If Jesus was God ...

chuckc cv

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 05:22 am
@SWORD of GOD,
My sincerest apologies. I will try my best to follow proper procedures, Curmudgeon.

Certainly we cannot agree on all aspects of religion, it is impossible. I do believe we can grow closer to religious tolerance.

I agree that religion is very complicated. But it doesn't have to be.

I would argue: religion gets complicated through man's complex interpretation of religious writings. Defining religious thought simply can lead to religious tolerance.

Yes, there is no universal religion. And what a dull world it would be if there was only one religion.

I am unclear regarding your last statement. Are you saying Catholics support the idea of one religion?
chico

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 05:25 am
@z0z0,
I do not said that, thats the Catholics teaching. Catholics believe that they are universal. Only one doctrines you do not agree if you are a Catholics you cease to be Catholics. It is stated in their catechism.
0 Replies

chico

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 05:33 am
@SWORD of GOD,
chuckc,

No. Universal means all members believe in all the teachings of the church. They all agree to all teachings and doctrines. If you disagree to only one doctrine you cease to be Catholics...
0 Replies

chuckc cv

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 05:46 am
@SWORD of GOD,
Chico

I can see your point.

Still, I don't think you can be excommunicated from the Catholic Church for disagreeing with one of its teachings or doctrines.

Although I think Catholicism is perceived as a elitist sect of Christianity. The 'all or nothing' thought process. I do know that you must be Catholic to receive communion at a Catholic service.
0 Replies

chico

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 06:00 am
@SWORD of GOD,
No one knows if you disagree or not. They are not keen in monitoring their memebers faith.

I or a Muslim can receive communion everyday. Everyone can enter and receive communion if they wish.
z0z0

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 06:01 am
@chuckc cv,
chuckc;13760 wrote:
Yes, there is no universal religion. And what a dull world it would be if there was only one religion.

I am unclear regarding your last statement. Are you saying Catholics support the idea of one religion?

I think that would be the ideal situation. One world with one God with one Religion.
THere is no need for more than one religion if there is only one God.
chuckc cv

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 06:11 am
@z0z0,
z0z0;13766 wrote:
I think that would be the ideal situation. One world with one God with one Religion.
THere is no need for more than one religion if there is only one God.

Perhaps, in concept, yes.

In that, all people would subscribe to one philosophical thought which may lead to cohesion and perhaps a better society.

But as a reality, the single view of the Divine may be too stifling and I would argue that it would lead to the alienation of those who do not believe in any concept of the Divine or those who do believe in a multiple god philosophy.

I further believe that concepts of spiritual thought can be simply stated and agreed upon thus leading to religous tolerance.
chuckc cv

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 06:18 am
@chico,
chico;13765 wrote:
No one knows if you disagree or not. They are not keen in monitoring their memebers faith.

I or a Muslim can receive communion everyday. Everyone can enter and receive communion if they wish.

Going back to your original point, I do not believe you will cease being Cathloic by disagreeing with one doctrine.

And I can only speak of my personal experiences with Catholicism.
At a Catholic mass, someone I was with, was asked "at the altar" no less, by the priest, if she was Catholic, she said no and was refused communion.

I have no idea what prompted this particular priest to ask her, but he did. I can only summize he did not recognize her from regular service. I was baffled.
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 06:37 am
@chuckc cv,
chuckc;13768 wrote:
But as a reality, the single view of the Divine may be too stifling and I would argue that it would lead to the alienation of those who do not believe in any concept of the Divine or those who do believe in a multiple god philosophy.

So you are in favor of laissez-faire religion.
I thought if there was one God that religion would be absolute.
chico

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 06:47 am
@SWORD of GOD,
Going back to your original point, I do not believe you will cease being Cathloic by disagreeing with one doctrine.

Yes, they will not cease being Catholic but it is stated in their catechism they ceased to be Catholic.

Good day. bye
0 Replies

chuckc cv

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 07:08 am
@z0z0,
z0z0;13770 wrote:
So you are in favor of laissez-faire religion.
I thought if there was one God that religion would be absolute.

Yes, if by laissez-faire you mean "let do", as in let others worhip as they please.

If the entire population of the earth believed in the one God philosophy it would not be an absolute, but rather a single minded thought. Absolute as I understand it, is the totality of things. If the belief system in one view, one God view, then it is not absolute because other God concepts are not even considered.
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 08:03 am
@z0z0,
So you are in favor of multiple religions?
0 Replies

chuckc cv

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 01:43 pm
@SWORD of GOD,
Yes.

I think that multiple view points especially on such a personal and quite often passsionate topic, is healthy. Also, I believe that not one religion is correct, they all have something to offer.
0 Replies

Campbell34

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 02:49 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;13696 wrote:
Unfortunately Jesus did not fulfill all the prophecies of the OT, as educated Jews will tell you, the 70 weeks of Daniel were not fufilled

The 70 weeks of Daniel were not fulfilled because their end fulfillment would take place at the end of time, and not at Christ death on the cross. And Jesus did fulfill the 300 prophecies of Gods servant to come, even the rejection of His own people, the betrayal by a friend for 30 pecies of silver, and countles other prophecies to numerous to list. It was educated Jews that put Christ on the cross in the first place, they had the wisdom of men but not the wisdom of God. And that is why Christ told His Father to forgive them because they did not know what they were doing.
Campbell34

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 06:34 pm
@chico,
chico;13731 wrote:
In my study of the Bible, I believe there are no clear verses that teaches Jesus was/is God. Most preachers who believe that Jesus was/is God can give verses in the Bible that says Jesus is really God. But when you study all the verses that says so, you will understand that they have different message.

Jesus was not called 'God' in the Bible nor 'only man' nor 'not man'.

Who is Jesus?

Jesus is the Spirit of God in Genesis chap 1 ver 1-2 because he is John chap 1 verse 3......

Jesus was not called God in the Bible?

Do you not recall Peter calling Christ the Son of the living God, or Thomas telling Christ He was his Lord and His God. The Bible clearly tells us Jesus created all things, and Scripture clearly tells us that only God created all things. Who is Jesus? The Bible tells us in 1 john 5:7 that there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word,(Jesus) and the Holy Ghost, and these three are ONE. Jesus is God, and Scripture plainly points this out.
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 06:47 pm
@z0z0,
Anyone that can bring the dead back to life would definitely get me calling them God.
0 Replies

Campbell34

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 06:50 pm
@chuckc cv,
chuckc;13742 wrote:
Names of books, Bible, Koran, Torah, Sida?

What are the BASIC messages of Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, and any other ism you can think of? please educate me.

Most religions will tell you that only by being good can you earn salvation. The Christian faith is different because it states that know one will ever be good enouth to earn salvation, and your best works before the Throne of God are nothing more than filthy rags. In the Christian faith, good works only show how sincere you are, yet these works will not earn you salvation. Salvation comes only to them that accept Gods gift to man that comes to us when we invite Jesus Christ into our life as Lord and Saviour. It was Christ death on the cross that will cover our sin, and it is only His death that can do this.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 07:51 pm
@Campbell34,
Campbell34;13806 wrote:
The 70 weeks of Daniel were not fulfilled because their end fulfillment would take place at the end of time, and not at Christ death on the cross. And Jesus did fulfill the 300 prophecies of Gods servant to come, even the rejection of His own people, the betrayal by a friend for 30 pecies of silver, and countless other prophecies to numerous to list. It was educated Jews that put Christ on the cross in the first place, they had the wisdom of men but not the wisdom of God. And that is why Christ told His Father to forgive them because they did not know what they were doing.

Well the Jews felt that the Messiah would complete the 70 weeks of Daniel. The "gap theory" was the final bridge needed to make it to the other side of the messiah ravine so to speak. It was not included in the original vision of the Prophet Daniel and was added to the idea after the fact only because Jesus DID NOT complete the prophecy
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 08:05 pm
@SWORD of GOD,
Seems like I've missed out on all the Catholic-bashing fun here.

Catholic is indeed derived from the Greek word for universal. This is because it is indeed the universal Christian church since establishment by common consensus among leading Church scholars and leaders in the centuries shortly after Christ. It is, IMO, ludicrous to insinuate that the church should in some way change its policy of being universal just because some decided to break away from it.

chuckc, it is part of Catholic doctrine not to allow those not in communion with the Catholic church to recieve communion. Communion is the body and blood of Christ, physically, he is represented in it. Therefore, it is probably imperative that those who are not prepared to recieve it, for example, those not part of the Church or in communion with it, not to recieve it. Most protestant denominations consider it as only a symbol.
Silverchild79

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 08:30 pm
@SWORD of GOD,
There were also Pagan members on the council, in fact I've read that a statue of Jupiter actually became a statue of James in the Catholic church.

The aim wasn't so cement Christianity per say but to unite all of Rome under one, universal, religion. Christianity was chosen for several reasons based in faith and politics. Emperor Constantine even remained Pagan until he died.