Pinochet73

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 08:33 pm
@briansol,
If some of the students had been armed, many would still be alive.:AR15firing:
0 Replies

rhopper3

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 08:47 pm
@briansol,
Believe it or not I firmly support the second amendment. My house is fairly well supplied...and I hope they fry this idiot
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 11:35 pm
@briansol,
Real crazies in this world . We will probably never learn why he did this .
I heard people calling in to the radio asking why the police didn't shut down the campus after the first incident when he shot two people in a dorm . The head of campus police explained that they thought it was a lone event . The second part of the rampage was two hours later , why must everyone second guess the authorities ?
0 Replies

Dmizer

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 07:38 am
@briansol,
I agree,
It's a College campus not a military base or a prison camp. You have to realize the Majority of College campus's don't have the capacity to deal with terror situations like this. Most of the security guards are not even armed. There is no way to notify all the students of what is going on, they don't have a comprehensive communications system in place. If this guy was a student like they are speculating then he knew the campus and its security very well. He killed at the dorm to create a diversion so as to have more time to do as he pleased at the academic building. Sad thing is, if a reason ever comes to light, I bet it is something to do with his grades or failure to achieve, either way trivial in comparison to a human life.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 07:58 am
@briansol,
Guys name is Cho, he was a student originally from South Korea.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 02:34 pm
@briansol,
This makes you realize that it's stupid to constantly talk about Don Imus and Anna Nicole Smith when there are real people having their lives taken away from them and families that go through all of the emotional stress.
Pinochet73

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 07:22 pm
@briansol,
It's a risk we all take by agreeing to maintain and live in a free society. But chit.......the Democrats are going to assault the Second Amendment like nobody's business. Look out. Here they come.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 02:57 am
@briansol,
It saddens me to see that gun control people have seized on this incident to further erosion of Second Amendment rights , as if this mentally impaired guy would have been stopped by gun laws .
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 10:00 am
@briansol,
If you want an example of how these gun laws don't work, look at Brazil, we have very strict law concerning gun possesion and sales, but still the same day that 33 died at VA tech 26 died just in my city from a shootdown between police men and drug dealers. Actually we have had more casualties this year from guns than the american soldiers in the Iraq war.
0 Replies

Mad as Hell in NC

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2007 06:32 pm
@briansol,
Well here we go again, another tragic school shooting and the gun control crowd is at it again. I believe that anyone that was as determined as this nut was to kill would have done it with or without guns. Remember the worst mass murders in this country were carried out with diesel fuel, fertilizer and box cutters.
My heart goes out to the families of the victims. GO Hoakies !! And to you who are working so hard to have our gun rights taken away. I am afraid that one day you will wish that you had one !!
0 Replies

0Megabyte

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2007 06:09 pm
@briansol,
Eh. I'm not what one would call a gun-control person.

I say, we have a right to own guns. I know I do. (well. Will, when my mother gives finally decides to part with my dead father's old gun.)

I don't care about all the arguements for or against owning guns, all I care about is that I have the freedom to own one if I wish.

Freedom vs. security. I'll go with freedom. *smirks*

I also go with freedom against security when it comes to things like wiretapping, the Patriot act, etc.

Well, at least I try to be consistant with my beliefs, regardless of party line. *shrugs*
0 Replies

chuckc cv

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 12:07 am
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;12969 wrote:
This makes you realize that it's stupid to constantly talk about Don Imus and Anna Nicole Smith when there are real people having their lives taken away from them and families that go through all of the emotional stress.

I completely support responsible journalism. As far as the complexities of the Virginia Tech issue, well...

Gun control, my position:
I believe it is our American right, as provided in the Bill of Rights, to own and carry arms. I do not like guns, I do not own guns. I have never shot a gun, maybe I will go to a shooting range someday, maybe not.

I advocate responsible gun ownership, but who are we penalizing with our gun control laws? Is it really the criminal? Or is it responsible American citizens who even bother to go through the procedure? I would say we penalize the wrong people. I would further speculate that a "criminal" will do whatever is necessary to commit his crime. If they want guns they will get guns because they have no respect for civic law.

So, what is the real issue?

Well, I think maybe our medical industry somehow dropped the ball. If we look at the history of this "confused" individual, maybe we can get some answers.

I do know that he was involuntarily institutionalized at one time in his life. So, there was knowledge of the possibility he would do harm to himself or others. I do not know the time frame between his "stay" and the actual shooting. I would like to know what sort of, if any medication was prescribed to him and what the side effects of said medication was. Maybe he did not take anything and he was just in state of pychosis.

Frankly I do not care, but try look at it from the preparation/prevention perspective. Well, this is America and we cannot guarantee anyone who leaves institutions will follow up with proper care. I would say the shooter was blinded by his Wrath.

Regardless, this is a human tragedy. Innocent lives are lost, that is a crime against humanity.
0 Replies