not resisting, leave me alone".

Police get control of him, sorta, he's still resisting. He says "just let me up and I'll walk out of here" (which isn't possible, once the police take control of you they don't give it up until the situation is resolved, that's policy and the kid should know that)

the kid continues to struggle, the police warn him to stop or they'll taser him, the kid says "don't taser me man" but refuses to stop resisting

The cops, using the taser in it's appropriate manner "to decrease resistance" taser him

The police had no choice, the event had to follow the rules of engagement, the kid refuses to follow them so he had to be removed. Then he resisted. The police's only other option was to let the kid go on thus bringing the meeting to a screeching halt...

The kid knew the rules and broke them, and you don't resist police, in fact you can't legally do it even if you're "just talking". A witness said that the Police initiated physical contact (which wasn't in debate) but that the kid was generally "a heckler"

and before anybody says he was silenced because he said anti Bush stuff remember, he was given twice as much time as anybody else...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 641 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 04:43 pm
@Silverchild79,
Guy had it coming.
Freeman15

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 09:51 pm
@Drnaline,
Speaking for San Antonio, our cops are only allowed to use tasers if the suspect is a danger to the officers or others. It's an alternative to the pistol or asp.

I'm concerned with the fact that everybody just jumped behind the cops here. Question authority, and always give the benefit of the doubt to the suspect, since cops have a greater potential to abuse others.

I read about this, I also saw the tape of this skinny kid surrounded by four cops, one of which was quite large. Taser wasn't necessary, and these cops demonstrate the dwindling standards in unformed law enforcement. All of them should be fired for incompetence.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 07:48 am
@Silverchild79,
So what should of happened to the perp? Gone free?
Freeman15

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 02:21 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;38272 wrote:
So what should of happened to the perp? Gone free?

What did he do? He was disruptive, so you remove him. He wasn't being placed under arrest, so he can't be charged with resisting arrest, nor can you charge him with inciting a riot, he said no such thing.

Five cops should have EASILY been able to cuff an UNARMED student and remove him. They suck at their jobs, like most uniformed police officers, and so they tasered the guy. Fire all of them, and let the guy off, he didn't commit a crime.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 03:15 pm
@Silverchild79,
he was disruptive, the police were ordered by Kerry's/the Universities people to remove him. He was kicking and swinging, in fact one of the officers got checked out after the incident

you are not allowed to legally resist the police, it doesn't matter if he's "bigger then you" he has the right to tase you

the fact of the matter is that the people who support this kid just have no concept of the law, procedure, or how a taser is to be used

a Taser in law enforcement is used to decrease resistance

the kid was wrestling with the police trying to hold him down, he was kicking at them, they asked him to roll over and put his hands behind his back, he resisted and continued to kick at the police

they tased him, he stopped resisting

they did their job perfectly, if you fault anybody fault the officials for ordering the police to do it, the cops didn't act until ordered, and they did their job.

now innocent police are suspended because "it looked bad"

if the public were educated enough to know what they were actually looking at this would be a non issue
Freeman15

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 10:50 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;38346 wrote:
he was disruptive, the police were ordered by Kerry's/the Universities people to remove him. He was kicking and swinging, in fact one of the officers got checked out after the incident

you are not allowed to legally resist the police, it doesn't matter if he's "bigger then you" he has the right to tase you

the fact of the matter is that the people who support this kid just have no concept of the law, procedure, or how a taser is to be used

a Taser in law enforcement is used to decrease resistance

the kid was wrestling with the police trying to hold him down, he was kicking at them, they asked him to roll over and put his hands behind his back, he resisted and continued to kick at the police

they tased him, he stopped resisting

they did their job perfectly, if you fault anybody fault the officials for ordering the police to do it, the cops didn't act until ordered, and they did their job.

now innocent police are suspended because "it looked bad"

if the public were educated enough to know what they were actually looking at this would be a non issue

FIVE cops can't get ONE kid out of an auditorium. They should be fired for incompetence.

Again, speaking only for San Antonio PD, I know for a fact that their tasers can only be used if a suspect poses physical harm to himself, another person, or the officer. I watched the video, the kid wasn't swinging or kicking at them, he was pulling away. He was "arrested" after the fact so that they could slap the resisting charge on him. If five cops can't get one collge kid out of an auditorium without using their weapons (a taser is a weapon boys and girls), then we have serious problems with the training of uniformed police officers.

I do blame the cops, and I support the guy who got tased, despite him being a complete asshole. He has convictions, he stood up for them, and he wouldn't allow an authority figure to hold him down. Just because they wear a badge doesn't mean they can abuse you, and that's what happened here, abuse. Fire the cops, drop the charges, and move on.
0 Replies