Mosaic 4,000 Dead

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 03:33 pm
@g-man,
g-man;57256 wrote:
Did you see in one of "my" post that suggested that the men who fought wars were manipulated? No. That was "your" word.
My words may be incoherent to you as you seem to be mixed up. go back, "slowly read" who said what.

I will agree that action in Iraq has nothing to do with the freedoms America enjoys. Nor did Korea, Viet Nam or Bosnia.
I will state however that as an American who does enjoy these freedoms, I have no problem with helping other nations in efforts to maintain or create democracy.
I know that statement will open a can of worms for you. But what the heck.

the problem is that you're trying to make this about all wars when it simply isn't. We were talking about Iraq.
g-man

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 06:29 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;57263 wrote:
the problem is that you're trying to make this about all wars when it simply isn't. We were talking about Iraq.

The men who fight in Iraq are actually only the second time in America's history to fight as 100% "volunteers".
I will concede one issue for you. Manipulated is actually the appropriate word to use in all conflicts. Commanders do manipulate troops. However, when volunteering for duty, though you'd like to paint them as poor little stupid victims, know that the U.S. military means war. They know they have no say in what war.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 01:08 pm
@g-man,
g-man;57265 wrote:
The men who fight in Iraq are actually only the second time in America's history to fight as 100% "volunteers".
I will concede one issue for you. Manipulated is actually the appropriate word to use in all conflicts. Commanders do manipulate troops. However, when volunteering for duty, though you'd like to paint them as poor little stupid victims, know that the U.S. military means war. They know they have no say in what war.

The manipulation comes into play when men are lead to believe they are fighting for REASON A instead of the hidden political REASON B. This is what is happening with the Iraq war, with soldiers who think this war is about fighting terrorists when it is not. That is the difference between the Iraq war and WWII.
g-man

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 08:25 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;57278 wrote:
The manipulation comes into play when men are lead to believe they are fighting for REASON A instead of the hidden political REASON B. This is what is happening with the Iraq war, with soldiers who think this war is about fighting terrorists when it is not. That is the difference between the Iraq war and WWII.

Soldiers do not, never have, never will nor should get options to decide where and when they do the duty.
They were not duped. They know their mission is to stabilize Iraq after that government did not follow the U.N. sanctions. Whats wrong is that no one expected it to take so long and it would not have had Al Queda not joined the party.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 05:11 pm
@g-man,
g-man;57285 wrote:
Soldiers do not, never have, never will nor should get options to decide where and when they do the duty.
They were not duped. They know their mission is to stabilize Iraq after that government did not follow the U.N. sanctions. Whats wrong is that no one expected it to take so long and it would not have had Al Queda not joined the party.

Wrong,

The majority of Americans including those in the armed forces believed we were going to fight the terrorists, most Americans believed that we went into Iraq as retribution for 9/11. I almost guarantee you if you ask a soldier why he signed up one of the reasons will NOT be because he wanted to help stabilize Iraq. This is where the misinformation/manipulation comes into play.
g-man

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:30 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;57289 wrote:
Wrong,

1. The majority of Americans including those in the armed forces believed we were going to fight the terrorists, most Americans believed that we went into Iraq as retribution for 9/11.
2. I almost guarantee you if you ask a soldier why he signed up one of the reasons will NOT be because he wanted to help stabilize Iraq. This is where the misinformation/manipulation comes into play.

1. So say 'you".
2. No problem, I can call my son, I can call my niece, I can call on several friends whose sons have served in the conflict. But, I don't need to call them however, we've had this conversation over beer several times. None of them think Iraq was in response to 911.
They know the reason was over WMD's. Not because they did exist. But because Hussein defied U.N. sanctions when he moved materials ahead of visits by U.N. inspectors and threatened use of them on Israel.
Stabilizing Iraq became a secondary mission. Made difficult by the presences of Al Queda.
They also believe that it has been a worthy endeavor because Kurds need not be concerned that they will be poison gassed again.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 07:15 pm
@g-man,
g-man;57292 wrote:
1. So say 'you".

so says statistics.
g-man

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 04:59 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;57295 wrote:
so says statistics.

Which left wing website would you be referring to?
Or does the government poll the soldiers for their approval?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 04:14 pm
@g-man,
g-man;57301 wrote:
Which left wing website would you be referring to?
Or does the government poll the soldiers for their approval?

not approval but beliefs concerning Saddam/9-11 connection.

i believe it was on CNN.
g-man

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 06:43 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;57308 wrote:
not approval but beliefs concerning Saddam/9-11 connection.

i believe it was on CNN.

The government does not poll troops for approval or beliefs.

CNN does not have access to enough troops to make any legitimate claim.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 10:22 am
@g-man,
g-man;57314 wrote:
The government does not poll troops for approval or beliefs.

CNN does not have access to enough troops to make any legitimate claim.

Did i not say AVERAGE AMERICAN? Or do you have problems comprehending?
g-man

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 06:12 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;57323 wrote:
Did i not say AVERAGE AMERICAN? Or do you have problems comprehending?

Fatal_Freedoms;57289 wrote:

Wrong, The majority of Americans .......[SIZE="3"]including those in the armed forces[/SIZE]........ believed we were going to fight the terrorists, most Americans believed that we went into Iraq as retribution for 9/11. I almost guarantee you if you ask a soldier why he signed up one of the reasons will NOT be because he wanted to help stabilize Iraq. This is where the misinformation/manipulation comes into play.

No. You said the majority of Americans followed by "including those in the armed forces".
There are times when I struggle with comprehension. But, since all either of us needed to do was scroll up a few post, it didn't seem to be a problem. I won't end by attempting to insult you however.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 07:21 pm
@g-man,
g-man;57331 wrote:
No. You said the majority of Americans followed by "including those in the armed forces".
There are times when I struggle with comprehension. But, since all either of us needed to do was scroll up a few post, it didn't seem to be a problem. I won't end by attempting to insult you however.

Many average Americans are in the armed forces.
g-man

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 07:42 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;57337 wrote:
Many average Americans are in the armed forces.

Like I said, CNN does not have adequate access to enough combat troops to be in a position to poll them on their feelings concerning why they are there. If CNN claims to have that knowledge, it brings into question their integrity concerning other issues.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 08:09 pm
@g-man,
g-man;57339 wrote:
Like I said, CNN does not have adequate access to enough combat troops to be in a position to poll them on their feelings concerning why they are there. If CNN claims to have that knowledge, it brings into question their integrity concerning other issues.

Head + desk

If you poll average americans you will inevitably being polling those who serve and those who will serve.
g-man

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 08:18 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;57341 wrote:
Head + desk

If you poll average americans you will inevitably being polling those who serve and those who will serve.

OK. Fine.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 08:31 pm
@g-man,
Oddly enough, i had a conversation with someone today who STILL believes we invaded Iraq because of terrorists, even after the pentagon and the 9/11 commission has said there is no al-qaeda/Saddam link and Even after the president himself has finally admitted there was no connection. I have reason to believe there are still many people who think this.
0 Replies