Illegals build fence to keep illegals out.

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 08:02 pm
A fence-building company in Southern California agrees to pay nearly $5 million in fines for hiring illegal immigrants. Two executives from the company may also serve jail time. The Golden State Fence Company's work includes some of the border fence between San Diego and Mexico.

After an immigration check in 1999 found undocumented workers on its payroll, Golden State promised to clean house. But when followup checks were made in 2004 and 2005, some of those same illegal workers were still on the job. In fact, U-S Attorney Carol Lam says as many as a third of the company's 750 workers may have been in the country illegally.
more...
NPR : Border Fence Firm Snared for Hiring Illegal Workers

Kind of ironic I'd say.Hiring illegals to build a fence to keep illegals out. Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,025 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 10:28 am
@tumbleweed cv,
"Golden State Fence's attorney, Richard Hirsch, admits his client broke the law. But he says the case proves that construction companies need a guest-worker program."

What they need to do is pay an American what he is worth. I find it also ironic that i make as much as or less then a comperable trained mexican. And i'm a citizen. My quility is by far better with much more pride. There only advantage is there work ethic when there fighting to get into the market, once there in i've noticed they get amricanized quickly. Some would even say lazy.

They should throw the book at that company. But i'm sure they are still operating with still a large number of illegals.
Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 07:52 am
@tumbleweed cv,
I agree , throw the book at them and all who knowingly hire illegals , after all , that is illegal also .
0 Replies

oleo

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:07 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;8288 wrote:
"Golden State Fence's attorney, Richard Hirsch, admits his client broke the law. But he says the case proves that construction companies need a guest-worker program."

What they need to do is pay an American what he is worth. I find it also ironic that i make as much as or less then a comperable trained mexican. And i'm a citizen. My quility is by far better with much more pride. There only advantage is there work ethic when there fighting to get into the market, once there in i've noticed they get amricanized quickly. Some would even say lazy.

They should throw the book at that company. But i'm sure they are still operating with still a large number of illegals.

...and I agree with you on this one.

Businesses such as this don't want to pay Americans the wages they deserve, and hide behind the reasoning "Americans are lazy and want too
much." Mexico imports labor from lesser developed countries under the same
excuse, which drives Mexican workers here. Ironic?

As a representative mechanism/protector of the people of this country, this
is where the government is supposed to interfere in the interests of the
majority of the country against big business and corporations. Corporations
have a lobbying, near-bribery machiney in place that gets them what they
want, so it's up to the voters of this country to pay attention to what their
elected officials are doing and take care of it on election day. Issue like this
are more important to the immediate lives of Americans than the smoke screen
issues that get thumped about (and that's no coincidence).

The democratic party was once defined by representing the workers of this
country over the interests of the corporations. They've lost that, but the
Republicans haven't picked up that cause at all (it goes against their basic
concepts). Just another thing I look at and wonder what exactly goes on in
people's heads.
0 Replies