No top replies

onyxelle

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 12:12 am
i don't know - never heard it.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 12:26 am
Eh... Try clicking http://www.usatoday.com/
You should let popup page go (some program can block it). If possible, there is an ad named "dunk the punk"(there are a coach and a player are playing basketball... I think "the punk" is directed to the player)

I just found out the ad today.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 01:13 am
OK I'm going to take a stab at this.
1. A punk often refers to a young person with a bad attitude, a trouble maker, basically a jerk. The whole punk music fad/fashion is based on this phenomenon.
2. In basketball, a slam dunk occurs when the player jumps with the ball and with one or both hands plunges the ball in the net. If you dunk your cookie into the milk your submerging it.

So...in this scenario, I'm assuming the coach is about to dunk a player who is giving him troubles.
Hope this clarifies it a bit.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 01:52 am
Does the game make someone fall into a tub of water (or something) of baskets are made?

Have you seen the carnival attraction in which people throw a ball at a target trying to "dunk a clown"?

Could be something similar.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 01:54 am
Dunk tank
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 04:53 am
I've seen the Orbitz ad where dunk the punk means hit the target and dump the jerk in to the water, but there's always something new in the air and on the playgrounds of New York City, things are always changing.

Punk has taken on a new meaning in the USA recently. Young people use punk to mean
"a person to take advantage of or to a make a fool of."
They use it as a noun: "We left him standing there with his mouth open, the punk."
a verb: "We punked him bad."
"You've been punked, dude."*

Dunk the punk is a name for a game of basketball played between two players.
Each player tries not only to score but to score in the most outrageous fashion possible, so even if a player could shoot from a distance, it's better if he dunks it, shoves it right down through the basket. It's about
embarrassing the other player by scoring so well. Most of the time, it's all in good fun.

There is a television program called "Punked" in which famous people are tricked into thinking they are in deep trouble. A starlet is accused of shoplifting, for example, and just when she is on the breaking point because they are yelling at her about going to jail etc and she says something like '"How could this be happening to me?" they answer "Because you've been punked."
It's mean, and not all the funny to me, but some people love to watch people squirm.

Joe
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 04:53 am
Orbitz's Dunk the Punk Popup Ad -- Is this the one you're talking about Oristar? Probably not as you mentioned basketball, but anyway it uses the same phrase, and it's just like the "dunk a clown" game craven described.

I don't think "dunk the punk" is a commonly used idiom, but at least once I've heard it used to mean beating up some a**. I've also heard "junk the punk", but that sounds even more lame to me.

Its most common use is probably the basketball game Joe described, although I've never heard of that before.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 07:49 am
Thank you all. Smile

I didn't get it very well. Some data:

RogueWorld-Saipan
Affiliates. Link to my site. Hosted by. Plannet Battlefield. Saipan. Click on Picture to Enlarge.
Recent Headlines. Orbitz games. 1) Fly The Blimp 2) Spike the Ball 3) Dunk the Punk 4) Strike 'em Out 5) Dodge the Cab 6) Catch the Fly 7) Tee Off and Save 8) Splash into Saving 9) Sink the Putt.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 08:15 am
This Dunk the Punk is referring to a carnival game where a person (the Punk) sits on a platform over a tank of water. There is a target attached to a trigger that when hit dumps the person into the water.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 09:25 pm
Thanks Joe, I got it now. Very Happy
0 Replies