Rumsfeld okayed abuses says former U.S. general

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 02:24 pm
Karpinski insists she knew nothing about the abuse of prisoners until she saw the photos, as interrogation was carried out in a prison wing run by U.S. military intelligence.

Rumsfeld also authorized the army to break the Geneva Conventions by not registering all prisoners, Karpinski said, explaining how she raised the case of one unregistered inmate with an aide to former U.S. commander Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez.

"We received a message from the Pentagon, from the Defense Secretary, ordering us to hold the prisoner without registering him. I now know this happened on various occasions."

Karpinski said last week she was ready to testify against Rumsfeld, if a suit filed by civil rights groups in Germany over Abu Ghraib led to a full investigation.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=politicsNews&storyID=2006-11-25T164527Z_01_L25726413_RTRUKOC_0_US-IRAQ-RUMSFELD.xml&pageNumber=1&imageid=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=NewsArt-C1-ArticlePage1

If the the suit is successful they have a star witness.Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,672 • Replies: 42
No top replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 06:39 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
To bad she didn't say that we were torturing them. What is abuse and nonregistering punishable by? Is it anything like suicide bombing or beheading? Then if he's convicted all they have to do is wait till he leaves the country. Which could be a long time, if ever.
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 06:43 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
Quote:
Rumsfeld also authorized the army to break the Geneva Conventions

Good for him: Don’t Withdraw From Iraq, Withdraw From The Geneva Convention
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 06:46 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
I liked that article Brent.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 07:06 pm
@Drnaline,
Say, isn't that treason? Giving comfort to the enemy?:patriot:
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 07:10 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
I don't know what your talking about? Can you be a little more specific?
tumbleweed cv

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 07:20 pm
@Drnaline,
The star witness is on foreign soil ready to give a sworn statement that slanders our government and the Bush administration.Very Happy
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 07:23 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
Your talking about Karpinski? As far as i know she still has free speech even on foreign soil. It's not slander if she can prove what she says.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 07:29 pm
@Drnaline,
First hand knowledge is convincing.She took the heat for it.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 07:38 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
It's gonna take a little paperwork to colaborate her story. Heat is part of the job. Like they say, if you can't take the heat. Maybe she should get out of the kitchen.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 07:49 pm
@Drnaline,
Rummy could't take the heat of public opinion. A seasoned lawyer would eat him alive.Very Happy
Drnaline

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 07:51 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
tumbleweed;7397 wrote:
Rummy could't take the heat of public opinion. A seasoned lawyer would eat him alive.Very Happy

Sure he would like the american and world press did? Rummy can hold his own but i can't say that for Karpinski.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 07:59 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
In any case, if it goes to court and rummy is there to defend himself. Would you care to wager on it? I'm sure there will be transcripts.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 08:25 pm
@Drnaline,
I don't think there will be a trial.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 08:27 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
You never know, stranger things have happened.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 09:22 pm
@Drnaline,
The last I heard they were trying to get a legal loophole to get the investigation moved throuh their court system.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 07:47 am
@tumbleweed cv,
Investigate is about all they can do.
oleo

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 01:17 pm
@Drnaline,
Hey, I heard the Romans and the Jews redefined torture so that it doesn't
include crucifixion, scourges, lashings or apply to people who attempt to
sabbotage the merchant system in the temples.

Christianity has some editing and redefining to do.

You people are insane. Torture is torture, and if we withdraw from the Geneva convention we lose our decency as a nation. No, the barbarian lunatics of the muslim world don't live by the rules of civilization, and that's why we're better than they are, and will prevail unless we lose touch with that.
NaterG

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 01:22 pm
@oleo,
oleo;7591 wrote:
Hey, I heard the Romans and the Jews redefined torture so that it doesn't
include crucifixion, scourges, lashings or apply to people who attempt to
sabbotage the merchant system in the temples.

Christianity has some editing and redefining to do.

You people are insane. Torture is torture, and if we withdraw from the Geneva convention we lose our decency as a nation. No, the barbarian lunatics of the muslim world don't live by the rules of civilization, and that's why we're better than they are, and will prevail unless we lose touch with that.

In the time of the Revolutionary War, the US used guerrilla type tactics and fighting learned from the Native Americans. The British thought this fighting style uncivilized and against the rules of warfare. They refused to adapt to this style of fighting. Look how well that worked out for them...
tumbleweed cv

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 01:27 pm
@NaterG,
Wow. If we, the U.S. have used guerrilla tactics as a method of war, what's the big deal of our current enemies doing the same?:wtf:

Talk about double standards.Very Happy