Roman Catholic Leaders Criticize New York City For Distributing 20M Condoms As Part O

mousy

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 06:17 pm
Roman Catholic leaders in New York City on Thursday released a joint statement criticizing the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene's efforts to deliver about 26 million condoms to organizations and venues in the city to help curb the spread of HIV, the New York Post reports (Campanile, New York Post, 2/16). The health department last month approved a $1.57 million contract to deliver Ansell Healthcare's Lifestyle condoms and packets of lubricants to help curb the spread of HIV. The health department will pay Ansell four cents per condom, putting the cost of the program at about $720,000 annually, according to health officials. City health officials on Wednesday unveiled the official condom, which a subway theme with different colors for various train lines. Officials plan to track the progress of the program through an annual community health survey, which polls 10,000 city residents by telephone. New York City currently distributes about 1.5 million condoms monthly, or about 18 million annually, at no cost to organizations, health clinics, advocacy groups, bars, restaurants, nail salons, nightclubs and prisons. Organizations or venues can request an unlimited supply of condoms at no cost through an online ordering system set up by the city health department (Kaiser Daily HIV/AIDS Report, 2/14).
Statement, Reaction
In the joint statement, Cardinal Edward Egan -- head of the Archdiocese of New York -- and Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio of Brooklyn criticized the distribution program, calling it an immoral "anything goes" policy that degrades society, the Post reports (New York Post, 2/16). Condom distribution is "tragic and misguided," they said, adding that the only way to protect against HIV and other sexually transmitted infections is through abstinence before marriage and fidelity among married couples. According to Egan and DiMarzio, "Our political leaders fail to protect the moral tone of our community when they encourage inappropriate sexual activity by blanketing our neighborhoods with condoms." They added, "By their actions, they ignore that truth and degrade societal standards" (Kugler, AP/Los Angeles Times, 2/15). Stu Loeser, spokesperson for Mayor Michael Bloomberg (R), said, "We believe we're saving lives and it's important to do that." City Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden said the distribution program will increase safe sex practices and reduce HIV transmission and unplanned pregnancies. "It will save lives and actually save money," he added (New York Post, 2/16). Bloomberg on Friday in his weekly radio address said that although he believes young people should wait until they are adults before having sex, the health department has to "work with the real world of people not practicing protected sex, not practicing abstinence." He added that condom distribution is a "way to keep people alive" (Saul, New York Daily News, 2/17).
Roman Catholic Leaders Criticize New York City For Distributing 20M Condoms As Part Of HIV Prevention Efforts
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,208 • Replies: 11
No top replies

mousy

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 06:43 pm
@mousy,
Quote:
In the joint statement, Cardinal Edward Egan -- head of the Archdiocese of New York -- and Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio of Brooklyn criticized the distribution program, calling it an immoral "anything goes" policy that degrades society, the Post reports (New York Post, 2/16). Condom distribution is "tragic and misguided," they said, adding that the only way to protect against HIV and other sexually transmitted infections is through abstinence before marriage and fidelity among married couples. According to Egan and DiMarzio, "Our political leaders fail to protect the moral tone of our community when they encourage inappropriate sexual activity by blanketing our neighborhoods with condoms." They added, "By their actions, they ignore that truth and degrade societal standards" (Kugler, AP/Los Angeles Times, 2/15).

Mary only knows how many kids were infected by AIDS via Father Sodom- perhaps at the time of hiring pedophiles condoms be giving to the
followers of CHRIST before raping the kiddies
Morality? From the Roman Catholic Church? :FU1:
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 12:47 am
@mousy,
The RCC has to understand the the State is an entity separate from any religion, if it abided by all religions then anything would be justifiable if under the pretense of religious practice.

I find it hipocritical that these religious men who tecnically wish to save all through God's name are willing to let die those who don't follow their veiws such as abstinence. Many STDs lead to death, those that don't are not the reason for the distribution of condoms. Maybe they didn't read the Bible, but I was under the impression that you couldn't repent after you were dead, is it their job to condem anyone?
0 Replies

Tulip cv

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 06:13 am
@mousy,
mousey, where is your source? as usual your story is not complete nor is it correct...

spending money on condoms when people need food, shelter, have issues of living in rodent infested buildings etc. is irresponsible spending...if it were tampons or those inserted cervical caps for women then it would be recognized for what it is.

as for your ongoing lament about the Catholic Church, it is like all other religious groups {not to be confused with cults that support peophilism like Islam}, in that it is run by flawed humans.

Peophilism is found everywhere, l believe it is an epidemic, because those that are caught represent the tip of the iceburg. I know for example, here in Canada, when a teacher is caught with a history of peophilism they STILL manage to find jobs doing substitute teaching and working in libraries...what the Board of Education doesn't want you to know...and they STILL recieve the enormous pension.

So why can't you start a thread with a proper reference mousy...because the one you started with is not the truth, half a story is no story.
Curmudgeon

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 08:29 am
@mousy,
And , Mousy , why do you need to quote yourself?
mousy

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 12:09 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon;11280 wrote:
And , Mousy , why do you need to quote yourself?

I did:beat:
0 Replies

mousy

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 12:14 pm
@Tulip cv,
Tulip;11269 wrote:
mousey, where is your source? as usual your story is not complete nor is it correct...

Then complete it..the link should lead you to the story.

Quote:
spending money on condoms when people need food, shelter, have issues of living in rodent infested buildings etc. is irresponsible spending...if it were tampons or those inserted cervical caps for women then it would be recognized for what it is.

Then perhaps the catholic cult should break off some funds to address those problems if their so worried

Quote:
as for your ongoing lament about the Catholic Church, it is like all other religious groups {not to be confused with cults that support peophilism like Islam}, in that it is run by flawed humans.

Like the Roman Catholic church

Quote:
Peophilism is found everywhere, l believe it is an epidemic, because those that are caught represent the tip of the iceburg. I know for example, here in Canada, when a teacher is caught with a history of peophilism they STILL manage to find jobs doing substitute teaching and working in libraries...what the Board of Education doesn't want you to know...and they STILL recieve the enormous pension.

Wonder how much pension the priest recieve
0 Replies

mousy

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 12:17 pm
@mousy,
Quote:
The RCC has to understand the the State is an entity separate from any religion, if it abided by all religions then anything would be justifiable if under the pretense of religious practice.

God like complex.........

Quote:
I find it hipocritical that these religious men who tecnically wish to save all through God's name are willing to let die those who don't follow their veiws such as abstinence. Many STDs lead to death, those that don't are not the reason for the distribution of condoms. Maybe they didn't read the Bible, but I was under the impression that you couldn't repent after you were dead, is it their job to condem anyone?

Catholics pick and choose from the Bible

Reagaknight

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 03:18 pm
@mousy,
People think that we should tell kids to use condoms and encourage people to use the, when people aren't sure about the Church's teaching.

Of course, you're right on the fact that the Bible points out that people can't repent when they're dead. WTF was that about???

Contraception is sinning, okay. Where AIDS is huge in Africa, it's allowed. Basically, it shouldn't even be necessary to use condoms if you're Catholic, you can't fornicate, and I would assume that you know if your spouse has HIV/AIDS.
0 Replies

rhopper3

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 10:46 pm
@mousy,
I get encouraging people to delay sex until marriage, I think it is a silly idea but I get it. But I don't get the idea that condoms are evil. Can I hold them over a vile of holy water and watch them burn from the pure evil they contain. Not having one has never stopped people from having sex and I find the idea that having one will make them do it kind of silly.
Condoms are a real way of addressing a real problem that is not going away because someone preaches or teaches at someone else.
0 Replies

mousy

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 11:04 pm
@mousy,
Quote:

And they always will...look at the LAWS inparticular America...remember John Mark Kar?
He would have never sought refuge in some Islamic country.
0 Replies

mousy

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 11:14 pm
@mousy,
METHODS OF PUNISHMENT:

The electric chair ? Outdated
Gas? Hardly any blood/and strapped down
Stoning? Might kill the person to fast
Shooting? Only if its a shotgun to the head

The Roman colossum was lucrative and satisfying..Very Happy
to see a viscious lion rip a priest throat out.... priceless
0 Replies