The Iraq War: By The Numbers

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 09:05 pm
How do we get our information about the Iraq war? Well we get it from the media, a place that makes it's money off of ratings, sensationalizing even the most minor story until the proverbial mountain has been made out of the ant hill.

Success in war is measured by two things historically: control of land and victory in battle. The oddity concerning the current conflict is that we're dominating on both fronts and we still aren't happy with where we are. But why?

Well everywhere you turn all you hear about is all the death going on in this war. Well if that's why we're unhappy with the way things are going in Iraq let's look at the death toll, and let's do it by the numbers only.

But first I'll preface

The Vietnam War

A conflict more unpopular then the current struggle in Iraq. This war:

Lasted 3,923 days (gulf of Tonkin till the final helicopter took off)
Had 58,209 American Deaths (btw all numbers are from wiki)

well, that's an average of 14.84 dead Americans everyday. It's not the kind of death toll we get daily on our highways, but it's pretty bad.

Now let's look at a war that was "worth it", perhaps the most noble war America has ever fought on foreign soil.

WWII

This war was fought for two reasons. First Japan attacked us, pretty good reason. Secondly it was fought to free Europe from the grasp of Hitler and stop a Jewish holocaust (for those who need it spelled out Saddam also imposed himself on his neighbors and committed genocide). We didn't need WMD to go to war with Germany, we didn't need Al Qaeda. Tyranny and genocide were enough for the US in the "good old days" and we saw it through until the end. And by the numbers?

1346 Days (from Pearl Harbor to VJ day)
418,500 Dead (yeah you heard me right)

In this just war we suffered American death at a rate of 310.92 per day! Every day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year my graduation class multiplied by one and one third died. Now ladies and gentlemen that's a price to pay! And not only did we pay it but homemakers worked in factories and people grew their of vegetables in their yard to do it! Nobody liked the war, but they were in it to win it!

The Iraq War

And now the moment you've been waiting for

1,575 Days (invasion to today)
3,611 Americans Dead

while the war isn't over that's good enough to establish a deaths per day average. And it comes in at a whopping total of 2.29 people a day.

That's right America, we lose more Americans to Abortion (2,340/day in 2003 according to the Center for Disease Control) then we lose in our horrible little conflict (which is BTW fighting Al Qaeda).

You wanna talk civilian casualties? Let's go back to WWII

What if I told you that 50% of all WWII deaths were Allied civilians?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5e/WorldWarII-DeathsByAlliance-Piechart.png/240px-WorldWarII-DeathsByAlliance-Piechart.png

not only that but 8/10 deaths period were Allied!

The fact is the while every last American life is dearly important to us all, the price we are currently paying to combat terrorist radical Islamic forces in Iraq is negligible by historical standards. In fact, it's not even an average month in WWII (9000+)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,177 • Replies: 37
No top replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 07:13 am
@Silverchild79,
I read some where that we still lose more soldiers to working and traffic accidents then we do in this conflict.
Libs don't mind fighting the war on the unborn.
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 08:03 am
@Silverchild79,
Well shucks I guess all those soldiers really mean nothing because we didn't get enough of them killed.

You are disgusting.
Silverchild79

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 09:29 am
@92b16vx,
Silverchild79;26241 wrote:
The fact is the while every last American life is dearly important to us all, the price we are currently paying to combat terrorist radical Islamic forces in Iraq is negligible by historical standards.

92b16vx;26276 wrote:
Well shucks I guess all those soldiers really mean nothing because we didn't get enough of them killed. You are disgusting.

you fail at reading and context
Silverchild79

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 09:49 am
@Silverchild79,
here's another fun fact

With the activities currently ongoing in the Middle East as presented by Senator Lieberman, Iran has now done more militarily against us then Germany did when we declared war on them in WWII.
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:18 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;26282 wrote:

This war fails, and supporting it by trying to explain that not enough have died to make it no longer worthwhile fails. You can lament about the loses, and then compare them to historical numbers as "not as bad is it could be" all you want, it is still a failure. We moved a faceless enemy around, all the while fanning the flames of anti-American sentiment, trying to spread democracy to an area that neither wants it, nor has the social, or economic stability/comprehension to live in it.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 04:50 pm
@Silverchild79,
Here's the only figure you need to ponder: 0. That's the percentage chance the U.S. has of getting out of Iraq anytime soon. Point? None of the rest matters. The details don't matter.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 04:51 pm
@Silverchild79,
in war details always matter the point of the thread was to allow Americans to see the war within it's military context rather then the sensational way it's portrayed through the media.
Pinochet73

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 05:23 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;26370 wrote:
in war details always matter the point of the thread was to allow Americans to see the war within it's military context rather then the sensational way it's portrayed through the media.

Okay. I just finished this week's article on the war in TIME, and it didn't seem sensationalized, at all. Army life, politics and leadership issues seemed to be accurately addressed. I don't hear anyone saying we're either winning or losing. It appears to be advertised for what it is -- a protracted counter-insurgency, with no end in sight. It's the way we react to this gruesome reality of counter-guerrilla warfare that makes all the difference. We hate it, because it demands the one thing Americans don't have -- patience.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 07:57 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;26276 wrote:
Well shucks I guess all those soldiers really mean nothing because we didn't get enough of them killed.

You are disgusting.
Discusting , why because i read something?
Drnaline

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 08:00 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;26282 wrote:

He is aware of the context, he don't care. I'm just to discusting, so that means anything i say must be discusting. M&M ain't got nothing on me, LOL.
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 08:02 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;26401 wrote:
Discusting , why because i read something?

Sorry to burst your little bubble, not every post I make is about you, I was refering to teh original post, you posted right before me. You are not important.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 08:07 pm
@Silverchild79,
It helps to quote who your are talking too, but if that's to much for you.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 08:08 pm
@Silverchild79,
One a second note, why do you think Cam is "discusting?"
92b16vx

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 08:13 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;26407 wrote:
One a second note, why do you think Cam is "discusting?"

I think that viewing those that fight for your country as mere numbers is disgusting, and even more so trying to belittle their service and ultimate price paid by saying not enough have donated to the coffer is even more so. And using the excuse not enough have died to make that a viable reason for being aginst the war is just as bad.
Drnaline

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 07:46 am
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;26408 wrote:
I think that viewing those that fight for your country as mere numbers is disgusting, and even more so trying to belittle their service and ultimate price paid by saying not enough have donated to the coffer is even more so. And using the excuse not enough have died to make that a viable reason for being aginst the war is just as bad.
Quote:
I think that viewing those that fight for your country as mere numbers is disgusting,

So now Cam isn't discusting but those who think of such things are? By the way when you joined did they give you a number? Did you memmorize that number. Did you find it discusting to be referenced as a number? Then you must of been discusted with yourself?
Quote:
and even more so trying to belittle their service and ultimate price paid by saying not enough have donated to the coffer is even more so.
Belittle, where? Who said anything about donating, please quote? You sure didn't seem to mind when the American tax payer was donating to your coffer?
Quote:
And using the excuse not enough have died to make that a viable reason for being aginst the war is just as bad
Again please quote where any one said that besides you? Boy this topic gets you all emo heah? So the right you fought so bravely to protect would like to take away from us? If you can't keep emotion out of it maybe you should stay away, it can't be good for your health to be so angry.
I also noticed how you keep handing off the question? First it was me, then Cam, not everybody that reads? Your just discusted with everything arn't you?
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 08:11 am
@Silverchild79,
Jesus, can you at least try to learn to spell? I have said my peice, you require no further response.
Reagaknight

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 08:23 am
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;26414 wrote:
Jesus, can you at least try to learn to spell? I have said my peice, you require no further response.

Funnily enough, you misspelled 'piece.'
Drnaline

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 08:26 am
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;26414 wrote:
Quote:
Jesus, can you at least try to learn to spell?
NO. Unless you'd like to pay me to do so?
Quote:
I have said my peice, you require no further response
I find that hard to believe, you've said that numerous times. Lap25
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 08:28 am
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;26416 wrote:
Funnily enough, you misspelled 'piece.'

Oh the Irony! LOL Next thing he'll say is " I did it on purpose!"<--- in a sqeaky voice