Society and it's role?

markx15

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 12:17 pm
@Red cv,
So you consider societies influences as a consience thing? Do you think any of us has a real measure as to what we are affected by?
socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 12:49 pm
@One Man Clan,
One Man Clan;23172 wrote:
Really?

He's a rudderless craft in a hurricane?

Apparantly rudderless craft are pretty ideal.

Here's a hint, it's the individual that decides who they become. From the age of twelve forward the individual is able to make decisions on their own.

Listen clan - what happens long before the age of 12 is far more of a determining factor of how you will evolve as a man. By 12, without a solid foundation, that child has little chance for a good life. If you read the post instead of scanning it you would have realized that I complimented your grand father. Pay attention.
aaronssongs

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 03:28 pm
@One Man Clan,
One Man Clan;23229 wrote:
Only weak people are products of their circumstances.

Everyone gets pushed around by their environment. Those of us that aren't weak? We push back.

Only when the playing field is level, and people are judged by the content of their character, and their talents instead of the color of their skin, or who they know, will that be true...you can talk all you want out the left side of your face...but until you walk in somebody else's shoes, instead of your Kenneth Coles, you need to be quiet.
And truth be told, some get pushed more than others...or do you deny "white privilege" exists?
And "those of us that aren't weak", isn't a question,, and doesn't deserve a question mark...equal opportunity syntax police. Geez.
aaronssongs

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 03:29 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;23237 wrote:
Listen clan - what happens long before the age of 12 is far more of a determining factor of how you will evolve as a man. By 12, without a solid foundation, that child has little chance for a good life. If you read the post instead of scanning it you would have realized that I complimented your grand father. Pay attention.

I think that's asking too much.
12 is too late to "start" rearing a child.
One Man Clan

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 03:36 pm
@markx15,
markx15;23233 wrote:
So you consider societies influences as a consience thing? Do you think any of us has a real measure as to what we are affected by?

No.

We have a real measure on how we react to it.

And in that we shape the events to come.
0 Replies

One Man Clan

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 03:37 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;23237 wrote:

Yes, I read it.

And nevertheless, you called him a rudderless craft in a hurricane.

And again, I believe that anyone can overcome stuff that happens to them before 12, and become their own person. They just have to try.
0 Replies

One Man Clan

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 03:38 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;23248 wrote:
Only when the playing field is level, and people are judged by the content of their character, and their talents instead of the color of their skin, or who they know, will that be true...you can talk all you want out the left side of your face...but until you walk in somebody else's shoes, instead of your Kenneth Coles, you need to be quiet.
And truth be told, some get pushed more than others...or do you deny "white privilege" exists?
And "those of us that aren't weak", isn't a question,, and doesn't deserve a question mark...equal opportunity syntax police. Geez.

The playing field will never be even.

Never.

And that doesn't change the fact that we are responsible for our actions.
aaronssongs

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 03:50 pm
@One Man Clan,
One Man Clan;23255 wrote:
The playing field will never be even.

Never.

And that doesn't change the fact that we are responsible for our actions.

Well, you know, idealist and optimist that I am, I don't believe that.
We are responsible for our own actions...but people can be better than they are. Those that supported slavery, said, "Never!", and they waged a war to keep the institution in place...and they lost.
I've learned to never say "Never"....if you do, you're liable to be made a fool.
socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 04:40 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;23249 wrote:
I think that's asking too much.
12 is too late to "start" rearing a child.

Exactly my point - by 12 they are already lost. There are a lot of people poppin' off on this site that think if you scream loud enough people will be convinced.
0 Replies

One Man Clan

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 06:24 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;23257 wrote:
Well, you know, idealist and optimist that I am, I don't believe that.

Well, you know, rational realist I am, I do believe that.

Quote:
We are responsible for our own actions...but people can be better than they are.

That's what I'm saying.

Quote:
Those that supported slavery, said, "Never!", and they waged a war to keep the institution in place...and they lost.

Man, that's a way to get it off topic.

Quote:
I've learned to never say "Never"....if you do, you're liable to be made a fool.

No, I'm liable to be made a realist.
aaronssongs

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 06:43 pm
@One Man Clan,
One Man Clan;23266 wrote:
Well, you know, rational realist I am, I do believe that.

You stated it once, did something change for you to re-state it? Or do you enjoy repeating yourself, in the hopes that saying it often will change another's mind...or perhaps you like the sound of your own voice ("in print"), over and over again

That's what I'm saying.

I got that...I was in agreement...once again, you echo what you said before. why? didn't it fly the first time...or, perhaps, you like the sound of your own voice (in print), over and over again.

Man, that's a way to get it off topic.

"Off topic", or pertinent to illustrate a point. My, my, my....don't ever bring up the topic of slavery...it makes folks uncomfortable. Perhaps, they have unresolved issues surrounding it. Perhaps they feel "guilty". Or "shame"...perhaps those are the appropriate emotions to feel.

No, I'm liable to be made a realist.

Intransigent. heels dug in. Those contemporaries of Columbus that thought they were realists to believe that he was sailing to his doom, had to recover their grace and dignity when they learned of his successes, in discovering The New World...they were made out to be, at the very least, "whimsical"( by some accounts) and "foolish" (by others)
0 Replies

One Man Clan

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2007 06:48 pm
@Red cv,
Aaronsongs wrote:
You stated it once, did something change for you to re-state it? Or do you enjoy repeating yourself, in the hopes that saying it often will change another's mind...or perhaps you like the sound of your own voice ("in print"), over and over again

I was contrasting "idealist and optimist" with "rational realist".

And... what's wrong with making the same point multiple times?

Quote:
I got that...I was in agreement...once again, you echo what you said before. why? didn't it fly the first time...or, perhaps, you like the sound of your own voice (in print), over and over again.

No, I wasn't sure whether or not you were in agreement.

That wasn't hard to figure out.

Quote:
"Off topic", or pertinent to illustrate a point. My, my, my....don't ever bring up the topic of slavery...it makes folks uncomfortable. Perhaps, they have unresolved issues surrounding it. Perhaps they feel "guilty". Or "shame"...perhaps those are the appropriate emotions to feel.

lol

No, I'm not guilty in the least bit or ashamed in the least bit.

I don't feel guilty or ashamed for other people.

Quote:
Intransigent. heels dug in. Those contemporaries of Columbus that thought they were realists to believe that he was sailing to his doom, had to recover their grace and dignity when they learned of his successes, in discovering The New World...they were made out to be, at the very least, "whimsical"( by some accounts) and "foolish" (by others)

Oh yeah, that's a totally realist approach to take. "According to our fairy tales and wild guesses, you're screwed buddy!"

Your version of "realism" is pretty warped.
aaronssongs

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 06:11 am
@One Man Clan,
One Man Clan;23273 wrote:
I was contrasting "idealist and optimist" with "rational realist".

Oh, and that was supposed to illustrate a point, which would be what?
Can stop making open end, asinine statements and explain, as you would have me do, why you're a "rational realist", because I don't find "rational" in your makeup. You're motivated by your narrow and limited belief system, and I don't think you have valid reasons for believing as you do, but that's just me. You're free to live in the dark...countless others like you, so don't feel all alone

And... what's wrong with making the same point multiple times?

There is no medal for being redundant...you appear foolish

No, I wasn't sure whether or not you were in agreement.

Well, that just backs up my claim that some of you are not the sharpest knives in the drawer

That wasn't hard to figure out.

lol

No, I'm not guilty in the least bit or ashamed in the least bit.

I don't feel guilty or ashamed for other people.

Typical....Denial is pervasive. The fact is, slavery "should" be a source of guilt and shame...if it were so, you'd be more circumspect in your arrogant aire, and considerably more tolerant and compassionate, in light of social issues, concerning minorities, and that of "white privilege", which you enjoy and benefit from, daily. Oh, how'd I know you were white? Rhetoric, baby, rhetoric. Don't you find that curious. I mean your words give away your race....how could that be? Why do you suppose there are few black Republicans or conservatives? Because being Republican and being conservative is beneficial mainly to "white people", to the exclusion of everybody else...I'd say that's a problem...the Republican party image is one that is "non-inclusive", yet has a lot to say about the restriction of personal freedoms (pro-choice, hate crimes legislation, equity in the workplace, womens' rights, and tolerance of "others")...and ever since the party was 'hijacked" by the religious right, the effects have been more pronounced.
Is it any wonder why the Democrats and Independents are on the rise?

Oh yeah, that's a totally realist approach to take. "According to our fairy tales and wild guesses, you're screwed buddy!"

Your version of "realism" is pretty warped.

The same could be said for you....instead of you responding to my premise, you rejected it out of hand....telling, that you ask for what you refuse to give, which is acknowledgement that ones' argument has validity on the merits, even though you don't agree with the conclusion.
Therefore, you're another with whom I've been "spinning my wheels" with.
It's been an exercise in futility, and quite frankly, a waste of time...you're an ideologue, with no clue as to how you got there, and you offer no solutions to the problems presented...you're the product of your recalcitrant mind.
My partner has noticed me spending way too much time arguing and venting with people who are stuck in a mindset which is rooted in fear and ignorance...he is frustrated because I seemed to care about trying to contribute to the fabric of discussion, in a forum of mindsets that are baffling, troubling, and self righteous. But I'm done...I've given too much importance to this...this group of do-nothings with a lot of nothing to say. Keep on slapping each others backs as if you're doing a good job. Adios.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 10:13 am
@Red cv,
And with that we say goodbye? Can we hold you to that? Before you go i'd like to commend you on your tolerance.
aaronssongs

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 10:40 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;23330 wrote:
And with that we say goodbye? Can we hold you to that? Before you go i'd like to comment you on your tolerance.

And mama didn't raise no fool, right? The word you were trying for is commend...
as well as "masturbation"....no "master" in it...look it up. Dictionaries are useful.
Or perhaps not...you'd have to have finished high school, let alone, grade school.
And yes, I'm going...just stuck around for parting shots...
I figure I'll let you just be stupid on your own...ouch, was that a parting personal attack? Guess so. Bye. Losers.
Reagaknight

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 10:48 am
@Red cv,
Quote:
But I'm done...I've given too much importance to this...this group of do-nothings with a lot of nothing to say. Keep on slapping each others backs as if you're doing a good job. Adios.

Big surprise, huh?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 11:05 am
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;23336 wrote:
And mama didn't raise no fool, right? The word you were trying for is commend...
as well as "masturbation"....no "master" in it...look it up. Dictionaries are useful.
Or perhaps not...you'd have to have finished high school, let alone, grade school.
I figure I'll let you just be stupid on your own...ouch, was that a parting personal attack? Guess so. Bye. Losers.

Quote:
And mama didn't raise no fool, right?
LOL well the fool i'm talking too says he was leaving but yet he stays? With this post it is evident you are not a man of your word.
Quote:
The word you were trying for is commend...

Why would i need to do that, that's what your for.
Quote:
Your tolerance slip is showing. You seem to thrive on emotinal outbursts, let me guess your the emotional one of your partnership?
Quote:
What ever will we do, the place won't fell the same without you. Hell Brian might even have to shut the site down for lack of intellectual imput. Oh dear oh my. I guess my count goes up, now it seven people of your kind i have seen come and go. FYI you lasted alot less then the rest of them, you go girl.
Quote:
I figure I'll let you just be stupid on your own...ouch,
We were here before you, well be here well after you. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Quote:
was that a parting personal attack?
How righteous of you. Typically emo tantrum when an elitist doesn't get his way, waaaaaaaaa, go cry on your partners shoulder.
Quote:
Guess so. Bye. Losers
The only loser is the one not talking any more? Common, i know you got better shots then that in you? Why don't you show us what your really like? If your leaving you might as well get banned?
0 Replies

One Man Clan

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 11:50 am
@Red cv,
Quote:
Oh, and that was supposed to illustrate a point, which would be what?
Can stop making open end, asinine statements and explain, as you would have me do, why you're a "rational realist", because I don't find "rational" in your makeup. You're motivated by your narrow and limited belief system, and I don't think you have valid reasons for believing as you do, but that's just me. You're free to live in the dark...countless others like you, so don't feel all alone

You don't even understand my belief system, bud.

As for my point, I was showing that "idealist and optimist" is not a "rational realist".

You think with emotion.

Quote:
There is no medal for being redundant...you appear foolish

No you don't, you appear consistent.

Quote:
Well, that just backs up my claim that some of you are not the sharpest knives in the drawer

Why? Because your thoughts are incoherent?

Quote:
Typical....Denial is pervasive. The fact is, slavery "should" be a source of guilt and shame...if it were so, you'd be more circumspect in your arrogant aire, and considerably more tolerant and compassionate, in light of social issues, concerning minorities, and that of "white privilege", which you enjoy and benefit from, daily. Oh, how'd I know you were white? Rhetoric, baby, rhetoric. Don't you find that curious. I mean your words give away your race....how could that be? Why do you suppose there are few black Republicans or conservatives? Because being Republican and being conservative is beneficial mainly to "white people", to the exclusion of everybody else...I'd say that's a problem...the Republican party image is one that is "non-inclusive", yet has a lot to say about the restriction of personal freedoms (pro-choice, hate crimes legislation, equity in the workplace, womens' rights, and tolerance of "others")...and ever since the party was 'hijacked" by the religious right, the effects have been more pronounced.
Is it any wonder why the Democrats and Independents are on the rise?

Yep, you certainly don't understand my beliefs.

Not in the least bit.

Quote:
The same could be said for you....instead of you responding to my premise, you rejected it out of hand....telling, that you ask for what you refuse to give, which is acknowledgement that ones' argument has validity on the merits, even though you don't agree with the conclusion.
Therefore, you're another with whom I've been "spinning my wheels" with.
It's been an exercise in futility, and quite frankly, a waste of time...you're an ideologue, with no clue as to how you got there, and you offer no solutions to the problems presented...you're the product of your recalcitrant mind.
My partner has noticed me spending way too much time arguing and venting with people who are stuck in a mindset which is rooted in fear and ignorance...he is frustrated because I seemed to care about trying to contribute to the fabric of discussion, in a forum of mindsets that are baffling, troubling, and self righteous. But I'm done...I've given too much importance to this...this group of do-nothings with a lot of nothing to say. Keep on slapping each others backs as if you're doing a good job. Adios.

I destroyed your premise.
0 Replies

rhopper3

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 04:30 pm
@Red cv,
Society such as it is bears at keast some responsibility for how people turn out, even if it is accepted people are responsible for their own actions...and I still believe they are for the most part
the majority of people take their decision makingh cues from a combination of social programming ...experience and emotional tendencies
every cultural sub group has its own codes and modes of behavior imposed on it by history and the firt order of business is to eliminate all of them and start over

and you can rant and rave about making your own way until the cows actually do come home ...until society takes some direct part in how people are raised and taught...until the shy are to be bold and the bold are taught to be calm etc etc etc....
it has no business complaining how they turn out.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 07:04 pm
@Red cv,
Christendom is the society all Christians should strive to rebuild.
0 Replies